Buy DVDs and Blu-rays or digital downloads?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by php111, Jun 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

Physical media for me all the way.... and that goes for music as well - cd's, no digital d/l for me, unless it's some obscure track from a compilation that I want good sound quality from and it's not available anywhere else... or just something I want one single song from. I like having things on a shelf - my collection displayed - many items that I've created DVD art for myself. I even like the act of pulling someting off the shelf to listen or watch it.... and you've got some art/a little case to have there while it's being displayed....

heatherly likes this.
  2. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Physical media for anything I want to own. I've been streaming a lot of TV shows lately from Netflix and Amazon prime, and that's ok for things I plan to see once, but the video quality is inconsistent; the frequent switching between HD and SD quality is disappointing. I also have about 15 movies on Vudu. The convenience of accessing those movies from anywhere is great, but I prefer the actual BR discs.

3. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

DVD's, don't do digital downloads and still haven't bought a good Bly Ray player.

4. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

Funny thing about this - I recently made a purchase at Best Buy and for once, I did the *survey*. Really wonder if they get back to me after what I told them. Nothing nasty, just the God's honest truth!

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

if it was a positive that's good...

6. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Exactly. The studios aren't "just reacting to what the public wants", they've done everything they can to steer demand toward a streaming model. In addition to being more profitable, it allows them to retain far greater control of users' consumption of media, control to a degree that isn't possible when the business model revolves around the sales and distribution of thousands of physical copies of media. A company's rights to a film may lapse, but all the physical copies that were released while their license was still in effect remain in circulation even after the disc is out of print. Contrast that with how easy it is in a streaming-only world for that company to just remove the file from the server, rendering it instantly unavailable.

7. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

I don't see any reason to buy movies at the moment (unless it's something very special). Netflix and a subscription movie package keep me covered for the most part.

8. php111

php111 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The issue is yes because I like everything with the original aspect ratio the way everything is meant to be.

scobb likes this.
  9. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

There are a lot of folks who can't stream movies and tv shows, their internet connection won't support it.

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

what keeps me coming back to and staying with DVD is the fact that they are now worthless to sell and cheap to buy...actually cheaper than a rental or a stream...

11. Michael

so the used DVD market is good for them...Indeed!

Larry Mc likes this.
  12. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I box up the ones that I've had enough of and send them to my relatives. :)

Michael likes this.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Everything I buy is physical, including PC video games.

14. RockWizard

One thing I've always wondered - if things actually go "download"(which I doubt will never happen in my lifetime), how much space would it take? The "normal" minimum 50G(for Blu)? Or would SERIOUS compression happen to shrink the file size?

15. RockWizard

More often than not, sure cheaper to buy than see a movie in the theater after 6PM. Prices outrageous. Throw in 3D, even worse! There are movies I would love to see in a theater(due to not having a home theater set up), but again....THE PRICES

Michael likes this.
  16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Netflix is already streaming 4k content and advises something like a 15 Mbps or better connection (it's about half that for normal HD). With the advent of HVEC/H.265 codecs, this brings down the bandwidth required as the encoding algorithm is a lot more efficient.

Streaming compression is higher than with bluray disks, but at the end of the day it boils down to whether you can tell the difference or not. Obviously, if you have a poor internet connection, your quality will suffer, but most people won't notice much of a difference.

17. Michael

yes, unfortunately it's all about money...I'm thankful I have been able to own many movies since the bottom feel out on the used market that I probably would have never seen.

Larry Mc likes this.
  18. Michael

how very nice of you! that's cool...

19. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

"Physical", he said as he turned his head and coughed.

20. Michael

21. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member

Stores that sell only music and movies and shows are still alive and doing well it would seem. In Toronto at least. So I don't believe the extinct argument is true just yet.

I agree with you, even once those physical locations close, there would still be a large market willing to purchase physical media from an online satellite location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.