The Black Crowes have apparently broken up

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HotelYorba101, Jan 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPJs Bass Guitar

JPJs Bass Guitar Forum Resident

To go off track for a bit ....

One thing that's not really apparent from the Crowes albums is their ability to take a theme and use it as a jam vehicle. For me that's an important element of the band and is something that set them apart from their peers back in 1992.

I remember buying a bootleg from Birmingham UK from the High As The Moon tour. Apart from the quite astonishing sound quality, this was a revelation for me. The setlist , aside from the usual suspects from the first 2 albums, included some amazing jams - Thorn's Progress and On That Hollow Day. Quite a departure from the SYMM material.

Of course the jamming had only just begun and became my favourite part of any Crowes show from 93 - 97. It's also quite amazing how many songs begun as a theme or riff in these jams, sometimes only emerging years later.

There are tons to choose from but some favourites include

Black Moon Jam (I'm thinking of Paris 1997 as being one of the greatest examples of this one)
    Thorn's Progress -> Buttermilk Waltz -> Pastoral Jam (Italy 1995 - no explanation needed!)
    Peace Anyway Jam (Little Rock 1996)
    Spider In The Sugarbowl Blues -> Buttermilk Waltz (Germany 1997)
    Middle Eastern Jam (anywhere in Europe 1997)
    Hollow Day Jam (Glasgow 1997 - coincidentally the only place where the vocal version and instrumental versions were played)

The band then really disowned the notion of jamming - in fact I remember an interview with CR from 2001 in Classic Rock when he mentioned listening to a '25 minute My Morning Song' and saying it was excessive and not something he's be interested in doing again. Thankfully Chris doesn't really mean what he says in interviews and moving into 2005/2006, again we were treated to some amazing material - again too many to choose but here are some favourites

Thorn's Progress -> It's All For You Jam (Knoxville 2005 - if you've never heard the Instant Live get it now!)
    Late Nights Again Jam (in the middle of MMS Hampton Beach 2005 - oh, if only they had recorded a full band version of this ....)
    Unnamed Jam (between Tied Up and YMOM, Fillmore '05 - my favourite jam from the reunion - incredible, like a race between Rich and Marc!)
    Thorn's Progress (London 1st Night 2006 - just great!)
    Many of the between track jams in summer 2006 were amazing, but it's hard to single one out, so I won't!

So, any thoughts? Anyone care to share some favourites?

ceddy10165 and painted8 like this.
  2. Gammondorf

Gammondorf Forum Resident

In the Marc II era I really enjoyed the rearranged "Soul Singing" with the the psychedelic jam in the middle, well represented on FNR. That made up for the gospel version of "My Morning Song", which was fun at first, but ultimately a lesser version of the song.

The Crowes were always a song band that jammed out tunes, rather than a jam band. It's an important distinction.

3. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Was looking for the "Amorica" release party bootleg, but didn't see it. I know I have a copy somewhere. I will find it and upload it to the site.

4. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

I was at this show and it was terrific. The only thing that kept it from being perfection was that this was before Steve Gorman was convinced to return to the band. The other drummer was ok, but if Gorman isn't there, it's not the Black Crowes. He is every bit as important as the brothers and Marc Ford to the classic era of that band.

Black Widow, painted8 and Carserguev like this.
  5. JPJs Bass Guitar

Agreed 100%.

However this one is listed because I'm sure some of those early 2005 shows are ignored for that very reason - no Gorman, no Crowes.

But if ever there was a jam to convince fans that some of that era is worth the time, then it's this one (imo of course!).

6. JPJs Bass Guitar

Of course, how could I forget the Soul Singing revival - those jams were epic.

And of course the Crowes aren't a jam band. What a crazy notion! :D

7. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Greasy Grass River with the gospel intro and Marc's Strat...

LA...Fearless...

I really really dug Sister Luck's rearrangement in 2013. Jealous Again got a much-needed facelift too.

Back to 05/06, I really liked that Ballad would go ANYWHERE.

Ballad>Thorn

St Louis 06
    Best Ballad>Wiser EVER
    also
    Nebakanezer>Tomorrow Never Knows Jam>Thorn

There were some good damn jams.

By summer 06 they were just FILTHY

The Money Waster jam from Red Rocks was epic

JPJs Bass Guitar likes this.
  8. JPJs Bass Guitar

I haven't really listened much to 2013 (I saw the tour rehearsal when it came to Glasgow - it was like a Crowes tribute band) so I wasn't even aware Sister Luck had a rearrangement! Will need to check that out ....

Loved that Tomorrow Never Knows one timer - those Outro/Intro jams during that summer tour were like the soundtrack to an epic space adventure.

The electric set from Columbus, OH was one big jam.

A special mention too for Descending in London in 2006. Beautiful outro from Ed. My favourite Crowes song of all ....

9. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

Until you posted it yesterday, I had never heard Baby and Unlikely To Believe.
    To me Baby sounds like it would need some dressing up to be on By Your Side.
    And Unlikely To Believe, if it was recorded on 11/21/96, does that mean it was meant for the album before it that never happened (Band)?

https://soundcloud.com/bring-on/baby

https://soundcloud.com/bring-on/unlikely-to-believe

10. telepicker97

Baby wound up on Rich's 1st solo album 'Paper'

11. Spiritual Architect

I stay away from the solos. I do not care about their cover versions either. I just want all the rare band tracks released.

12. telepicker97

Just letting you know

13. Graham

Graham Senior Member

It Takes One To Know One was recorded during the Warpaint sessions? I thought it was only ever played live in summer 2006.

If so, did it get released?

14. telepicker97

It was recorded but never officially released.

15. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

Definitely. Again, I thought it was a great show, I just hated that whole situation of everything being so close to perfect at the beginning of that tour with the exception of no Gorman.

16. Spiritual Architect

Can anyone tell me if all of the following are ORIGINAL Crowes songs?

Spider in the Sugar Bowl Blues
    Ready For Rain
    Everybody Has Scars
    Nothing Love Everything
    Natural Born Turn It On
    Share My Blanket
    You're Wrong
    Miserable
    On That Hollow Day

17. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Yes, they are.

Spiritual Architect likes this.
  18. Gammondorf

Gammondorf Forum Resident

Enjoy!

https://m.soundcloud.com/bring-on/tracks

Alfie Noakes and cublowell like this.
  19. Spiritual Architect

20. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

Bad luck, blue eyes, goodbye, I guess!!

21. telepicker97

Crowesbase is your friend ;)

http://crowesbase.com/

highway chile likes this.
  22. Spiritual Architect

I forgot about that site. Thanks :tiphat:

23. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Erik B. likes this.
  24. Spiritual Architect

"Advice about all your common vices
    lipstick and devices
    a bathroom stall
    A bit of delirium
    your life with the pendulum
    A silver bracelet
    snake and three charms"

Interesting that album title comes from the 1992 Hollow Day lyrics.
    And to think my dirty mind thought it was a sexual metaphor for a gang bang.
    [three dudes and one chick]

[​IMG]

25. Spiritual Architect

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.