SACD Super Jewel Box wide hinges

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by AlecA, Oct 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident Thread Starter

Not sure if this belongs here.

I recently ordered from Music Direct their Super Jewel Box SACD Case (Original) (5-PACK). The ones I received were the older thin hinges. Any sources for the wider hinges?

Thanks,

Alec

2. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

3. AlecA

I'm hoping to find some in the US

4. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

That's odd. The thin hinge cases were almost nonexistent at one time & the normal size were easy to find. Did you ask Music Direct about this issue? Bet they or the warehouse puller person just sends what is in the bin. I had to go to extraordinary lengths to come up with the narrow/thin ones at one time.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

@AlecA , I would hold onto those thin-hinge ones, for the reason @TeacFan notes. If you have any older thin-hinge SACDs - or if you buy any older, out of print SACDs with thin hinges in the future - you'll have a devil of a time sourcing replacement cases of one breaks. Alternatively, if you don't have any such SACDs, you can probably sell your thin-hinge cases for more than you paid for them - or you can just keep them around and do a huge solid for the occasional forum member here who might need one.

Just a thought.

EDIT: Just checked Music Direct's web site. On this page - http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7528-super-jewel-box-sacd-case-5-pack.aspx - they clearly specify that "original" cases have the thin hinges while "new style" cases have the wider hinges. So since you ordered the original style, that's why you got the thin hinges.

The weird part is that if the thin-hinge ones are once again available in quantity, that would be news to most folks here (and in that vein I note that MD's current shipping time is 4-6 weeks, so who knows...)

6. AlecA

The confusing part is the picture on the Music Direct page is clearly the "new style" wide hinge, and, although they differentiate a difference between the "old" and "new" style cases, there is no option to buy the wider hinges. In looking on the internet, it seems that the "old" style predominates, with several places to buy them, but I haven't found any available in the US. I got my order form Music Direct in just a few days. Must have gotten lucky.

7. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yeah, I noticed that too - both the fact that the photo is of the new-style even though the item title says they're the original style, and that there appears to be no option to switch the style you order.

It's very strange. I would recommend just calling Music Direct and figuring out a solution. But I would reiterate that for just $7.99. you might want to keep those and place a 2nd order with them for the new style ones (assuming that you can do that via phone even though it doesn't currently seem possible on the web site).

8. AlecA

yeah, I'm certainly going to keep the ones I have. I checked a bunch of the cases for sale on eBay and Amazon, and they are all the thin hinges. Interesting turnaround from when you could only find the wide.

I called Music Direct and they only have the thin hinges, despite what the picture shows.

tmtomh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.