Jimi Hendrix Atlanta Pop Festival

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeInFla, Jun 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

I just don't understand how multi cams can be shut off all at once. Or maybe the ones that were rolling only showed Billy and Mitch??? We have the same issues at the IOW. Oy!

BTW for those who have the audio, EH claims the film crew's audio was used to patch the beginning of AATW...simply false, that's the well known audience tape. I wonder why EH had to lie about that one?

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The upcoming DVD only has sync footage of 1 song that wasn't previously released on LD/VHS. With so many "missing" songs the crew must have had some system so they capture footage of some songs and completely ignore others. This is especially important with the other acts filmed that weekend where they only wanted 1-2 songs for those that played in the afternoon.

EH has had no problem if there was only 1 camera running for a certain songs as they've done on about 4-5 other video releases.

Purple Jim likes this.
  3. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Wonder if they filmed Hey Baby ....................... of course they did. Here we have an example of deliberate exclusion, as on the audio release.
    As already stated here, The Jimi Hendrix Experience were headliners so I doubt very much the same "one or two" songs approach was applicable. As for the length of Hendrix's performance the organisers would have had an idea of that pre performance. The plan was to set off the fireworks during SSB? That was part of the encore which looks like it was pre planned.

So, knowing how much each camera had of available footage would have ensured the entire performance was filmed.

Of course we can debate the ifs and buts of this all day long though the fact that the point of what was filmed [the entire 90 mins] was clearly stated well before this project was even thought of.

Purple Jim likes this.
  4. Socrates

Socrates Forum Resident

Yeah, that's what I saw on tv. I loved it.

5. SoundAdvice

Suggesting EH is with holding sync footage of 5 songs form the home video is a very bold claim. Is your only source the director bragging during film fest appearance showing a general film about the entire fest?

Even if everything was pre-planned, if there's only 5-6 camera and film reels are only 20 minutes with several minutes to change reels there's no way to cover everything properly without leaving big gaps. I'm sure extreme and possible drug use amongst the camera crew makes capturing the who thing difficult.

Woodstock had more stashed film reels than Atlanta, and even then there was a funny story of Jimi begging the 1-2 camera guys to start filming before he laid into THAT version of Star Spangled.

6. Gordon Johnson

Your suggesting not me. I have only claimed Hey baby is being [possibly? see below] withheld.
    My source? As stated the claim of the entire 90 mins being filmed was made way before this project was even thought of, see my post above, oh you did cos you quoted it!!!

"Even if everything was pre-planned, if there's only 5-6 camera and film reels are only 20 minutes with several minutes to change reels there's no way to cover everything properly without leaving big gaps. I'm sure extreme and possible drug use amongst the camera crew makes capturing the who thing difficult." Really, your just making this stuff up to suit! IF!! We have yet to conclude the number of camera persons, is a reel of film 20 mins? We have yet to establish just how long it takes to change a reel. Sure, we may have bits here and there missing but we do not have entire songs unfilmed that much I know.
    So, you saying that I'm claiming [boldly] EH are withholding, well you need to revisit some earlier posts as they contain other reasons as to why material may or may not be excluded. You sure do have a bee in your bonnet about what I [boldly] or otherwise] claim :)

7. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

The odd thing is no film of "Lover Man," the second song of the show. Hard to believe all cams were rolling during the opener, "Fire," and then all cams were shut down only to re-start for "Spanish Castle Magic," the third song.

I always wondered if Jimi was done with this show after "Voodoo Child." Pretty rare for him to do an encore. After "Voodoo Child" he is ready to leave and then someone comes up to him...was that guy saying "wait, can you play a little longer, we have all these fireworks!"??? Maybe Jimi was told before the gig of the plan to light off fireworks during "SSB" and then he teases the organizers by starting "SSB" before "Purple Haze" just to mess with them.

Purple Jim likes this.
  8. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Has anybody researched WHO the cameramen/women were or WHAT COMPANY was hired to do the filming. I'm sure one of them must be on facebook and could probably be nicely prodded to answer some questions.
    I mean why keep going on with all this speculation when there surely is at least one cameraman that was filming this that could enlighten us/
    the beave

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  9. SoundAdvice

Were the camera men listed in the showtime special credit roll?

10. The Beave

They should be, cameramen/women are usually given credit. And then the company that was hired to film the event, that should be public record maybe, whomever organized the festival should have had all that information laid out. then it's just a matter of maybe shooting some emails, there might be some of those people, who like me, don't do facebook, or even some that maybe don't do the internet. It wouldn't surprise me. But this crew was part of a company, and there was some kind of 'plan' for them.
    the beave

11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I just checked the credits from the Showtime special. There were five camera operators and an additional director of photography. The operators were Allen Facemire, Danny Lerner, Murray Campbell, Jim Rowley and Alan Quevada. The director of photography was John Butterworth.

12. Gordon Johnson

Nice someone took time out :)

13. SoundAdvice

Thank You.

Time to start digging - they'd should be about 65-75 years old now.

14. SoundAdvice

https://www.facebook.com/allenface
    There's one

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/john-butterworth-jr/89/183/b36
    this is a maybe

https://www.facebook.com/Jim.Rowley
    maybe

Can't find the other 3 that look likely and I'm now running off friends before a Neil Young show here in Vancouver.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    jhm likes this.
  15. The Beave

Excellent detective work.

You never know how this will turn out.
    I remember somebody a few years ago contacting, or putting a 'feeler' out to a guy who used to be Vice President of Mobile Fidelity, the original........and he responded! Boy did he respond with some cool Rolling Stones information.........like the whole Abkco RS tape library that they offered to MOFI.

so you never know.........

the beave

jhm likes this.
  16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Would you stop bringing common sense and reason to this forum? :D
    Have fun at NY!

17. SoundAdvice

I haven't sent any PMs and am not planning to do so. I'm only mildly curious if they had some system(walkie talkie or flag/light buld side stage) when deciding which songs to film and which to skip.

18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

19. SoundAdvice

jhm likes this.
  20. misterie

misterie Forum Resident

I was interested in getting more live Hendrix on vinyl, so the other day I got a copy of the Purple Haze Records 2013 2xLP of The Rainbow Bridge Concert (i.e. Maui 1970). It's 180g and very lovingly put together for an unofficial release, with beautiful artwork and pretty nice packaging. For a bootleg of a show that suffered such recording problems, it sounds surprisingly good. Better than the high-quality mp3 rip of the album I have on my computer, much better. Certainly still sounds like a bootleg, but it could be so much worse. And of course on songs like Hey Baby/In From the Storm you get a much improved sound, especially with the drums, and it sounds excellent. I avoided purchasing this one for a while because I figured it wouldn't make much difference from the mp3s I already had, but really it is worth it -- especially if you, like me, consider Maui to be Jimi's greatest show (at the very least, it's in the top 3).

The show just flows so beautifully, and all the versions of well-known classics here (PH, VC/SR, Fire, etc.) are absolutely superb. The rendition of Hear My Train is ferocious and probably only second to the famous Berkeley cut. And the newer tracks are just as outstanding -- Hey Baby rivals the studio cut as the best version of that song around, and in the second set Jimi plays my favorite version of Ezy Ryder, delivering a real passionate vocal performance where he stresses the first syllable in certain words to powerful effect, e.g. "There goes ezy, ezy RYYY-der, riding down the highway of desire/He says the free wind, takes him HIIGHH-er," etc.

Jimi's just on fire throughout, his playing is magnificently fluid and free and emotive and raw. You can tell he's in a good mood and it helps a lot. The show is both beautifully loose and informal and "fun," and yet virtually never strays into the realm of sloppiness as even many of Jimi's best shows sometimes do. It also has one of my favorite bits of between-song banter of any Jimi set -- before (I think) Voodoo Child (SR), Jimi reverts to sarcasm about playing the oldies before apologizing humorously: "Here's a song you may remember; some people will never forget it.... including me, I'm sorry, including me..." Paraphrasing there, but I just find it a bizarrely funny moment in that unique way only Jimi could pull off.

Anyway, I have the feeling I'm gonna be playing this 2xLP set a hell of a lot in the coming weeks -- probably far more than the Atlanta set, really, which I'm more likely to stick on for a few specific songs (like that amazing version of Room Full of Mirrors, wow). I'd highly recommend anybody into vinyl and the amazing Maui show seek it out. PH Records really have done a wonderful job with such a battered recording. Now fingers crossed that one day we'll get this show in better quality....

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    vinyldreams and Purple Jim like this.
  21. Gordon Johnson

Nothing to do with OP :)
    Bootleg review which I thought was not part of this forum [not including reference to bootlegs of course].

But my main issue is that you compare an album mastered to vinyl against an mp3?!?
    Any idea of what the source for this bootleg was as I am aware that some material from this group has been sourced from mp3 in the past. Do we know if this was sourced from mp3 to vinyl?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    dino77 likes this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

We are allowed to discuss bootlegs as long as we don't discuss how and where to obtain them. :D

23. Gordon Johnson

Under the heading Site Rules .........................

Forbidden Topics
    Bootlegged or pirated materials
    and how to acquire them.

And as the post was a review of a bootleg ........................ just saying, just pointing out.

But I'm happy to discuss anything on or off topic, including bootlegs if it has a Hendrix link.

So, what was the source of this bootleg? As we all know this group [ regardless of what name they use here] does source material from collectors and has been know to source mp3 from those stupid enough to compress a recording.

24. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

We actually started a thread about the Rolling Stones best bootlegs and the Gorts told us we could discuss them as long as we didn't talk about how and where to acquire them.

rburly likes this.
  25. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

Lookout... The hall monitor is coming..

Fox67 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.