PopMarket: Smiths "Complete" 8CD set $55 shipped, LP set $169

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by tmtomh, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident Thread Starter

I decided to get this CD set - it has much to recommend it, and a couple of the albums arguably are the best-sounding versions on CD, despite the moderate compression/limiting applied during remastering.

I'm posting this notice because this set seems to sell for $99 and up new, and about $65-$75 and up used everywhere I looked.

I've done less research on the LP set, but it appears to be going for $275 and up new on Amazon and discogs.

So I was shocked to see PopMarket has the CD set in new/sealed condition for $55, which I believe was the original "best deal" price in the U.S. when these first came out in 2011:

https://www.popmarket.com/smiths-the-smiths-complete/details/26838343

And here's the LP set:

https://www.popmarket.com/the-smiths-complete-lp-box/details/27862618

(You have to sign up or log in to see the price and order. They list the Super Deluxe version too, but it's out of stock.)

I waited to post this until I'd actually received mine, to make sure PopMarket's listings aren't just an error. But I just received mine and it's pristine - arrived in the factory shrink with the little hype sticker on the outside.

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I tried to order the vinyl box about a month ago. Never shipped even though it was listed as in stock. I asked after two weeks or so if they had a due date for shipping and they couldn't give me one so I cancelled my order.

3. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry to hear that. I can only confirm that they actually shipped the CD set.

4. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

great price on the vinyl. much, much better than what i paid.

5. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Oh well. I got lucky on Amazon and found a set for not much more than the Popmarket price. Been listening to it the last few days.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. Pigalle

Pigalle Forum Resident

£36.99 for the CDs shipped to the UK, seems pretty reasonable.

tmtomh likes this.
  7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I bought the brand-new cd-set from some markets discount-bin here in Finland few years ago and paid only £18.45/25€/$27.49 which was great price.
    It's all I need currently from The Smiths but maybe have to start looking for nice vinyl-editions later if feel like doing so..

tmtomh likes this.
  8. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

This was one of the box sets offered at a steep discount (I think the entire box was $1.99) by Microsoft/Xbox Music last fall -- lossy files, I know, but was still a great price for so much music.

9. van1

van1 Forum Resident

I have the cd set on backorder with popmarket, will have to see if they get stock back in

tmtomh likes this.
  10. Grendel13G

Grendel13G Member

Thanks for the tip! I've had my eye on this for a while.

It's listed as "in stock" right now at PopMarket; I'll post an update if/when I actually get a copy. Edit: Was listed as "in stock" on website, but my e-mail confirmation shows "temporarily backordered". Oh well.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  11. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

If they cancel it, complain abd you'll get a 15% off coupon for your next order. I know this because they constantly do this to me, saying things are in stock only to cancel it later. Oh by the way, they usually don't even notify you that it's canceled. You will have to check your order status.

12. Grendel13G

Grendel13G Member

Thanks! I just popped in to say that my order (placed over two months ago) is still "temporarily backordered." They haven't secretly canceled the order yet, which I guess is something.

13. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Still on back order for me too

14. PJM

PJM Forum Resident

I found "The Smiths Complete" on Amazon a while back used, "Like New"...but it was actually brand new and sealed; there was a very slight cut through the bar code and I think I paid around $50.00 for it. Great set!

lightbulb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.