If Peter Criss Was So Useless, Why Didn't They Fire Him.....?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

They did fire him in 1980.

bartels76 likes this.
  2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I saw KISS several times with Peter on drums and he always did a decent job.

Ace was probably the best musician they had.

hi_watt, ShawnX and Fullbug like this.
  3. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The part he never seems to remember is that it tied with Disco Duck.

4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I'd be awfully worried about you or the people you were talking to if it did :laugh:

5. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Agreed. Peter had character. Paul was a characteristic frontman, but he didn't really properly "sing" all that much until the late 70s. Gene and Ace were mostly novelties as vocalists.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Gene and Paul are so full of themselves and there is so much bad blood in that band I don't believe a lot of the things they say about each other.

Dudley Morris and Coricama like this.
  7. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

He had the best 1978 solo album by far. It was a legitimate rock album that still stands up today.

Szeppelin75, drasil and ShawnX like this.
  8. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Paul suffers from a terrible case of revisionism.

9. d.s.l.

d.s.l. Forum Resident ^O;O^

10. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

They sell entertainment. Why would anyone take their memoirs as anything different?

11. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Couldn't agree more.

12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

By the way, I was just reading an interview with Ritchie Blackmore, form 1978, where he tells the interviewer that he likes KISS because they don't care what other people think of them, even though they admit they aren't the greatest musicians. Maybe Ritchie was right - I think it when they started to take themselves too seriously is when they really started to fight with each other.

hi_watt, Todd W. and Blastproof like this.
  13. Cyberhog9

Cyberhog9 Forum Resident

Maybe Paul could only hear half of Peter's drumming?I like Kiss,but way too much drama for the music they put out.

M321115 likes this.
  14. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

She kept interrupting the bands rehearsals by phoning Pete and in the end they had to fire him because of it.
    Peter Criss is unique in the band for being the only member whose name rhymes with the band's name, but at the end of the day this meant nothing to Paul & Gene.
    He wasn't the best drummer in the world though, he wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles.

15. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Here's the thing... Looking back, it's easy to say, "Ah, that guy. They should've whacked him long ago." But, they were living through it all. While it was happening, I believe that they were all important to each other in many ways - onstage and off. They each rose at the same rate and to the same height. I can easily imagine each of them believing in the band and looking forward to their future. Now, we can safely "Gene and Paul..." But back then it was "KISS."

16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Surely such drastic measures were not necessary!

Blastproof likes this.
  17. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

For all of Paul's complaints about Peter, while reading part of Paul's book, you can tell that in a different sort of way, the original guys were really close, in terms of the humorous anecdotes brought up in all the books from the early years. Those are lacking when it comes to subsequent band members, when being in Kiss was more businesslike. I even saw a picture as late as 1979, where Paul and Peter (on crutches) are having a good time goofing off. And in Paul's book, there's a cool picture of Paul and Ace having fun as late as 1980. I think the original four will always have some sort of connection. Ace even calls G and P "dirty whores" in his book, regarding the new guys wearing his and Peter's makeup, but IIRC Ace also says he still loves them.

coffeetime and Mark Wilson like this.
  18. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Geez, so have I. Are you going to name drop or keep us hanging with this wide range of people? Because I have been a KISS fan for the last 40 years or so. I know this, in the 70's he had one of the most powerful concert voices I have ever heard. He is also still one of the great front men of Rock n Roll. I guess it kind of comes down to who you hang with doesn't it? Or does it?..........:D

905 and coffeetime like this.
  19. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I like Paul's vocals a lot, but his onstage patter (at least on Alive) was a bit over the top.

20. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Oh man, loved his stuff in Alive

Do you feel RRRRRRRRRRRR RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I was an impressionable 15 year old though.
    :D

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  21. vamborules

Well, if you believe in Rock 'N' Roll, like you say you believe in Rock 'N' Roll.

I want to hear everyone in here say "Rock 'N' Roll!

It's the greatest. I couldn't get enough of that when I was a kid.

hi_watt, tkl7 and Todd W. like this.
  22. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

How many of you like the taste of alcohol?

When you are down in the dumps and need something to pick you up.......

I can't hear you? COLD GIN! COLD GIN

23. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Revised for accent:
    How many of yew lahk the taste of alcohahl?
    When you'all ah down in the dumps and need something to pick yew up......
    Ah can't heah yew... COLD GIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    M321115, hi_watt, Mark Wilson and 4 others like this.
  24. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

That is great...........:laughup: I absolutely love it.

25. vamborules

Cold Gin rules too, but the drum solo and rap in 100,000 Years is the ultimate. I had my little record player set up on top of my bureau and I'd blast that while I stood in front and pretended I was Paul. Then I'd play it again and sit on the bed doing air drums and pretending to be Peter. I was obsessed. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.