Fargo FX Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Wow, this show sure does know how to make an entrance! Such a great setup that makes you want to watch the next three or four episodes immediately (unlike a certain other anthological series, cough-TD-cough).

It's amazing how the same narrative style as used in season 1 is so perfectly reproduced here, right from the first episode. In the future, it might be worth rewatching this series beginning with season 2, followed by season 1, as it may illuminate the events from season 1 in a different light...

Also, WTF were those lights in the sky? A freaking UFO??

2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

The show is like watching a movie one hour at a time. Very well written and acted. I'm in for the (too short) season. I love this show,

They took a left turn with me there. I saw that and thought "WTH?" Who knows what that was for...

3. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I didn't see it last night (fell asleep). But... I do know that the show runners have said that one of the movies this season will use elements of is The Man Who Wasn't There which used an UFO. I think the UFO basically is just tied into all the conspiracy and paranoia in the episode not sure if it means anything in the bigger picture. Oh and I did see part of the episode in my dreamlike state with Offerman talking about consipracies and so forth so I'm basing it on that. ha.

4. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I've got a lot of comments on the first ep of this season, but I can't avoid spoilers -- What's the time limit on that? Can we blab at will 48 hours after a new ep? 72 hours?

I know we have that "spoiler" command to hide text, but that'll get cumbersome. I fine to wait, but I must know the rules people! Give me the spoiler rules! ;)

5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I generally wait until the show has been seen by West Coasters. I don't hink we should have to put spoiler tags around something that has been seen by most the night before.

If I didn't or haven't seen a show and don't want to read about it here, I wait until I've seen the episode until I open the thread about the show. Others may disagree, but I think it's fine to discuss after the episode has aired.

Deesky, Rufus McDufus and BEAThoven like this.
  6. Tim Peterson

Tim Peterson Forum Resident

[QUOTE="Deesky

It's amazing how the same narrative style as used in season 1 is so perfectly reproduced here, right from the first episode. In the future, it might be worth rewatching this series beginning with season 2, followed by season 1, as it may illuminate the events from season 1 in a different light...

Also, WTF were those lights in the sky? A freaking UFO??[/QUOTE]

I thought they were what he was seeing, or thought he was seeing. He had just been stabed and my not be seeing reality. Or are they dragging in the Val Johnson Incedent. That happened in 1979.

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Cool that it is finally back. I will just record all the shows then binge watch after the season is over. So over and out for me from this thread until that happens!

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The UFO was definitely a nod to "The Man Who Wasn't There". Great set up with this episode. I also noticed the song over the closing credits was a new version of one that was used in "O Brother Where Art Thou?".

As for discussing the episode, I think as rburly said, allowing a few hours for it to have aired on the west coast is considerate, but once it has aired, its fair game. Certainly the day after there is no need to worry about spoilers. I think it is incumbent on viewers to protect themselves if they are not up to date on a show.

9. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I agree with rburly. I think you have to be a stupid idiot to open this thread if you have yet to see the episode already aired but don't want to know any details.

I even got lectured one time for not putting a spoiler on discussion of the preview that was aired for an upcoming episode. The preview is part of the current episode!

10. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

As for Episode 1, I thought it was okay and I will keep watching. But, I'm far from convinced this is going to be better than last season.

Also, where has Kristen Dunst been? She almost looks like a different person now.

11. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Bravo! Way to go! All the original elements remain intact. The violent undercurrents, the humor, the characters, the acting, the writing, the accents! Too soon to tell if there'll be a central bad guy as charasmatic and riveting as Thornton's character was last season, but I'm not worried. Of the 1/2 dz. or so premieres I've seen so far this season, this was the best!

rburly likes this.
  12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I re-watched it and I think the "UFO" is simply the lights from the oncoming car reflecting in the night sky, bouncing off of the street sign. The guy was in a state of shock and his mind was seeing things.

Lonson likes this.
  13. notesofachord

Its seems like this season is going to be based around two crime syndicates fighting for territory. This is not as compelling to me as the basic setup of the first season.

Oh well, it still seems to be very well written, directed, and acted though.

tonyc likes this.
  14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I missed the first season and it doesn't seem available ( without buying discs).
    Would the second season make sense to me to start with?

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

A great start!

rburly likes this.
  16. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

No reason why you have to watch Season 1 first.

17. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

This show is a triple threat.... beautifully filmed, very, very well written and sublime acting. Looking forward to the rest of this season. :righton:

rburly, bopdd and Lonson like this.
  18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The filming, the cinematography and set design. . . all these really boost this series.

ex_mixer likes this.
  19. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I think she got her teeth straightened. A much nicer smile now.

tonyc likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Or it was swamp gas! :D
    What makes you far from convinced? They couldn't have kicked things off better IMO, and from the advanced reviews I've read from critics of the first four eps, it was nothing but praise-turtles all the way down... On the basis of the first ep, I'm very optimistic.

Rufus McDufus and bopdd like this.
  21. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Gee Deesky. Sorry I think watching Billy Bob Thornton, Martin Freeman and Colin Hanks carry a show is more interesting than what has been presented so far.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I see, so you're marking it down because it hasn't got high enough profile actors in it? Okay, fair enough I guess, but for me, I was too absorbed by the story and the way it unfolded that I didn't care who was in it.

Personally, I find that 'name' actors matter more when the story isn't as strong as it could be - they help to carry it. But when the story is strong, then name actors matter much less.

23. Even for Fargo the intro to this season was a tad wackadoodle - that is to say, "campy." That was only the first 10 minutes of Season 2, Episode 1.

Otherwise, it was back to being brilliant, just as I expected. There's simply something about the measured pace of the film, and now the TV show that sits comfortable with me.

This first episode of season 2 featured a can of bug spray, a very curiously placed tennis ball, an IBM Selectric typewriter, a nice game of bingo, and it all takes place in 1979.

Watch it!

24. notesofachord

I just hope the Coen-esque dark humor comes on a bit stronger. Other than the bug spray, the main comedy came in the opening Reagan movie-set scene.

25. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't remember a tennis ball. Where was that?

Ha! That was a great open. I gotta good laugh when the background "corpses" started moving, asking for blankets, etc.

Rufus McDufus likes this.