Do any of these mall music stores still exist?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by PaulKTF, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Have you seen any of these stores in your local mall lately?

Sam Goody.
    Musicland.
    Camelot.

I know F.Y.E apparently still exists in some malls (right?) but I can't find any evidence that any of the above ones still exist. I assume the company that owns F.Y.E bought the above brands and just converted them all to F.Y.E?

2. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

This is what happened. Company's name is Trans World I believe. Most of the FYE's in my travels have closed shop, as they couldn't keep up with the market.

For all the complaints the locals (including me) have about Newbury Comics de-emphasis of music, from a business perspective they did the right thing insofar as keeping the stores open is concerned.

clhboa and ARK like this.
  4. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

I agree with this. I'm grateful they are surviving and arguably thriving even if I'm disappointed in their continually decreasing cd sections. Still, I come home with something more often than I don't.

I do wonder, however, how Bullmoose, seems to be making it work it ha strong focus on music. If anything, they appear to be moving in the opposite direction by opening bigger stores with mor music.

5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

From what I've seen Bull Moose recently added books and has always had strong video game and movie selections. With no special insight, I've noticed that they've emphasized movies in their recent newsletters. Not sure if this is due to the slowdown of summer music releases or the dumb (IMO) change of music release day from Tuesday to Friday.

ARK likes this.
  6. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

In Miami, no, no and no.

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Wikipedia: Sam Goody and Musicland ultimately were owned by the same corporation, and both went belly-up in 2006. Suncoast as well (remember that mall staple?). Camelot and The Wall were eventually merged into F.Y.E.

My local F.Y.E. is gone too, but I believe they still exists elsewhere. Kind of sad as I needed somewhere to peruse music while the kids go clothes shopping. :)

clhboa likes this.
  8. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Still got tons of stuff sealed from Sam Goody's going out business sale. One of these days I'll get to all of 'em. The same company owned Media Play and Suncoast. They all went under around 2005 IIRC.

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Two words: they care.

redmetalmoose and zen archer like this.
  10. I still know of one or two FYEs that exist in malls. They seem to survive these days on used DVD sales, though they still carry some music.

11. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

In Canada we have HMV and Sunrise Records and to a smaller extent Sam the record man. All still exist in malls. But while HMV is in almost every big mall, the other two are far and few between.

12. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

Sam The Record Man still exists? My local one closed down in maybe 2003 or so. I thought the whole chain went out of business
    HMV is still hanging in there somehow, but all of the other big chains like Music World and CD Plus are long gone.

13. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

The chains here in Florida (Spec's, Waves, Coconuts) also ended up as part of Trans World.

All the stand-alone stores closed, then most of the F.Y.E.'s in the malls went belly up. The only place to buy music in our local mall is Hot Topic. Thankfully there are plenty of independent shops around here.

black sheriff likes this.
  14. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

An FYE occupies the site of the former Tower Records in Torrance CA. I've gone a few times over the years but not for a long time. Frankly it's one of the saddest places on earth imo, not only as it reminds me of the glory that was once my local Tower but as it exhibits the worst aspects of profit-at-any-cost tactics. Crappy selection, no attention to detail in organizing CD's, the occasional vintage MFSL/DCC discs starting at $70, etc etc etc.

Mr. H likes this.
  15. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

There's a Sam The Record Man in Belleville ON, there's also a decent, by their standards,HMV in the same mall no doubt the presence SAMs so close by contributes to this.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

All gone, along with most other stores that at one time had a pervasive presence in the malls (The Wall, Wherehouse, etc.).

Most of these stores were crap for new releases (high prices), but I liked having them around to burn time while my daughter did her shopping elsewhere. And most of them had occasionally interesting cutout/discount bins.

Now most malls have neither record stores nor bookstores. That's sad...

clhboa and black sheriff like this.
  17. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

All gone in my neck of the woods too. Used to have Wherehouse, Licorice Pizza, several Mom & Pop types for the good stuff. Even Borders went bye-bye. The single place left to buy music is Best Buy, and that's CD's only, so-so selection.

18. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Not to mention my local one sold me three used CDs which the manager told me were garaunteed. As soon as I walked out of the store I opened them and they all looked like they had been dragged across asphalt. The manager "had no idea how those could have slipped in there! we inspect everything!"

19. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I was in SAMs in Belleville today, they had a load of Beatles picture disc lp's of questionable legitimacy for sale at $60 a pop!

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I was pleasantly surprised to see an HMV in a mall in Windsor, ON earlier this year. They had a good selection of CDs by today's standards.

Trapper J likes this.
  21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

There are still some Disc Replay stores in the Midwest. The stores I've been to in the past year or so had no music, just movies and video games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.