Sinatra: Trilogy 3-LP set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andersoncouncil, Apr 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

I remember liking The Future more too when I first heard it (in part because it was just so different) and then the appeal kind of wore off.

I'll have to try to listen to it again with fresh ears. It's been years. Your review was nice.:)

2. ArneW

ArneW Senior Member

Isn't it the voice of Loulie Jean Norman on both LPs?

3. Amicus

Amicus New Member

Two sopranos are credited in Reflections on the Future..., Diana Lee in What Time Does the Next Miracle Leave? and Loulie Jean Norman in Song Without Words.

The liner notes for All Alone do not identify the soprano, but Bob in Boston has posted elsewhere that it is not Ms. Norman, but Norma Zimmer, best known as Lawrence Welk's Champagne Lady.

Bob F likes this.
  4. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

5. CBackley likes this.
  6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Really well written article!

colormesinatra likes this.
  7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

8. Oh, that's really bad!

9. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

The Disco version of "Night & Day" was HUGE in NYC. To hear Sinatra played in the clubs was a gasser.

CBackley and MMM like this.
  10. What, even better than listening to Watertown?

11. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

In honor of the centennial I have vowed not to make another post about "You Know What" until 2016.

CBackley, MMM and SteveM like this.
  12. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

What are you saying Ron? ....."River.... stay 'way from my door" ;)

13. Tina_UK

Tina_UK Forum Resident

Whenever I hear the disco version of "Night & Day" the "Theme From Shaft" always comes to mind.

14. Joni H

Joni H Member

That's a great text!

I respect Sinatra and Jenkins for the Future part and would not say harsh about it.

15. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

A monumental album, spanning his career and showing his versatility not with previously recorded songs, but newly recorded ones. Old standards, contemporary material, and a conceptual suite that makes Watertown sound conventional by contrast. I like it. Its only flaw,IMO, is that he only did the bridge of "MacArthur Park."

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Frank had used Charles Calello around that time for arranging "Everybody Ought To Be In Love". I'm surprised he didn't have Calello do the arrangements for the disco "Night and Day" and "All or Nothing at All". That likely would have worked quite well.

17. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I remember when Trilogy came out because my dad wanted a copy as a gift, and my mom and I went to the store to buy it for him. This album for Sinatra put him back on the "popular" charts - this was somewhat of a comeback album for him. It was in the new releases racks, probably with Bee Gees Spirits Having Flown and The Wall. It was a premium set when it was released.

I think he absolutely killed (in a good way) Peter Allen's "You and Me (We Wanted It All)," and I also enjoy his rendition of Harrison's "Something" ("you stick around, jack!" LOL). And "They All Laughed" is great as well. Miss the swagger of the Chairman!

Old Rusty likes this.
  18. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I like What Time Does The Next Miracle Leave.

How will you know it's really Heaven?

Cause they'll meet me with a cheese and tomato pizza, well done, and a bottle of red wine.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I dunno.......
    41UFvJJyyYL.jpg
    I kinda like all three albums in the set. :winkgrin:

Here's the rear cover:
    41aNAPV9u7L.jpg
    (LINK)

CBackley likes this.
  20. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

This was a strange Reprise budget package, insofar as its contents (as we'll as its title). Apparently, it contained different vintages of the enclosed CDs in Germany and Canada (and US surplus) with respect to original vs. EOTC versions. We (including @shicorp and @paulmock) had a discussion about it once upon a time —> at the SFF. (See in particular post #30 of that thread.)

shicorp likes this.
  21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Wow! Diggin' up bones here!:eek:

Bob F likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.