Jim Hagerman's Bugle2 Phono Preamp Kickstarter Project

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mikeyt, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I got a built version awhile back - it's quiet and sounds good - if you're looking for a sub $200 phono stage, give this one serious consideration.

OcdMan likes this.
  2. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

That's good to hear, seems to echo what a lot of others have said. I did consider $300-$400 preamps but I want to keep my components proportional to each other in terms of cost. My system is still relatively entry level and a really nice preamp would just make me want to upgrade my receiver, and then on and on the upgrade treadmill would go. Same reason I don't get a nicer couch -- then suddenly the flooring needs to go. :)

sami and jupiterboy like this.
  3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Great bang for the buck with the Hagerman - it's a good sounding phono stage.

4. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Also check out the DIY Elliot Sound P06 phono amp for something very cheap for something that has no right to sound as good as it does .

5. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

The Bugle2 might still start that ball rolling. Jim Hagerman seriously charges much less for the Bugle than he should.

6. jordanb87

jordanb87 Forum Resident

Well, my Bugle2 arrived today. Wow, a very noticeable step up over my integrated pre-amp. Much more vocal presence and much better treble accuracy. Tambourines and cymbals really popped out of the mix, and bass decay is great too. Just more punch and definition in everything. It's like getting a whole new record collection! Looking forward to doing more critical listening tonight.

In the meantime, a question for Bugle2 owners: do you leave it plugged in 24/7, or unplug it after each use? Also, it there a warm-up or break-in period with pre-amps, or is that a myth?

RubenH likes this.
  7. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

I leave it on 24/7....no problems in the months I've had mine.....

Mine had a short break-in period.....but as you said it sounds terrific right out of the box....a fine piece indeed; Jim is a genius!

jordanb87 likes this.
  8. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

How have you guys avoided any kind of interference with the Bugle2? I'm going back and forth with Jim about the unit I just received. I'm hearing a clicking sound and there's a light hum that's noticeable at really high volume. I've moved this thing around like crazy and can't get the hum to go away. My next move is it put it on the same shelf in my rack with the turntable. He says the clicking could be caused by overloading. I guess I should plug in all the components, then plug in the power according to what he tells me. Any recommendations on how to reduce the interference?

I was disappointed that I experienced this after the high praise it gets here. I had an NAD PP3 that has it's own issues, but never had any kind of ground issues or hum. I also recently purchased an ART USB Phono Plus that had some light hum issues, but resolved most of it by moving a few things around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.