Neil Young Archives Release Blue Note Cafe Out 11/13/15 Via Reprise Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FrankieFontaine, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

I really now don't know.
    Yes. My mistake. Walking After Midnight is called by Neil Midnight Blues on Special Deluxe.

dino77 likes this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Too hard for me!

3. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the only thing i have on a b00t is the jones beach concert (which is where the "crime in the city" single is taken from). obviously the new version is 100x better.

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yes! The unreleased Bluenotes live album, finally!!!!

5. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

'89 should be made up with an 11.5... i'd love a restless/lost dogs live album.

i bet PS#10 will be a rusted out garage show.

6. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Neil.....as unpredictable as ever! Between this and the recently-announced 2005 Springsteen
    archival concert....

7. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I'd LOVE to see both of those. YEAH!!

bonus, Heart of Gold and qtrules like this.
  8. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

Been waiting for this since 88. Looks great, i'll definitely get this.
    Shame the electric Crime in the city was chosen over the 17 min acoustic Sixty to Zero.
    Also it would have been nice to include After the Gold Rush, one of the few tours it was played with a horn solo.
    Also MIA from the 87/88 tours:
    Your love is good to me
    Coupe de ville
    Days that used to be
    Boxcar
    Hey, hey
    And the aforementioned Walking After Midnight
    High heels
    Find another shoulder

9. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

Ralph drums on One Thing, with George Whitsell on bass. Billy's not on This Note's for You

Heart of Gold likes this.
  10. Heart of Gold

The 1989 Milan concert...One of the best shows of my life.

11. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

vonwegen likes this.
  12. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

How do we know they're not different songs?

13. Syscrusher

I notice this is Performance series Volume 11, I had it pegged as Volume 10. I guess that means no solo shows from 88/89, love those.
    Actually he could always release volume 11a as an after thought.

14. Heart of Gold

Walking After Midnight has the "Midnight Blues" lyric. "These midnight blues won't go away"

Syscrusher likes this.
  15. And a little naïve. Anyway, this is shaping up to be a) one of the most exciting and best sounding Neil Young CD's for a very long time (and they always sound great) and b) arguably the first essential release since.......take your pick. For me that'll be Chrome Dreams II. Played it last night and the whole thing blew me away. It's a classic NY album in my view, not a weak moment on it. If it seems a bit of a hotchpotch of styles and sounds, recall how bitty ATGR and Harvest were. The theme that unifies the whole might be salvation. Lyrically speaking the album has a real spiritual bent. I've lost count of the times I've just played No Hidden Path on its own. If I was given a knife and asked to make edits to the tape to shorten that song down, I wouldn't know where to start. It's a master-class of song-writing, performance, guitar playing and the Horse groove locked on funky.

Ordinary People is another great piece and I'm looking forward to hearing it live. Like others have already said I'm a little disappointed that Sixty To Zero / Crime In The City isn't the long version but the video upstream in this thread sounds fantastic.

I'd totally given up on NY. The last two performance series I left on the shop racks. This one I will be getting on release day.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I have to be in the mood for the harvesters and I'll pick up a copy when I see it cheap. I totally forgot about Dreaming Man from the 92 solo tour.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

One global vinyl pressing plant for this title?

18. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Changing the subject ever so slightly, I'm still waiting for an official release of Separate Ways.

19. I've got the Harvesters; it was Cellar Door (too repetitive after Sugar Mountain and Massey Hall and not an entire show which devalues it for me) and Dreamin' Man I was referring to. The latter is just randomly selected live acoustic cuts from 92 of songs from Harvest Moon - a sort of HM Unplugged. It sounds ok but hardly "essential".

JoeRockhead likes this.
  20. Syscrusher

For me Dreamin' Man trumps Harvest Moon, in sound and performance.

stinsojd, footlooseman, bonus and 8 others like this.
  21. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Great news. My favorite Neil. Got the LP (WG) when released.

Thanks!

22. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

same for me. Its where I go if I want to hear those songs

bonus, s m @, vertigone and 2 others like this.
  23. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

This is great news and the first Neil release I've been interested in for a while.

I do think that he needs to widen his approach to the Archive Performance Series though - these need to be speeded up in terms of release, say 1 every 6 months, and for some tours a 2cd release could easily be a 3 or 4 disc set. This is a VERY welcome release but it's painfully slow to collect these sets. Will we ever get a full set of Performance Series discs? I remember being excited about the archives stuff in about 1995 when I thought in a few years time there would be 20 or so discs of live stuff in my collection...

Neil needs to go a bit 'Grateful Dead' in his approach to the Archives. He said 'new trumps old' in terms of older releases taking a back seat when he has new material to release, but with respect I think he's got it wrong - old and new can be released together - if the quality is there they just compliment each other - the archive performance series works really well as a retrospective live review, but they need to get a move on with these sets. Next year it will be 10 YEARS since the first one, and we're only a few sets into it.

24. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the performance of "natural beauty" on dreaming man is definitive.

footlooseman, bonus, davers and 4 others like this.
  25. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I will go further - the moment at 7:37 into the song is worth the price of the entire disc alone.

Shame it wasn't an entire show though. Maybe anothe 1992 archive live release would be welcome at some point in the future...

gfong, footlooseman, theMess and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.