Can Rock ever again be (truly) culturally relevant?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Uly Gynns, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Which reminds me!!
    You know, Aerosmith coulda RETURNED the favor!!!
    By the '90's, Run-DMC couldn't get ARRESTED!
    They couldv'e AT LEAST did a cover version of a Run-DMC song, while they were living high on the charts then!

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

But, the Aerosmith/Run D-M-C collaboration angered a LOT of rockers back in the mid-80s. They were too blind to see that rap and rock music have more in common with each other than rap has with R&B as far as execution, energy, and rebellion are concerned.

You are right about Blondie, though. The rap crowd hardly acknowledged "Rapture". It was the rock and pop fans who thought it was the latest and greatest thing. Even today, you've got people running around thinking that Blondie started rap music.

eddiel likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

"Rock Box" would be perfect.

vince likes this.
  4. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Over the summer, I saw Blondie (for the first time) at one of those nominally-priced summer outdoor shows. The obviously did perform that tune, but not in the exact same style as the single. So, they apparently don't even present it as some sort of important blend of rap and rock. Maybe some of that was attributed to the production of the time, but it always seemed like Blondie's influence was way overstated in this respect.

Grant and eddiel like this.
  5. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

I don't think Rock is dead but it's definitely lost its place in the mainstream.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  6. PepiJean

PepiJean Forum Resident

It's been here for the last 60+ years; why should it go now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.