Janet Jackson could be releasing a new album ("Unbreakable") this summer!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyQuest, May 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

You'll love it. I promise.:)

DesertHermit and Marble Index like this.
  2. 80sjunkie

80sjunkie Forum Resident

I've had a Janet Jackson fan club card in my wallet for the past 20 years. Safe to say I'm a big fan. But I was not expecting too much from this album given that the previous couple of albums didn't quite connect with me. But, man, Unbreakable is freaking fantastic. There's classic Janet plus a lower register in her voice that I have not really heard before. Still taking it in, but I love it so far.

Marble Index and JohnnyQuest like this.
  3. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident Thread Starter

@BlueGangsta Good call. She might be inducted in the RRHOF before Whitney and Mariah after all. :thumbsup:

BlueGangsta likes this.
  4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Janet doesn't seem to have done much promo for this album, interviews etc. Or have I just not seen it?

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  5. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

Nothing. Well, aside from the world tour and genius social media campaign over the last couple of years.

6. JohnnyQuest

I hope it's Britney that inducts Janet into the RRHOF. She's Janet's biggest admirer and imitator. :)

Marble Index likes this.
  7. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Idolator had a cool interview with Jimmy and Terry a few days ago:
    http://www.idolator.com/7610383/jimmy-jam-terry-lewis-janet-jackson-unbreakable-idolator-interview

I like this (by Jimmy Jam, replying to a question about the pressure to compete with today's stars):

As far as competing, there was no sense of that because we’re fans of all the ladies out there doing their thing. I think it’s more about making an album that’s true to us and sounds like Janet — whether it’s a piano ballad or a house record. When you think about Janet’s history in music and her catalogue, you have uptempo fun sounds like “Escapade” and “Miss You Much,” the really funky “What Have You Done For Me Lately” and “Nasty” songs, and the rock-inspired “Black Cat” — and it’s all her! So it’s not about trying to be trendy, it’s taking all those kinds of music that she loves and making it sound like her. If it sounds like Janet, that means we’ve done our job. If we aimed the record at anyone, it would definitely be her fans. That was the whole spirit of the record.

Marble Index likes this.
  8. JohnnyQuest

Sounds like Janet? She doesn't have a trademark sound. Stylistically, she's a bit of a chameleon.

Thom likes this.
  9. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Well, 'sounds like Janet' = 'sounds like Jimmy and Terry'. :) But he can't say that. But no, I do think she has her own sound. As versatile as she has been, I do think all of her albums (except Discipline) somehow sound like Janet Jackson albums, even if you didn't know it was her.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

A couple of songs are really good, but, mellow seems to be Janet's sound now. I'll pass.

I miss the brash sound she had in the 80s.

11. JohnnyQuest

If she did upbeat songs they would be more electro based. Is that what you want?

12. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Of course I know about the tour, most social media I ignore. What was genius about the campaign?
    I was thinking that maybe as this is her first album since her brother died, she doesn't want to distract from the album by giving interviews were the same old questions are asked yet again.
    Janet has always been my favourite Jackson and I have enjoyed her interviews in the past, it is great that she is still having no 1 album's at this stage in her career.

13. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I would expect her to do at least one major interview either in print (Rolling Stone? Vanity Fair?) or on TV. I suppose she wanted to see how the album and tour did before she committed to doing press. And I'm sure the likelihood of having to talk about her brother's death is a difficult proposition.

14. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Yes, there has been virtually no promo for this album at all...in the Billboard article it said she had not done a single press interview prior to releasing it as she was focussed on commencing the tour which started at the end of August.

I am really enjoying this album too. It's a little too long but those ridiculous interludes have been dispensed with and I really like the second half more than the first half where the singles have been lifted from. It's one of those albums that gets more interesting as it progresses.

Thom and JohnnyQuest like this.
  15. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

In fact, not Vanity Fair. I just remembered their reporting on the Jackson family's behaviour following Michael's death. So if she does a print interview, I think Rolling Stone is the main candidate (or does she have history with them too? I can't remember). :sigh:

16. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Of course, Janet could still resent the media for their role in the whole Superbowl saga. I'm sure there are certain publications or TV programmes or radio networks she doesn't want to sit down with, and I think she's totally entitled to have that attitude, if she does.

BlueGangsta and DesertHermit like this.
  17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The music is overall too mellow for my taste.

18. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I agree absolutely- she owes nothing to any of them. I kind of like that she just started the tour and released the album and got on with things!

bob60 and Thom like this.
  19. JohnnyQuest

They blacklisted her and did everything they could to destroy her career and swipe all of her accomplishments and accolades under the rug. **** them! :realmad:

pghmusiclover and bob60 like this.
  20. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Got this coming for the wife.

Darryl

21. Marble Index

Marble Index Forum Resident

Does anybody know when the vinyl will be released?

22. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

As I posted previously: I ordered the vinyl from Janet's website -- though the website indicated it was released on October 2nd, the confirmation e-mail states "Your products will ship on or about 12/8/2015."

Marble Index likes this.
  23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

She has done really well to come back from that if they tried to destroy her career. When artists have been around for so long I think that having a few years break is a good move anyway, we look forward to seeing them again.
    It has certainly worked for Janet anyway.
    I kind of hope that she doesn't do interviews. I know when she promoted her last album she said that she had made a decision and is no longer willing to talk about her brother. She was obviously completely fed up with the same old questions.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  24. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

This is my feeling as well. Besides, whatever she has to say has been said on the new album.

Besides, for her 2010 interviews her management said that she would no longer answer questions about Michael, Superbowl, dating, MJ's kids, yada yada.

25. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just picked this up for the wife.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.