Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Flowers In The Dirt*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Murdock, Sep 18, 2015.

1. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

And 'This One' is one of the great 'lost' McCartney singles. Although I may have said this several times before.

heatherly, supermd, Paul H and 4 others like this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Same situation for "Mull Of Kintyre".

For those worried about never getting the rest of the Wings albums from the 1970s in Archive editions, we will get them. It's just the wait may be longer than we want. The work has already been done for them (or most of the work for them); these sets generate a good amount of income (even if one adheres to conservative sales estimates); these albums were done with Linda, whose photos are perfect for the deluxe books; and Paul cares about his legacy, and these Archive editions enable Paul to control the presentation of his legacy for future generations.

3. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

I am personally fascinated by the idea of a deluxe Broad Street, in terms of whether it's actually going to happen, what they're putting on it, whether they'll actively promote it or just hide it away because everyone hates it etc. etc. Will they mention the film, or just ignore it and focus on the music instead? (Which is hard since it's basically a soundtrack album but you know what I mean). Basically I'm interested in seeing what they'll do with it if it ever actually exists. I presume it'll be the last, or one of the last, to be reissued as part of this campaign. I certainly wouldn't want it to to come before albums that people appreciate like Wild Life or London Town, even if I don't particularly like those.

The album I most wanted to see next was either Press to Play (which I appreciate more every time I listen) or Flowers in the Dirt, with the latter being the stronger album by far - but both are not perfect. However I have a feeling that the next album after this will be another warmly received album, like Flowers, so I imagine it will be something like Flaming Pie or even Chaos and Creation (even though it's still relatively new).

Paul H likes this.
  4. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

I have no idea. The last thing I wanna here is five more disco dance versions of No More Lonely Nights. I do love the original ballad version. It's the only good song on the album. What he has six more good songs cut in 1984 but he never released them he used his remakes of silly love songs and ballroom dancing. Maybe there's a studio version of Wings of a nitengale. I doubt it

5. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I think they will get archive releases. Pipes of Peace got one, so anything is possible.

JimC likes this.
  6. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

I really hope I am wrong, but having FITD just as a single release brings the total of Archive Editions to 10, which is where it may stop...:cry:

7. JimC

JimC Senior Member

Don't fret. There's no reason to think these archive releases will stop because only one is next. So far, it has been as common for one to appear alone as two at a time. I expected Off the Ground to show up with Flowers but that probably means the latter will be a mega set.:wiggle:

theMess and OobuJoobu like this.
  8. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I don't think it was on any Red Rose issue and Red Rose along with all of the greatest hit packages are out of print. The soundtrack isn't a Paul McCartney CD.

I was talking about the famous studio version, not live versions. Why do people argue minutiae that misses the point?

That's possible and I could entirely be making a wishful thinking argument because I want a Red Rose Archive Collection pretty bad, but he hasn't done a concert (note to nit pickers: full concert, not festival, benefit or TV appearance) that didn't include Live and Let Die since 1989. He has played it 521 times. I have to believe he sees it on the Yesterday (523)/ Hey Jude (542) / Let It Be (554) / Band on the Run (528) "indispensable part of my output" level.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  9. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

Wingspan is out of print? Already wow

10. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

My guess is that we'll see a reissue of Wingspan somewhere around its 20th anniversary with all of the songs replaced by their latest remasters — which means, possibly, that the missing 5 albums referenced by that set may be (at that point) either archived or scheduled for archival treatment.

theMess and Frank like this.
  11. Brian from Canada

Nobody wants to see a Broadstreet set loaded with remixes of the same track — and you don't have to have it. You can have the vinyl edit of "Wanderlust," the longer film version of "No Values/No More Lonely Nights (ballad reprise)," the unreleased "Yesterday (busker version)" seen in the film, both sides of the "We All Stand Together" single (or the demo and finished version), the unreleased "Lindiana," the first run of "We Got Married," and the demo for "Wings Of A Nightingale," along with two remixes (extended playout, mole mix) and you'd have a decent backup. The DVD would include footage behind the scenes, both "No More Lonely Nights" videos, the video for "We All Stand Together," and TV ads for the film.

As for how it will be released, I can see Paul doubling this up with Press To Play, another album he's not particularly fond of from the 80s that gets recognized as wanted by fans.

JimC, theMess and PhilipB like this.
  12. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Well if they do, I sincerely hope they put Mary Had A Little Lamb on it. It's daft that this one gets airbrushed out of Wings history just because it's perhaps thought of as a 'children's song'? It was their first top 10 single in the UK (number 9), the first Wings record I bought and is as relevant to their story as Yellow Submarine is to The Beatles story. (They could always make room for it by dropping 'No More Lonely Nights playout version', which isn't Wings at all!)

theMess and Deano6 like this.
  13. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Replace the mole mix with the special dance edit and I'm in.

14. Goodwin

Goodwin New Member

So I've been collecting the Paul McCartney Archive Collection CDs in the recent months. Here's what I've found in the stores so far.

Band on the Run (2010)
    McCartney (2011)
    McCartney II (2011)
    Ram (2012)
    Wings Over America (2013)
    Venus and Mars (2014)
    Wings at the Speed of Sound (2014)
    Tug of War (2015)
    Pipes of Peace (2015)

Did I miss out on any others?

Thank you!

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That's all so far. The rest are "COMING SOON".

supermd, Carlox, theMess and 2 others like this.
  16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

No!! Paul, please DON'T include a good fidelity version of "On the Wings Of a Nightingale" on an archive Broadsteet. I love that song but don't want to pop for Broadstreet for one track. I can live without
    ever hearing the busked "Yesterday" again, but don't throw in "Nightingale." WAHHHH!! :D

gottafeelin likes this.
  17. Brian from Canada

FYI: Costello's demo of "Veronica" was just released on one of his albums, so that may be an incentive to Paul to release his demos from the period too. :sigh:

theMess likes this.
  18. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I'm in the minority and really, really like the Broad Street soundtrack CD. I'm hoping they do give it the deluxe treatment. I'm looking forward to that more than Flowers in the Dirt.

19. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

I really enjoy the Yesterday/Here, There and Everywhere/Wanderlust medley, I do actually prefer the version of Wanderlust on that album to the original, and I love the little reprise of No More Lonely Nights just before For No One (which is incorrectly credited as being on the previous track under 'No Values/No More Lonely Nights (Ballad Reprise)').

I think it gets a lot of slack because people like to consider it a proper studio album and compare it as such, and also because it's associated with the film that was poorly received. If you just approach it as a soundtrack album, I think it's an enjoyable experience listening start to finish (although it helps if you watch the film first to give context to the various soundbites). That said, I understand why people see it as their least favourite album, and I don't mind waiting for the rest of the proper studio albums to be released first. I can wait another day…

20. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

And it's coming out again as part of the soundtrack to his memoirs.

theMess and JimC like this.
  21. Fan On The Run

Fan On The Run Forum Resident

As commented on previously, most are very disappointed that we only have one "coming soon" release announced. This may be for one of several reasons:
    1. This is the end of the Archive Collection series -- Unlikely;
    2. Flowers In The Dirt will truly be coming soon in December for a Christmas release -- Unlikely;
    3. We will only see one archive collection release in 2016: Flowers In The Dirt -- Possibly; or
    4. Paul and his team are committed to 2 releases a year. However, he is planing on 2 separate individual album releases in 2016 -- My guess is that Paul is taking this approach because he wants a substantial Fall/Christmas release for "Flaming Pie". I suspect that, not unlike Ram, Flaming Pie holds a special place with Paul. First, it was a huge critical success (Grammy Nominated for Album of The Year); second, it saw solid commercial success (#2 on Billboard Charts and Gold certified); and more importantly, of course, it was the last album that he recorded with Linda still alive. I do not believe that he wants to marry or couple this album with any other. If this is the case, he would have to select one of his albums that can stand on its own for a Spring 2016 release. Flowers In The Dirt fits the bill.

22. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I'm thinking Flowers by itself may signify extra bonus tracks and may be higher priced. Thus a single release.

23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Sorry to inform you all that I'm having to recommend to Paul McCartney that he ceases the Archive Collection immediately, as I've no space left on my shelf.

Either that or The Beatles are going to have to find a new home.

[​IMG]

mrjinks, Shak Cohen, theMess and 4 others like this.
  24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I love Broad Street. It's a novelty that should probably be assessed more along the lines of a live album or something, but it's a great album. And it'd be nice to have it in better sound. Pipes Of Peace was certainly improved sound wise. Fun fact: Broad Street is the only CD I ever bought that I needed to bring in for an exchange. One of the tracks would skip when I ripped with iTunes. Oddly, the skip didn't occur with the CD player. But it must have been a bad copy, because the second one I got ripped perfectly.

I rank the 3 original songs as 3 of Paul's best from the "George Martin years." And the medley is wonderful. I agree that this version of Wanderlust is the better one, and I'd also say that he improved upon So Bad. Surprisingly, not the last time he revisited the track

Carlox, Shak Cohen, theMess and 3 others like this.
  25. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I see your problem. You got that big Beatles box wedged in there. Man, does every shelf have to be a Beatles shelf??