The Beatles 1 and 1+ : DVD, Blu-ray, CD, Vinyl releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by abbeyrdsteve, Sep 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Guys, I listened to the Fab 4 Free 4 All podcast where they speak about their attendance of the 1+ preview screening, and I was listening for what Mitch said about a 2nd SFF video. It sounds like he just got his information wrong. I have been listening to these guys for years, and they have made errors like this all the time, even when they are reviewing a package that just came out (which is understandable, given all the small details about what duplicate videos we're getting). I remember listening to their podcasts on the 2009 stereo remasters right after they came out, and they made multiple mistakes, such as saying the version of "Day Tripper" included on Past Masters was missing the tambourine edit (when, in reality, it did include the tambourine edit). I think he's just mistaken. I wouldn't get my hopes up on this. Give it a listen for yourself: http://www.fab4free4all.com/streaming-episodes.html

Mitch: "We don't know what the second Strawberry Fields is going to be."
    Rob: "Right, right, they didn't show that."

It was all said very casually, as if it was common knowledge. They would have said something like, "We found out that there is a second SFF video included on the set!"

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    theMess likes this.
  2. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

It's a very well-kept state secret, but the screaming used came from a '72 in-concert recording of The Partridge Family. :winkgrin:

3. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Because The Beatles were a lousy live band due to the mania and spectacle I guess, listen to how tight they were in Hamburg compared to 1966 as an example, then listen again to how tight they sounded in 1969 on the rooftop, if they would have done a 'live' album in the 1960's at the height of there fame you can bet your life it would have been done in the studio with a fake audience etc !!

McCool likes this.
  4. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Pop Gear

goodiesguy and Dinstun like this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Another note from the Fab 4 Free 4 All podcast: Revolution is in its original mono mix and has not been remixed into stereo (apparently, this is the only studio song to have not received a new stereo mix).

theMess likes this.
  6. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I don't mind because I've always like the punch that Revolution has in mono...and we still get the live vocals and bop shoo be doo wop backings. I even think the 45 mono mix of Revolution has a better feel than the LOVE stereo remix.
    But that brings up another question:
    Does that imply that Love Me DO must be in some type of (fake?) stereo?

7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yes, fear not: live vocals and shoo-be-doo-wop backing vocals are included. :D

crossroads69, crispi and theMess like this.
  8. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I've always disliked those out of place "shoo be doo wops" in the fast version, but I'm still glad the original presentation is being retained with them.

9. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

So. Are we talking about the mono being on the remixed "1" CD, and on the soundtrack to the DVD/BluRay?
    Or do you think it will be mono on the CD, but that there will be a mono fake 5.1 surround (like Miramax's AHDN 5.1)?

10. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

There is more missing dialogue than just right at the start of MMT. :)

11. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Revolution is not on the CD.

JimC likes this.
  12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

"Revolution" will not be on the remixed 1 CD. As for 5.1, I am not sure. Maybe that will only have a mono option. I am only passing along what I have heard.

13. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

At least we have the BBC tracks for a good approximation of the band live - without the screams as a bonus!

Even some of the Live BBC cuts are great though are mostly early early stuff.

14. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Thanks. I forgot that it was not a #1.

15. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Good catch, I had forgotten about that. I am guessing those live vocals don't really exist on separate track to enable a new clean remix of that performance.

Thankfully, we got that great stereo/5.1 remix of the studio Revolution single on Love album and so its actually nice to get another unique version in the 1+ package.

supermd likes this.
  16. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Agreed, that will always remain a big gap in The Beatles recorded history. While EMI took care to record them in pristine quality at Abbey Road and did a great job of archiving those tapes (including multi tracks!), no such effort was put t record them at live gigs. I guess the 1963-64 phase was just too crazy for everybody and by 1965, The Beatles had started losing interest in playing live.

Its a shame that Paul couldn't get them back on the road in 1969 - by then, the mania (in terms of screaming) would've largely gone away and recording equipment such as mobile trucks were available to capture live shows in 4 or even 8 tracks. This makes the Get Back sessions and specifically the rooftop gig very precious elements in The Beatles story.

17. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Ok, can you guys please explain what I'm watching here? Because.............
    I've see countless Bootleg 'Attempts' at piecing together a Video version of the HollyWood Bowl concert, but because it was not properly filmed, afaik, the booters used all sorts of 'tricks' to sort of fake a complete video of the concert. So what, at 31 minuites long, is THIS?????
    the beave

18. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Read the description..it's PURE BEATLEMANIA!!!!

[started circulating a few months back, the audio was the big draw]

theMess likes this.
  19. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

Which belies obviously the true crime in all of this that due to the demographic to which they were performing to, they were never able to incorporate any of the unique tracks they recorded for the BBC into their live sets.

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  20. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

To me the true treasure throve of live tracks are the BBC tracks. So glad so many were saved.

goodiesguy, Simon A, theMess and 2 others like this.
  21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Do you know anything about the audio quality of the show from the summer of 1963 that was discovered? Do you think anything from this concert would be included in the live compilation?

22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

It's not up to the standard of Washington, Paris, Melbourne, more along the lines of Vancouver 64 or Atlanta 65. It's big advantages are the audience numbers around 800 and so the screaming is less than in bigger shows, and the songs include some not heard live at later shows. As to whether parts of it will be on this putative new album, hopefully yes, most likely no.

23. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The Beatles regularly performed Some Other Guy at 1963 shows, where they also performed BBC radio favourites Long Tall Sally, Roll Over Beethoven, Kansas City long before they recorded them at EMI.

24. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Don't you mean the "threasure throve"?? ;)

kronning and theMess like this.
  25. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I wonder exactly when they dropped it. The Big Three's version came out in March 1963 .. I wonder if that was an influence on them stopping performing it. (and not recording it at EMI).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.