Classic Jerry Lewis bits

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Oct 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I prefer his live show on the Champs Elysee:

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It used to always be on tv. Like most of his movies, it sucks. Post-Dean Martin sucked. Period.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Aw, come on. Nutty Professor? The Bellboy? The Errand Boy? Those were funny movies. I agree, right around 1967-1968, Jerry suddenly became uncool and not too funny. Maybe it was The Big Mouth, maybe Don't Raise the Bridge. Those movies were not funny. Jerry himself admits that around this time, he had some serious prescription drug-addiction problems. I don't think he made a good movie until King of Comedy (1983), and that's due more to Scorsese than Lewis. I'm said that Jerry didn't continue to make dramatic films after that, because he clearly did a good job in that film.

GuildX700 likes this.
  4. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I never liked him. My folks would take us kids to the show on Saturday for the bottle cap matinee and I always hated Jerry Lewis. The older I got, the more I hated him.
    I liked Dean Martin. I think Dean Martin was funnier than Lewis was. The Dean Martin show is a classic, especially the roasts. It's kind of ironic that Dean ended up the funniest one.

5. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Dean was a one trick pony, his "drunk". Lewis was light years the better comedian IMO.

6. Vidiot

"Louie, that was your cue!" God, I love that bit.

I think it surprised even Dean Martin that he got so much work after they split up their partnership. Martin made a fortune on his NBC show for almost a decade, all the way through 1974, plus all those "Roast" specials. And let's not forget Dean had almost 30 Top 40 hits and about forty albums over the years. No question, Lewis was a far better comedian, but I think the truth was that Martin was very lucky, had good timing, and found his own very successful niche.

GuildX700 likes this.
  7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I particularly remember watching as a kid "The Family Jewels (1965)" in the theater and thinking, "the guy is the most annoying, unfunny person in the world." So for me, Lewis ended in 1965!

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

9. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

w/ the great Buddy Lester. Though, this YouTube upload is missing the all-important setup.

"What'll it be....hmmmm............?"

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

His appearance on Law And Order: SVU was so good!

jupiter8 likes this.
  11. Vidiot

I have to say, Family Jewels is a very, very bad movie.

12. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I remember one biographer (Nick Tosches?) saying Martin was very talented but about the only time he really worked at his talent was to get out of Youngstown, Ohio and avoid spending his life as a laborer. I suppose after the split his first films were dramas (Young Lions and Some Come Running) where you'd think he'd be cast in a musical comedy. Apparently the MCA talent agency pushed for him instead of Tony Randall in "Young Lions" to get customers from different areas. But it also seems critics assess his talent more highly since his death.

13. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

He did dabble in TV dramas (had a memorable story arc on "Wise Guy") and although I haven't seen it yet, starred in the drama "Max Rose" a couple years back.

14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

His looks was the key. Middle aged women stuck at home in that era swooned over him.

I saw it firsthand with my mom, she bought a lot his albums and watched most of his shows back then.

15. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

16. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

GuildX700 likes this.
  17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...all of Jerry's bits in the Disorderly Orderly! Hysterical!

GuildX700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.