"The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" thread.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jun 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Life long, devout Catholic (and Deacon in training)...loved it. Absolutely loved it. Loved the Pope chair.

2. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I'm not talking about offense or anything like that, just too many and mostly not so funny. Everyone has a different funny bone.

3. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I hope not. Charlie Rose is a pretty boring interviewer.

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

To each their own but I like Charlie's show. Just a straight interview. No audience, band, glitzy set, leg kicking, joke filled monologue, skits, games ( aka Fallon ). His show is not meant to compete with or compare to a late night talk show. Of course I liked Dick Cavett and I'm sure a lot of people now days when find him boring. I'm not a complete dud though, I used to love Craig Ferguson's show which was about as goofy as you could get.

5. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I did laugh at the Vatican Guard running out to protect the toy popemobile last night.

6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I really enjoyed the under the stars bit with Tom Hanks. They both made it fun and enjoyable. I liked the way they were often pointing at stars in the sky throughout.

Mr. H likes this.
  7. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It's a nice bit. He did it in an earlier episode but I forget with which celebrity.

Loving the house band, too. Might have to pick up some of their stuff.

8. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Does anybody know why sometimes there's a 'vertical hold problem' when they show the Ed Sullivan Theatre in the opening credits?
    Sometimes it one time, sometimes it's four times..... is it an 'inside joke'?

9. Dr. Pepper

Scarlett Johansson, but it was much improved with Tom Hanks. I hope they keep coming back to it. If he did the bit with Donald Trump it would be an absolute classic.

Mr. H likes this.
  10. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Totally love the show. I record it and look forward to watching it in the morning. I hope he lets the band play a bit more on air. Can't beat fun loving NOLA bands. Colbert is a trip. Did you see when he accidently flipped off his own glasses the other night? Too funny.

OldSoul likes this.
  11. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Yeah, this is exactly what I don't like about the new show. It seems like we have the silly Colbert, the erudite witty Colbert (a la Jon Stewart), and the serious, sharp as a tack debate tiger Colbert. I love the second two, but can't bear to watch the silly Colbert, and I think that side of him is very much at odds with the thoughtful, non celebrity-culture guests that he's been presenting. I've been DVR'ing the shows and enjoy the harder hitting stuff, but I need to fast forward over the goofy bits, and probably wouldn't watch it live for that reason.

BTW, I think he dropped the ball with Trump. 60 Minutes did a much better job, I wish he had taken that approach. He's surely got enough smarts to have engaged in a real debate with that guy, who I suspect he disagrees with on almost every front.

Remurmur, trem two, rburly and 2 others like this.
  12. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

He's been on air for weeks, 60 Minutes has been on since TV was invented in the 1890s. In other words, he hasn't yet earned the guest's nor the audience's trust and likability beyond his own rabid fans, so he wants to start out slow, make sure he doesn't alienate entire genres and never be able to book such guests again, and not lose wide swaths of audience right out of the gate.

Billy Infinity and MRamble like this.
  13. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Yes, there is no reason that Colbert couldn't be doing a long term rope-a-dope on Trump. 60 Minutes is a different venue, their "guests" coming back is not part of the natural course of things.

Repeat visitors were part of Letterman's stock in trade, and there's technique to keeping people coming back for even more sly punches. In that light, Trump is a master at coming back for more (he's loud, but not so very bright). I for one didn't want Colbert to slam the Trump door shut as part of the very first appearance.

Notice that Colbert has tended to be a little bit sharper/edgier with politicians and CEOs who have little natural prospect of being repeat guests?

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Hanks was masterful in that bit. Really clever phrasing and delivery.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

If 1968 is the 1890's, I'm one helluva an old guy. :cool:

OldSoul likes this.
  16. Dr. Pepper

Funny stuff! Great bit for sure.

17. Dr. Pepper

Here is the first installment. You can see the beginnings of a nice reoccurring bit.

18. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Stephen Colbert’s audience is much younger and bigger than Letterman’s

NEW YORK — After a month as host of “The Late Show,” Stephen Colbert is almost even with rival Jimmy Fallon with a viewership that is significantly larger than his predecessor David Letterman. In its first four weeks, “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” is bringing in an average viewership of 3.9 million. That’s roughly 60 percent higher than Letterman’s audience in the same time frame last year.

Colbert’s “Late Show” has also made a huge jump with younger viewers. The new “Late Show” is rating 0.7 with adults aged 18 to 34 years old — 250% higher than Letterman.

Nevertheless, Colbert still finds himself looking up at Fallon, who is averaging 4 million viewers, a slight dip of 5 percent from last fall.

Fallon, however, is still leading all of late night by a good margin with those aged 18 to 49 years old.

ABC’s “Jimmy Kimmel Live” remains in third place, but has still brought in a healthy viewer average of 2.3 million since Colbert’s launch.

In all, the three big hosts of late night (Colbert, Fallon, and Kimmel) have a combined average live viewership of more than 10 million per night.

These numbers show that late night TV is arguably going through a new golden age, an age that is saturated with talent that finds their competition to be more friend than foe.

For example, Fallon made a cameo on Colbert’s first show, and Kimmel will appear on “The Late Show” on October 16.

This has also created a level of duality between the big three that sees each trading big name guests from the world of politics and entertainment.

And this is just network TV at 11:30 pm.

With Conan O’Brien, James Corden, Seth Meyers, John Oliver, Bill Maher, Larry Wilmore, and Trevor Noah filling out the rest of the late night posts there’s plenty to choose from for any sleepy eyed fan of late night.

http://wtvr.com/2015/10/09/stephen-colberts-audience/

chacha and MLutthans like this.
  19. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

They are tweaking the show to improve it. Stephen's little dance routine at the start of the show has been missing for a few days. The monologue is shorter, which is good because that's not his strong suit. There have been more bits of solo Stephen behind the desk (which IS his strong suit.) They need to figure out a way to distance the space between Stephen mentioning his guests in the monologue, and the repeat of the guest announcements in the produced opening. It's like...hey, he just said who was coming on a minute ago! Though Wed & Thurs. night's shows this week were among the best.

Billy Infinity, rburly, zebop and 2 others like this.
  20. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Is Stephen still doing his own intros at the top? I swear it sounded like a different voice last night? You're right--the dance has been missing. And yes, now two full acts of Stephen at the desk. I do miss the old monologue but do like that he has one official joke at the end. Like a "joke of the night" or something.

And I never noticed his right ear before until last night.

forthlin likes this.
  21. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

They've been using a "real" announcer for about a week now. No mention of who it is, and as far as I know they never acknowledged the fact that it had changed.

MRamble likes this.
  22. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Great so I wasn't going nuts. I was expecting to see a shot of the announcer after the credits but there was none. Almost a month now and it's interesting to see what they're changing and what they're keeping.

23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

this show is just getting better and better. i love the "esophogorge" bit the other night. that was vintage colbert.

Mr. H, forthlin and MRamble like this.
  24. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Everybody lies on tv I can't fathom any 18 - 30 olds I know even flipping the channel to watch him.
    It's sad they are over hyping his lackluster show I'm glued to my seat when he interviews..
    Heads of state and Ceo's my night is fulfilled oh boy. laughing.

25. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Actually, the average so far has him beating or tying with Fallon in the 18-34 demographic, so...
    You may not like it, but a lot of people do. And many people who originally didn't like it are growing to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.