Legacy Recordings Acquires Catalog of Music Legend Van Morrison

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lars1966, Aug 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

One wonders how long it will take for Legacy to end up pissing him off about something ...;)

Still...great news ! :)

2. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

So, to repeat the question, are all of the 33 titles in the Legacy deal now getting physical releases? I presume that would mean cd

3. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I'm the opposite. Never could get into Champions with all the sax noodling. Back on Top is really good, if not great.

4. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

oh is there sax... will give that a miss

5. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Would love to have and hear Philosopher's Stone on vinyl but, all I'm hearing is digital this, and digital that... Hmmm.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  6. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

When do the expanded astral weeks and too late to stop now release...?

7. 905

905 Senior Member

The thing is Tupelo Honey is one of the best albums of all time!

tkl7 and Craig like this.
  8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

9. ksuwdboots

ksuwdboots Active Member

Expanded Astral Weeks and His Band & Street Choir are out 10/30. No other expanded album release dates have been announced to my knowledge.

10. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Thanks. I guess it is a good thing they are spacing these out... I am really hoping for good things from too late to stop now, but it has been almost too quiet on that front...

Sea Kayaker likes this.
  11. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I would rank it in the 6-10 range of Van's best.

12. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

Sounds about right. Below his absolute best (Moondance, Astral Weeks, St. Dominic's, ...), but not by much.

13. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

The story I read a long time ago was that Van wanted to make an instrumental album. However he found that words came very naturally to most of the songs that he ended up writing. Yes, there is a fair bit of sax on Champions but it's not like you're listening to John Coltrane! Interestingly enough I find it very easy to imagine Van wordlessly singing the parts that he plays on the sax.

As for Back On Top, Van had just signed for a new record company (at least in Europe) & this seemed to invigorate him.

14. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

So, for teh 3rd time, can anybody confirm that this further instalment of the reissue campaign is happening. When it was announced it was all digital, apart from 4 Legacy Deluxe editions.
    It looks from the Record Collector news piece taht these are now going to be cds of all 33 titles coming out . But so far taht is the only source I've seen that said. Would think that soomething would come up from googling it and the only things I'm getting are the digital versions announced over the summer, the Essential compilation and the couple fo lps coming from the other label Astral Weeks and whichver teh other one is, Tupelo Honey?

So can anybody confirm this is happening?
    Not sure how else I need to phrase this. Thought the question was pretty straightforward, knowuig that the bulk of the summer announcement was about digital versions.

15. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I don't think there has been any confirmation on physical media except for:

Astral Weeks and His Band and Street Choir deluxe from Warner Bros.

Saint Dominic's Preview, It's Too Late To Stop Now, Hard Nose The Highway, and Enlightenment Legacy Editions from Sony.

Compilations from Sony.

Maybe the Record Collector article is correct, maybe not. :shrug:

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

To use a phrase from my mom, who taught kindergarten for 25 years, "we will get what we get and we won't get upset"!

:D

Guy E and Craig like this.
  17. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

The Astral Weeks and Band and Street Choir reissues were announced first, a week or 2 ago. The RC article gave a much longer list of releases. I hope it's correct, anyway.

Craig likes this.
  18. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

You can ask all you want, but if nobody knows nobody knows :)

dee, JeffMo and TokenGesture like this.
  19. stephencorkery

stephencorkery Forum Resident

I see Van is now, bizarrely, trying to say he never lived in Dalkey (near Dublin). Just like he flat-out denied his 'love-child'. What an oddball.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irel...i-have-never-lived-in-kilross-house-1.2387656

My sister-in-law's kids went to the same pre-school as Van's in Dalkey and apparently he's the most ignorant, rude man any of the parents have ever met.

Also he seemingly drives like a lunatic and has had several near-misses with women pushing buggies.

Imagine being a young kid and having that crotchety ******* as your Dad.:mad:

culabula likes this.
  20. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

The legend grows :laugh:

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. stephencorkery

stephencorkery Forum Resident

Incredible musician. Absolute weapon.:D

22. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I heard he never brings his bins back in after they have been emptied, and owned a couple of cats that were always in next doors garden. What a guy...

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Crazy. I used to see him frequently both in Dalkey and Ballsbridge. Who's he kidding ?

stephencorkery likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Nobody knows when you are down and out either!

25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.