'74-'84 old skool metal. Golden era UK,German, US

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by plexi0, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

2. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

3. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

That doesn't 'alf bring back some memories...

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Riot "Outlaw" from the killer Fire Down Under album, this one along with Narita :righton::righton: killer.

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Savage "Let it Loose" - 1983 - top selling metal import LP of the year and a huge buzz band amongst metalheads back then.

sathvyre likes this.
  6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Never heard of them but that's the second song posted that I like a lot! Gonna do some collecting. Thanks Deuce! :righton:

:biglaugh:

After extended forays in the wilderness and returning home with only a malnourished rabbit and measly weasel as reward I warm my bones and take heart by the tried and true hearth of the godfathers. The build up and arrival, the profundity of dawn breaking.

7. Trillmeister

It's always a contender in my mind's eye for No.1 Song, period. "The build up and arrival, the profundity of dawn breaking." Genius.

Hail to thee, Mike. :cheers:

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The albums with Guy Speranza on vocals are essential, unfortunately there's only 3 of them.

Rock City
    Narita
    Fire Down Under

Guy Speranza (born March 12, 1956 - November 8, 2003 in Orlando, Florida) was an American singer best known as New York-based metal band Riot's original frontman from 1976-1981.
    He played at the first Monsters of Rock festival in 1980 and sang on their first three albums, 1977's Rock City, 1979's Narita and 1981's Fire Down Under, before leaving the band in 1981.
    In 1982, Scott Ian called Speranza to offer him the position as the lead singer for Anthrax. Speranza declined the offer, saying he was done with the music business.[1]
    After retiring from music, Speranza worked as an exterminator in Florida until being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, from which he died on November 8, 2003.

artfromtex likes this.
  9. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I would definitely call Riot's Thundersteel essential as well.

Deuce66 likes this.
  10. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I would also definitely include the Rhett Forrester albums, even though they aren't quite as successful as the earlier albums. The real gem of that era is the "RIOT-Live" EP from 1983, the live versions of the songs from Restless Breed are FAR superior to their studio counterparts...particularly Loanshark (which will melt speakers) and Loved By You with the awesome guitar/harmonica duel section, which was a little limp sounding on the studio release, but kills it on the live version.

[​IMG]

11. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I would argue, perhaps the single greatest metal album of all time. A magical journey from another place and time. The album when played in it's entirety simply leaves me dumbfounded by it's absolute brilliance.

12. Trillmeister

When you put it like that...

Agent of Fortune likes this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

This one is 35 years old today.

Trillmeister and artfromtex like this.
  14. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Amen. Those first three R I O T albums are excellent hidden gems for any fan of Hard Rock/Heavy Metal. Guy's vocals are unique and give a real personality to the tunes.

I think any Thin Lizzy fan would like those albums. Not because they sound at all like Lizzy (because they don't) but there is an emotional edge from Guy that Phil brought to Lizzy.

Deuce66 likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

A personal fav from that era, the mighty germans :

Trillmeister likes this.
  16. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

So seminal, yet so underrated.

Curveboy and Trillmeister like this.
  17. Dreadnought

Truly, all heavy bands charting their course must pull out the sextant for Black Sabbath is Polaris, the North Star by which to navigate.

And speaking of the celestial my personal fantasy regarding that song is that a third installment of the animated "Heavy Metal" movie series, which previously had underwhelming song choices, would use "Falling Off the Edge of the World" as the opening song in a narration free visual extravaganza. Welcome to the universe!

Yeah good stuff and they do kick it up with each next album. Also apologies to plexiO and GonnaGetcha for my oversight in not citing their postings of Riot.

Probably for many Sad Wings is the beginning where JP took off on all cylinders but I have a nostalgic soft spot for the half baked debut Rocka Rolla. Even if it is somewhat plodding the band to be can be heard emerging.

Trillmeister likes this.
  18. Dreadnought

I'm stuck in a Judas Priest tornado! Going 'round and 'round, it's not a bad way to get dizzy.

(Also my choice for a sports arena anthem w subtitles, edited/bleeped out the "crushed heads").

Purple and Trillmeister like this.
  19. Swedish
    Neon Rose - Primo / Waiting For The Train / Dead Eyes

This thread is having a tough time taking off, the start date of 1974 is a tough one, by then things were getting too commercial and heavier stuff was already done, so we had to wait for the NWOBHM/NWOAHM to toughen things up again.

20. Trillmeister

Not from this comp, you understand but the album Law Of Devil's Land. 1983, if I'm not mistaken.

Utterly wonderful.

21. Dreadnought

I've seen the name Fates Warning a few times around these parts but only got to listening today.
    OH! I'm aloft, swept off my feet! And I'm generally not much for those singers who pitch above the strike zone. Exceptions include Geddy Lee as we were prepubescent at the time and really didn't notice anything amiss. Another, King Diamond just for being so perfectly integrated with the surrounding brilliance it all fit; like discovering the strangest new species and the whole scene could never be any other way without Darwin putting down his pen and walking the plank. A new discography of glowing electric glory, I'm kid with a half unwrapped present lodged between my ears. I could unwrap more if only I could stop repeatedly admiring this particular gift of a song from every angle.

artfromtex and Trillmeister like this.
  22. Trillmeister

Sometimes, well most days, frankly, the spectacularism that our mighty heroes churned out during this period, visits me with a day-saving dose of glowing, musical catharsis.

Duece, above, ref'd Thin Lizzy's oft overlooked 1980 release, Chinatown which happens to contain several moments of such deliverance but its end piece serves up five minutes of surefire rapture.

When music is this good, I'm reminded of why I need even less reason than normal to seek out 'new vistas.'

One of producer Kit Woolven's best outings, this Downey/Lynott penning bucks and writhes like Wøtan's very own, fully armed and ready bronco.

Perfection.

23. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

24. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

25. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.