Queen Vinyl Reissues For 2015 (including boxed set and turntable)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stagnation, Nov 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

My original UK gatefold cover doesn't look too bad, and I mainly prefer if for the jet black background, I do agree that the new photo is much, much better, my only gripe was I would have liked a bit more contrast, but you're right, until I see the real thing I can't accurately comment.

2. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident Thread Starter

Love the new cover for Queen II. But.... it you put the new one side by side with the old one you see that the group appear at the same size and position but the Queen II logo on the new one is slightly lower and leaves a larger gap along the top edge which makes it looks odd. This is probably because i'm so used to seeing the old one and being a graphic designer in my day job little niggles like this. annoy me :rolleyes:

However I'm more pleased that they have straightened the band image out a bit because on the 2011 CD it seemed be at a slight angle

TyphoonTip and jon9091 like this.
  3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I've never seen one like that....a quick look on Discogs didn't reveal anything either.
    Very odd!

Sondek likes this.
  4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

So Queen, Jazz and ADATR arrived yesterday. I only had time to play Jazz, but it sounded great. From some of the reviews of the box set, I'm wondering if the single copies on black vinyl are better pressings than the colored vinyl versions from the box?

5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

For what I have listened to my set so far, these sound great and Im happy with them.

fuhrsy31 likes this.
  6. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

"Queen 1" never was a gatefold, even the Japanese version with lyrics ("Do you think you're better every day? No, I just think all roads just lead right into my grave") was a single plain sleeve. I guess you had some fan-made cover.

7. TyphoonTip

TyphoonTip Forum Resident

8. booker

booker Forum Resident

OK. I wonder how these vinyl reissues compare to the UK 1st press. If you have a minute or less I would like you to have a listen of the snippet from News of The World UK 1st press and if somebody went through NOTW recently reissued on vinyl please let me know if this compares in any way to this original.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jf7h24vtoav1b5s/Sample.wav?dl=0

Booker

9. E()

E() Cat Herder

I opted not to go with the box since Queen started to lose me at Jazz and completely lost me at Hot Space. I got the "black" versions of ST to News. So far, these sound pretty good to me. Haven't done an A/B comparison yet but I am happy with what I have so far.

10. TyphoonTip

TyphoonTip Forum Resident

Here's my impressions of the first 4 from the box. I've cut and pasted QII and ANATO from previous posts just for completeness sake.

One thing I will say initially, is that while the coloured vinyl is clearly a (beautiful) gimmick, I'm now convinced the sound is uncompromised. From my little test that I posted about earlier, to sitting back and generally giving them a spin, the pressing quality and lack of surface noise has been very noticeable. It's completely at odds with any other experience I've had with coloured vinyl. On that front, I could not be more impressed. So for what it's worth, here's my 2 cents so far....

QUEEN
    Flat, centered, completely noise free and generally beautifully pressed. An immaculate representation of the 2011 remaster. Add in the possible beneficial effect of a half decent analogue setup (cart etc..), and the likely result is a more pleasant experience than that in 2011. And so it was for me. A slightly fuller soundstage made this highly enjoyable.

Where does it sit for me amongst other versions? Hard to say. My two other favs are the 1st UK vinyl, which has balls and a mid range to kill for; the other is the UK CDP CD, which is beautifully detailed, but perhaps lacks some beef. While not perfect, this 2015 vinyl does seem to find a middle ground. Nicely detailed, while retaining enough mid and bottom to thump your chest if you so chose. And thankfully, it's one of the very few in this series where the compression/limiting is at a minimum.

In the end, I like all three for different reasons, so I'm reluctant to pick. But if I felt the urge to listen to this album again, I'd probably whip out my purple LP.

QUEEN II
    As a representation of the 2011 remaster, it's fantastic (also flat and noise free). And as I'd hoped, it even sounds slightly more pleasing, with a slightly more pronounced soundstage. Although this most likely due to the artifice that analogue equipment can provide. ...and perhaps on another day, I might not hold that opinion so strongly.

When compared to the 1st UK vinyl, for mine there is simply no comparison. I love that 1st press, but it is frustratingly inconsistent, revealing all the infamous deteriorations that the tapes sustained throughout the recording. There are moments where it sounds amazing, and others where you feel like someone has sneakily placed earmuffs on you. By comparison the 2011/15 is a tasteful consistent clean up EQ wise. That's not to say that the 2011/15 is perfect by any means. There are certainly moments of unfortunate, and obvious limiting. But they are not overbearing, and in the end the good overwhelmingly outweighs the bad.

SHEER HEART ATTACK
    Again the pressing is totally flawless in every way. The iridescent, slightly transparent red is also very very cool.

In 2011, this was one of the biggest disappointments for me. It was just a little too loud, although it would get MUCH worse as the series progressed. Also the EQ just seemed a little skewed. We all have aural images in our heads as to what albums should sound like, and this just didn't sound like SHA to me. A bit too much detail and a slightly gutted midrange left me a bit cold.

The 2015 LP is a little better. The more pronounced soundstage gives it a little more 'air' that the compression takes away. So it's a reasonably pleasant listen. I probably enjoyed it more than I expected and maybe will give it more time. But really, it doesn't come close to the UK 1st press LP. .....although there are moments on that 1st press where I wish it was a teensy bit more detailed, but anyway.....

A NIGHT AT THE OPERA
    So effectively the source for this is still the 2005 remaster, which is generally held in reasonably high regard.The vinyl of that just pips my DCC as my 'go too'. And much to me delight (and surprise), the 2015 vinyl is fantastically on point (flat and noise free), and represents that master as well as anyone could have hoped IMO. There is of course a slight jacking of BoRhap (as it was from 2005 to 2011), but honestly, it's not particularly distracting....although it is unnecessary. And for that, and a few other minor (anal) reasons, I still prefer the 2005 vinyl.

One of the reasons I like the 2005/15remaster is the fact that, for the most part, it's quite faithful to the EQ profile of the UK 1st vinyl ('Mr Blairs").I pulled out that press and A/B-ed it with the 2005 and 2015 to check whether I was going mad, but I pretty much came to the same conclusion. This is not to say there aren't differences. Mr Blairs has slightly fuller mids, and is slightly bass shy, by comparison. Though it still sounds fantastic.

Here's the interesting thing though, if you compare 2005/11 to 'Blairs' (..a press which predates 'Mr Blairs', by a few weeks in 1975),then it's a whole other story. I would then agree that 2005/15 sounds 'smiley faced' by comparison. However I would also say that 'Blairs' sounds about as flat and lifeless as that album has ever sounded. ....This seems to have been noticed at the time, with the two distinctively different sounding UK presses coming just weeks apart.

As an aside, of the worthy listens IMO, for this album, it's the DCC and the MFSL that are a real departure from the signature 1st press sound. Both are great, with the DCC having a certain magic about it.
    ____

I warn you, the likelihood of me to being complementary from here on in is slim. Back in 2011 everything started going south from Opera on IMO .... But I'll keep an open mind and see how it goes.

SammyJoe, Davidmk5, Roland S. and 5 others like this.
  11. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

Listened to News of the World earlier today and now spinning Jazz. I think they both sound good. I admit, I haven't heard any early pressings of Queen both in my book these two sound better than the earlier records in the box set (probably recorded better to begin with?).

Davidmk5, TyphoonTip and imarcq like this.
  12. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I just listed to The Miracle. I never have been a big fan of this album, but this record sounds amazing to me. It may just make me a fan of this album after all.

Davidmk5, Juggsnelson, Sondek and 2 others like this.
  13. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

I was able to listen to News of the World last night (hope to continue on to Jazz and The Game tonight), so here's my take on it...

News of the World
    Once again, pressed perfectly flat like all the others in the box so far, and that translucent green is pretty slick (I think my favorite color in the set might actually be the translucent orange of A Kind of Magic...just something about that orange); no surface noise either.
    In comparison to the other copies I have (UK 1st press - NM; US 1st press - NM), I would rank this easily above the US, and just below the UK. The best analogy I can think of to compare this new version with the UK original is in movie terms. The UK original is like seeing a great movie in wide 70mm with a nice speaker setup; this new version is like seeing that same great movie in standard 35mm, but with extra beefy speakers. You're still seeing a great movie - just a different experience - but a win-win in both cases.

I love how wide the soundscape seems to be on the UK original even though it's not overpowering on the low end (although "We Will Rock You" and "Sheer Heart Attack" are plenty powerful) - everything has plenty of room to breathe; conversely, I like the added "oomph" to the lower end on this new version (the last half of "Sheer Heart Attack" is heavy...so awesome!), even though the soundscape seems to be more narrow and not as airy.

All that said, I really enjoyed the whole album. I got my UK 1st press last year for $20-25, so I wouldn't think they would be too much higher priced than that currently, perhaps making it still more affordable than the new version out now. You can't go wrong with either one, really. Now, of the US originals I have (Queen I, Sheer Heart Attack, ANATO, ADATR, NOTW), I find them all to be rather thin and lifeless with the exception of Queen I and ADATR - so these new versions are a nice step up.

14. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

That 'Fame' budget-price issue of QII was the worst version of any Queen album I ever heard. And I had a LOT.

Sondek, TyphoonTip and mr.dave like this.
  15. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

And I wouldn't even pay that much.

16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I today carefully examined all albums and listened to bits here and there, all is looking and sounding nice so Im satisfied with the purchase.
    But unfornately I have found one problem within my boxset, "Jazz"-album has some strange glue or something stuck on the track 2 on side 1 during "Fat Bottomed Girls".
    I tried cleaning it and playing but it wont be better at all...so I contacted Amazon.it and they will kindly soon send me replacement box (as they like to exchange the whole box).
    So, no worries at all as I will then gladly exchange the error disc to pristine copy.
    Amazon will fully refund return-postages (like they have always done) so I don't have to worry how high the postage must be due to size and weight of the package.
    Few times I have had to exchange/return items to Amazon or other retailers but never big box like this one.

17. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

And Im not sure what that thing is within the "Jazz" grooves but it won't get clean at all.
    So, Im here waiting for the pristine replacement to arrive..

18. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Just played The Miracle and A Kind Of Magic this morning again and I also really enjoyed them. My one beef is I wish One Vision had more aggressive EQ. Personally, I love that song but it comes across a little subdued on the 2015 remaster. Cranking the volume helps but I really think this song should jump out of the speakers a bit more than it does here. The rest of the album sounds great and the vinyl IS beautiful. My favorite vinyl aesthetically though is still that emerald green NOTW.

Scotbot likes this.
  19. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I didn't know any better back in then in the 80s. :(

20. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Having bought Queen, Queen II and Sheer Heart Attack, I've just ordered A Night At The Opera. I think I might end up buying the lot one by one..... :goodie:

Davidmk5 and TyphoonTip like this.
  21. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I found the same sort of substance on my copy too. But it was on Mustapha. Can't seem to get it off.

22. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Neither did I; it was only a collection filler for me. One listen told me it would never be a playing copy. Those 'Fame' lps were definitely a mixed bunch, though; my copies of Kate Bush's 'The Kick Inside' and Gerry Rafferty's 'City To City' are pretty decent. My copy of 'QII' was very strange. Side Black had the top end disappearing and reappearing for the whole of the side. That MUST have happened during mastering.

23. No test pressing?

24. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

Continued on to Jazz and The Game last night...both pieces were pressed flat and just a few soft crackles in a couple spots. This copy of Jazz was a bit frustrating for me like ANATO in this set, while this copy of The Game became my new "go-to" (yeah, I'm excited too, thanks) :p.

Jazz
    This new version was being compared to my Canadian original pressing that sounds amazing, so it had a lot to live up to...and it actually could have if not for pesky fluctuations in volume in over half the songs - argh! The volume problems started during the first song - I thought I just needed to turn the volume up more at first until the "regular" volume levels exploded out of the speakers. So, I turned it back down to where I had the volume set for all the other albums in this set, and just lived with the bouncy volume. The most frustrating thing about it was that when the volume during the song went back to normal levels, everything sounded full with awesome detail - would have beat my old Canadian pressing if it could have stayed stabilized. Unfortunately, an invisible blanket periodically fell over my speakers. Luckily, my favorite song on the album, "Leaving Home Ain't Easy", had stable volume throughout and sounded fantastic. I've also grown fond of the final song "More of that Jazz" - Brian May's guitar sound is just filthy on that - so good!

The Game
    No volume problems on this one! This new version was being compared to my Canadian original pressing as well - which sounds really good, but not amazingly good...detail isn't really dialed in that sharp. This new version won. Overall, had nice separation, great depth, and fantastic detail...really enjoyed it! It's right there with ADATR as being the best sounding album in the box set (well, in my box set anyway). "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" in particular was quite eye (and ear)-opening as it actually sounded like they were "in the room". Two of my favorite songs on the album are the lesser known "Need Your Loving Tonight" and "Coming Soon", and man, they sounded better than ever.

I don't have UK 1st presses for these two, so would be interested to hear how these two stack up to those.

Whew! Done with my "reviews" now for the albums in this set...finally (haha)! I don't have original copies on vinyl for the remaining albums, so I really can't make any fair comparisons with those. Hearing Flash Gordon thru Made in Heaven on vinyl will be an all-new experience for me.

Thanks for reading my takes on these - I'm stepping out (queue great ELO song of the same name), but will continue to enjoy reading everyone else's joys/frustrations.
    :cheers:

Geee!, Davidmk5, Juggsnelson and 3 others like this.
  25. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

TyphoonTip likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.