Appreciation Thread: Beatles Alternate "Strawberry Fields Forever" Footage from Revolver Records!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Bass, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Bass

Mike Bass Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are rumors going around that Beatles 1+ will include two versions of "Strawberry Fields Forever". My guess is that a second version would be hidden as an easter egg. Perhaps this is the alternate version...

And please, no complaining about the watermark. It's a privilege that this gentleman is sharing his collection with us :righton:

2. I Walk Like A Panther

I Walk Like A Panther Forum Resident

That damn watermark! What the hell!

Keith V and Mike Bass like this.
  3. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

GREAT! thanks for posting the clip, Mike ... it's amazing to see these different shots! :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Mike Bass likes this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

How different is this. Don't have the regular clip memorized. Clearly from the same shoot.

5. Mike Bass

They are all different shots, similar to the end product. You also get to see how Paul really jumped up the tree :laugh:

6. Mike Bass

Poor Paul:biglaugh:I wonder how long he had to hang from the tree!!

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  7. introspective88

introspective88 Forum Resident

Incredible footage. I don't give a sh1t about the watermark, I'm just grateful that Keith/Revolver Records has made this available. These unseen clips coming to the surface, plus the upcoming remastered promo film set is turning this into a golden year for Fabs fans.. :edthumbs:

ted321 likes this.
  8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Great video, but is it different? ;)

qrysdonnell likes this.
  9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Easter egg??? Once again, the wicked forces at Apple seek to bury the genius of John Lennon! :realmad: ;)

Mike Bass likes this.
  10. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

It's different throughout...

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I was making a joke based on the two DIFFERENT marks on the screen.

12. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

The stereo mix seems a little different from the 1966 and 1971 ones too.

13. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Ooops -- I hardly noticed those! :D

supermd and Mike Bass like this.
  14. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Didn't the Beatles allegedly record as song called "I should like to live up a tree"? Maybe this is where they got the inspiration for it.

15. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Here's another version that mixes released and unreleased footage. It includes some unreleased footage not in the Revolver version. It was posted a year ago on Youtube, but I only found it when I was googling for the Revolver version today.
    Positives: It has no watermark and it uses Take 7 of SFF.
    Negatives: For some reason who ever put this together decided to put it in widescreen.

Lost In The Flood and Yosi like this.
  16. introspective88

introspective88 Forum Resident

This is just the Anthology edit which included home movie clips. What I'm most looking forward to regarding the upcoming remastered promo film collection is seeing all the mini films in their original (unbutchered) form, with the additional bonus of newly mixed audio. Gonna be ace..!!

17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

If these were just unused clips that were laying around, why would they look so good?
    Clearly, someone (Apple?) must have done some work on restoring these, or wouldn't they look much more like that unrestored, pink toned copy of Penny Lane that was shown a while back while it was being restored?

Mike Bass likes this.
  18. bennie

bennie Forum Resident

According to WogBlog: "This is one version you won't be getting as part of your " Beatles 1+[​IMG]" package."

19. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

Excellent, excellent stuff. Imagine trying to get the four of them to successfully run backward.

20. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well, not quite. That title originally came from a reporter mishearing the lyrics of the in-progress "Octopus's Garden" - though they DID do a little improvised ditty in January 1969 that seems to fit this title somewhat.

21. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Why not just reverse the footage?? (I never realized until now - seeing them all fail at it - that they WERE running backwards!)

22. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Looking at Paul near the start, I think 'successfully' might be a bit strong! :D

Nice footage. I think the only familiar shot was the close ups of George walking around near the end, the rest is new. FAB!

23. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

A big thanks to Keith from Revolver Records and Video. Keith, any chance you can provide some background on the alternate SFF clip? Not where you got it from but with regards to the content. Do you know if it is a legitimate cut from the Beatles camp or if it was assembled by a fan from unedited footage? And any idea of the year it was made? :thumbsup:

24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

The audio is the original stereo mix.

The giveaway is the quick pan from left to right of the strings when Take 7 meets Takes 26 and the swarmandal is centered rather than panned.

25. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don’t know the provenance of the footage, but it’s worth mentioning that the stuff “Revolver” is posting on YouTube is probably not a case of someone sitting on old film reels for decades and then handing them over. Judging by some of the other stuff that has surfaced (such as early 90s Furmanek restorations of Shea Stadium and “Let It Be”, the latter of which “Revolver” has posted clips from), and judging by the quality of what they’re posting (generally good, like a low generation VHS dub), I’m guessing they’ve tapped into some source that has rough cuts/VHS dubs of stuff prepped in the late 80s and early 90s in-house by Apple, before and perhaps during the “Anthology” timeframe. (Similarly, their 1980 Lennon studio footage is, again I’m guessing, not a case of someone having the original uncut 1980 footage, but rather rough cuts and/or trims pulled for possible use in the 1998 “I’m Losing You” music video).

Some folks keep thinking this stuff leaking onto YouTube has any correlation to upcoming Apple projects, as if this stuff is leaking as it’s being prepped. But I’m guessing that’s not the case (e.g. a 1992 version of “Let It Be” surfacing has nothing to do with whether a Blu-ray release of the film is imminent or not). It seems to be more like a relic of what was floating around Apple 20-25 years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.