David Bowie Nervous Over Live Comeback

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

2016 approching.
    Anything confirmed regarding playing live ? New album of new songs?
    Expanded hits DVD /Blu Ray ?

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

alexpop likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

4. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

5. Parlophony

Parlophony Forum Resident

I saw that show at the Saenger---it was great. I'd be surprised if he plays here again, though

6. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

At this point I'd reckon an O2 show and bollocks to an international tour.

What show was it where a "fan" threw something at him and caught his
    eye? That alone would give me pause.

What's next, someone shooting the star off the stage? If it hasn't happened,
    I guarantee it will. It's just a matter of time.

7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You never know, I thought the same in 1980. By 1990 I had well changed my mind. Of course I was much younger then.
    My own theory is that Bowie spent the 90's trying to make up for his 80's.
    I kind of hope he doesn't tour again. He is happy, wealthy and his last albums were great, good enough to forget the crappy ones before them. Also the lest time he toured with Reality he still looked sprite and youngish, I wouldn't like to see him much older and maybe struggling to sing live. He should just enjoy the well deserved fruits of his success.

Purple Jim likes this.
  8. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

9. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I think the sad problem confronting David Bowie behind the scenes here, is that in this modern day and age, once you have a heart attack while actually onstage, you pretty much become uninsurable from that moment forward. Especially at that high level. No reputable doctor is going to sign off that it's 100% safe for him to do it, and no insurance company is going to underwrite the promoter of a big tour, with that serious possibility looming out there in his background.

I heard a somewhat similar story one time about a doctor, a gifted surgeon, who had a minor heart attack while actually operating on a patient...I know, sounds awful, right? They had to grab another doctor from down the hall to finish the procedure, thankfully it turned out okay for everybody. But that surgeon was FINISHED from that day forward, his career as a gifted young surgeon was ruined, because nobody would let him anywhere near an operating theater after that. He had to give it all up, teaching at med school was pretty much his only option left.

Because basically ANY gig that Bowie plays, no matter how small or controlled it might be, he's going to feel nervous, he's going to feel stage fright, he's going to feel stress and pressure and anxiety...I'm sorry but it's just not worth it.

majorlance and sunspot42 like this.
  10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/behind-the-murder-of-dimebag-darrell-20041230

11. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

It's a shame he's done. He has a family and that's what comes first.

I was hoping he could do a residency series of in a large theater or small arena type thing. Sort of like Led Zeppelin's Celebration Day crossed with Cheap Trick's album nights. Film and record all of it for future releases. Bring back the vintage players that are alive with us and call it a day.

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

he's given us so much. why do "fans" always demand MORE from artists?

13. TheDailyBuzzherd

14. TheDailyBuzzherd

Let's turn that around, for fun. Does this mean our bosses are our fans?

15. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

Bowie has stated several times that he does not enjoy singing on stage.

16. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I'm cool with Bowie sticking to his guns and staying "retired." He has a vast body of work that still rewards in new and unexpected ways with continued listens. Probably my only complaint would be that he (or whoever is in charge) would take a more unified, consistent approach to his back catalog and perhaps release some thus-far unseen classic live shows on home video.

17. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The classy thing to do, at this point, is to retire, and Bowie is a classy guy. As a long-time fan, I'm at peace with his decision. I don't want to see him onstage, aged 70, wheezing through The Jean Genie.

sunspot42, jwoverho, Halfwit and 4 others like this.
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Mellencamp had a heart attack on tour, too - didn't stop him from touring!

19. TheFlesh

TheFlesh I eat fried foods.

I'll never forgive myself for not going to see him in LA when I had the chance. :realmad::cussing:

sunspot42 likes this.
  20. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Excellent point, Pine. Just thinking out loud here, though:
    Assuming DB really wanted to tour (which I doubt)...If he were to go out with a no-frills, music-only, minimal-stage-show, low-overhead presentation, I would think that he has the financial resources to self-insure. Or is that simply not done, not an option?

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It's funny how threads on the most recent Stones tour were filled with "they should retire" comments. Sometimes you need to appreciate what you've got.

karmaman likes this.
  22. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Had the pleasure of his company 4 times... Glass Spider. Sound + Vision. Tin Machine. Reality. In some ways, Tin Machine was the most memorable because the Warfield Theater was so tiny. People kept screaming for the 'hits' not realizing that for the time being those songs were nothing but memories....

23. Adam Bosman

Adam Bosman Forum Resident

Not touring and not playing live are two different things. If he doesn't want to do a full tour, does that mean there won't be ANY live dates (one offs) in the future?

longaway and JoeF. like this.
  24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I've not seen him since the Tin Machine tour.

I'm more than happy that Bowie is retiring from live performance. He's 68 for goodness sakes. It's time to hang up his platforms. He's nothing to prove, nothing left to do, and can spend time on other things he values.

I do hope we see more albums, but I'd almost come to terms with never getting one prior to The Next Day. The bottom line is, his body of work is indeed a life times achievement, everything else is just cream. At 68 there's nothing to be gained from performing.

25. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.