Want analog advice or to buy new analog products? Call Brian Hartsell @ The Analog Room!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Seeker, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't know Brian Hartsell personally and I have no affiliation. Today I called The Analog Room in San Jose, California to ask a couple of questions about Koetsu cartridges. I ended up spending an hour on the phone with Brian and discussing speakers, phono preamps, cartridges, records, etc. I could not believe my ears. This guy KNOWS what the hell he's talking about and doesn't beat around the bush or b.s. you with idiocy like blaming your system or your room when he doesn't know the answer to solving your particular problem. He doesn't spout off the typically accepted wisdom foolishness nor does he recommend the crowd favorites or pretend he knows more than he does. He's, without question, the most knowledgeable, intelligent, and cool hifi dealer I have ever had the pleasure of speaking with. Prior to contacting him, I had called three other Koetsu dealers and ended up hanging up on two of them and the other left me on hold for an extended period until I put the phone down. My experience was that I was talking to amateurs who simply don't know their product. And that's what you get when you call places like Needle Doctor, Audio Advisor, Music Direct, and for that matter, most of the other dealers I've ever talked to. In every arena that was discussed, Brian Hartsell was spot on. If you need help, call him. If you want to spend money, spend it with him. We need people like this in the industry. Desperately.

VinylRob likes this.
  2. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Nice to hear. I had a similar experience years ago with Jeff at High Water in NYC. We spent over a 1/2 hour on the phone talking about vintage step up transformers for LOMC cartridges, none of which transformers he sold, e.g. Expressive Technologies, a fairly rare and long discontinued product. He was just into it, and providing good solid knowledge, recognizing it would build goodwill. These are the kinds of dealers you want to support.

VinylRob and The Seeker like this.
  3. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

I wouldn't call Needle Doctor amateur, every time I've dealt with them, and anyone I know, they've given great advice and no BS. Good customer service as well. Have no experience with the others.

VinylRob, DanBNash and mwv121 like this.
  4. The Seeker

I've had the opposite experience with them. They will give you good deals on cartridges if you get Kenny on the phone, but their advice is completely ridiculous and totally off the wall. These are not seasoned, knowledgeable hifi salespeople. Trust me. Customer service is usually pretty good, though, yeah.

5. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

Jeff is great. I almost bought a Raven GT from him but just when I was ready my bathroom flooded and a renovation stole my wad! He was always extremely gracious with my onslaught of questions, even though I only ever bought a cartridge from him. He's the kind of dealer that you want to like his gear just so you can work with him and know you're in good hands.

6. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

The Analog Room is a lot of fun. I went there last year when I was staying in the south bay for a wedding. It doesn't actually have a sign on the door IIRC, and I drove past it a few times. Inside there's a couple rooms with full Rega setups, and a room in the back with a heavily curated record selection, literally every single in print MoFi title plus some audiophile jazz titles/etc. And then a room with some old guys playing cards and smoking cigars. I need to go back there. In general San Jose has some great record stores a lot of Bay Area Stevists likely don't know about. @Metralla probably likes it this way! :)

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Agree with Rolltide. The Analog Room is a great audio shop and his record collection is second to none.

8. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Excellent!!!

Maybe he will know where I can get a new cartridge for my 1968 Micromatic player! (Magnavox)

Cartridge #: 560315-1

THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!!!

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

What do you talk about with these guys?

10. The Seeker

He may, but I think his specialty is high end audiophile equipment, though we did discuss our mutual love for certain vintage tables. I can answer your question: online auction site. You'll probably end up having to buy another record player just like yours and rob the cartridge out of it.

11. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Ya sadly you may be right buddy :(

I TELL YA: DONT ACCIDENTLY RUIN YUOR CARTRIDGE BY PRESSING ON IT!!

12. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Thanks ArdenHiFi, always good to hear about another good analogue dealer.

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Analog Room is an excellent store, not cheap though. And if you're at all turned off by cigar smoke, be warned. Unless things have changed dramatically since the last time I was there, it can get very thick in there. Brian is(or was) as dedicated to 'em as he is audio.

14. The Seeker

It's true. And you would think that the cigar smoke wouldn't be the best thing for the cartridges or the vinyl, but it is what it is. And I figure anyone as cool and knowledgeable as Brian ought to be able to do whatever the hell he wants in his own store, so I just accept it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.