Paul McCartney Archive Collection - Tug Of War & Pipes Of Peace coming! (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by daveidmarx, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

OK Ben, I'm going to make you really uncomfortable. You may break out in a sweat and/or get heart palpitations. Please sit down before you answer this question, and have a rubber helmet on in case you fall off the chair.

Ben, name a Paul McCartney song you don't care for AT ALL. There is NOTHING about it you really like. :p :laugh:

There must be ONE song..isn't there? :p

2. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I don't understand the question? Does...not....compute.

:D

Ok, here are some that I could happily live without ever hearing again: 'The Broadcast', 'I Am Your Singer', 'Gratitude', 'Used To Be Bad', 'Bogey Music', 'Biker Like An Icon'.

Ugh, I now feel queasy. :D

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And "Message To Joe" doesn't count as a song!!! ;)

4. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Damn you!!!!

:D

Arnold Grove likes this.
  5. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

I'll join the BTTE army. It's solidly one of my top three McCartney albums. I enjoy most of the songs (Although I don't like the Broadcast), and So Glad To See You Here is a forgotten gem.

6. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I'm so grateful for everything you've ever given me... except this song. ;)

7. Glenn Christense

Thank you Ben. I know this hurt you to have to answer the question. :D

Once you wipe the tears from your eyes, you will realize you are a better person for admitting that Paul has released a few duff tracks in his lifetime. You are on your way to manhood. Before you know it, you will have to start shaving. :laugh:

8. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I say this about many of his solo songs, but I would love to see Paul add 'So Glad To See You Here' to his concert set-lists.

9. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

On the DVD issue - there's definitely a frame rate problem with "Tug of War (Version 2)", that looks especially bad, and to a lesser extent with "Ebony and Ivory". The rest look fine to me.

One thing that's odd is the inconsistent soundtrack. You'd think they'd replace them all with the 2015 remix, but they've used the original soundtracks on each. This means they can vary from decent (but mono) like on the Ebony and Ivory video, but Take It Away sounds exactly like you'd expect something edited on film in 1982 to sound.

Not exactly Beatles 1+… but at least they're in the original aspect ratio!

theMess likes this.
  10. Johnny Reb

That would be great! And Getting Closer too...

ConnieGuitar and theMess like this.
  11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I need to go and listen to John Lennon, because I am feeling 'Cold Turkey' at the moment. :laugh:

Glenn Christense and Johnny Reb like this.
  12. Glenn Christense

It makes me laugh that two of the few songs you can mention you dislike from Paul's catalog... I like! :D

Such is the diversity of taste regarding Paul's music of course.

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I agree. I like "Bogey Music." No, really; I do. :hide:

anthontherun and theMess like this.
  14. paulmccartneyistheman

paulmccartneyistheman Forum Resident

I really like I Am Your Singer, but I'm with you on the rest

theMess and Johnny Reb like this.
  15. Johnny Reb

Here's my stab at it:
    Women Kind, Love Is Strange, Loup, Famous Groupies, The Broadcast, Bogey Music, Tug Of Peace, Mistress & Maid, Spinning On An Axis, and Nod Your Head.

After "Driving Rain", my brain exploded. :faint:

theMess and Frank like this.
  16. Johnny Reb

I LOVE Bogey Wobble, but I just can't take the off-tempo echo on Bogey Music...

theMess likes this.
  17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Dude, ya gotta love this song. Focus on the sick drumming and Paul's killer bass. Honestly. Once I paid attention to those two elements (especially the drumming), I loved the song. Now, I'll go straight for it sometimes. A couple years ago, I never would have dared.

theMess and Johnny Reb like this.
  18. Johnny Reb

Honestly, I've only made it all the way through twice. Well, I'll try it again.

theMess and supermd like this.
  19. ConnieGuitar

ConnieGuitar Here in my balloon...

How very dare you....them's fighting words!!!

Seriously, I think it's quintessential McCartney - honestly one of his best tracks ever. Have always felt that it really should've become a "modern-day standard": always imagined Tony Bennett or certainly some contemporary jazz guy or gal doing it, and was so happy he revisited it for Kisses.

Not that anyone asked me, but I love BTTE just as is - could it be better? Sure, but it's got a unique charm, and for lack of a more delicate way to phrase it (but I'm hardly the first to say it!), it's Paul with ba**s. To hear him rock out like that was what many of us had been dying for for a while - so what's a salamander and pot reference here and there? It's our boy seeming like he did not give one fudge - tracks like "To You" felt like him saying "I've got the car keys and I'm flooring it" - and I absolutely loved him for it. But just to show he wasn't too far gone, he gave us the most awesome "Arrow Through Me" and interspersed the entire album with some of the most gorgeous harmonies heard on any Wings album. I've also always had a huge fondness for that particular lineup - as much as I love the Jimmy/Joe incarnation, the Laurence/Steve Wings could just flat out kill, and I loved the versatility they brought to this album. Even though Paul might've lost the love for Wings by that point, I was sooooo excited by the prospect of them hitting the States in 1980 touring behind that album - the set lists from those late '79 UK shows still make me swoon at the thought of what might've been.

20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Back to the Egg is solid Level II for me (Level I consisting solely of RAM, of course).

Everything from the album proper is in my playlist save for Reception and The Broadcast.

I officially like 3 songs off of Ben's hate list: I Am Your Singer, Used to Be Bad and Biker Like an Icon. Guess I'm a bigger fan than Ben!

This is fun.

Can't really argue here, although "my sweet baby" from Love is Strange is one of his more magical moments on record, and I don't really mind Nod Your Head even though I wouldn't seek it out for listening on purpose or save it in a fire.

21. Glenn Christense

I like Driving Rain. All of it, so it makes me laugh that so many people dislike it.. :D

22. Johnny Reb

I like most of it, and Freedom is actually my favorite song from the album! It's just the several songs I don't like that kills that album for me.

theMess and Frank like this.
  23. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Great post. :righton:

somebodywhocares and theMess like this.
  24. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

As of tonight I've now watched both DVDs, and I've not seen any problems at all with frame rates.

Perhaps it just affects certain players?

NB: I watched TOW on a Sony blu ray player and POP on my HP laptop.

theMess likes this.
  25. Glenn Christense

Yes, I figured Paul must like the song quite a bit himself to resurrect it for Kisses on the Bottom and I was pretty amazed that his originals on the album didn't sound out of place amongst all the old classic songs.

theMess, Johnny Reb and ConnieGuitar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.