Symphonic metal, and soprano female voices*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wondering, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wondering

Wondering Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am quite into symphonic metal, and soprano female voices!
    This was quite interesting to me, and love her voice!

zphage, Mr_Vinyl and sbeck201 like this.
  2. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I'm a big fan, but not only of the bands with a soprano. I have all of Kamelot's albums as well as Nightwish and Therion - to name a few!

Wondering likes this.
  3. old school

old school Senior Member

This ^ is Operatic vocals! I would not call this Metal in any way. What we have here is Operatic vocals with lite beer dare I say Metal NO! symphonic metal is this!

IMHO!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  4. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

This is a horrible genre to my ears. I can't stand it, sorry....

old school, shaboo and dino77 like this.
  5. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I've only been listening to Symphonic Metal for a couple of years but it looms very large in my listening because it's so accessible. It's a potent, ear-catching music but I certainly understand why many people consider it (to use probably the most polite word that they would employ) as complete and utter drivel.

I don't like the "operatic" side of the female voices, probably because I actually listen to Opera and don't like to hear rock singers "putting on a silly voice": I far prefer the lighter voice of Sharon den Adel or Annette Olzon to the battleship vocals of Tarja Tarunen. There's a big folk influence on Symphonic Metal bands (probably because they're mainly Northern European and it's more engrained in their musical traditions) and the more operatic stuff can come over as unduly bombastic. That Nostra Morte vocalist is very much in the middle between two extremes, though: sounds very like Sarah Brightman (which is an equivocal compliment at best) and the song needs a little roughening up before it could pass for Metal.

I agree that female vocals are not really that important to the genre: Kamelot manage very well with male vocalists.

Mr_Vinyl and old school like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.