Upgrade TT or cartridge?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lebowski, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here! Thread Starter

I like my turntable well enough. It's a Thorens TD 320. It's a lesser known model, not one that's in high demand, and doesn't sell for much. I bought it a year ago for $475 including an AT15SA cartridge. Like I said, I like it well enough, but don't have much to compare it to.

I also have a Technics SL-B20 (my dad was the original owner) in my basement system. The 320/AT15SA combo beats it.

I'm not particularly attached to the 320. I like it, mostly because it has auto-stop and a good pedigree, but I do feel the need to explore.

Should I upgrade my TT? What models do you suggest? I could maybe swing $500-$700.
    Or should I try 1-2 new cartridges on my 320?

I have an Emotiva XPS-1 preamp, a Yamaha A-S301 integrated (may upgrade that soon), and the Andrew Jones Pioneer bookshelf speakers, but have a pair of his new ELAC F5 floorstanders on order. I listen to rock, jazz, classical, exotica.

Thanks!

2. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

If it were me i would probably use the Thorens & try another cartridge & if at that point you are still not happy you can always swap the cartridge you buy onto another table down the road .
    the Technics not so much ......

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

What do you feel is lacking in what you have?

The Seeker likes this.
  4. Lebowski

Nothing that I can exactly put my finger on.
    Part of it is just that I feel like I could maybe hear something better.
    Part of it is simply upgrade-itis.

5. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident

Try another cartridge then, if you want to play around. You'll have to spend a lot of money to significantly beat the turntable you have now. You must like your music on the bright side?

Davidmk5 likes this.
  6. Lebowski

Please elaborate; what makes you say that?

7. The Seeker

You've been happy with an AT cartridge with a Shibata stylus, a solid state Yamaha integrated, and you've been listening to a pair of speakers known for being up-tilted and slightly edgy in the treble. You've ordered a pair of towers by a company who builds brighter than life speakers. This combo would drive me out of the room, but I like my music overly warm and smooth. Personally, I would be looking for more fullness and body. The Thorens turntable you have has great potential. I would start there and build around it. But everyone is different, obviously. It's a matter of individual taste.

hi_watt likes this.
  8. Lebowski

Interesting. I don't think I particularly like things bright, it's just all I've had. This is part of why I want to experiment.

I didn't buy any of this stuff (except the amp) based on listening to it. I don't have that luxury. Most decisions are based on reviews and price range. There's really no place to demo inexpensive gear.

timztunz likes this.
  9. coltlacey1

coltlacey1 Forum Resident

I would personally stick with the thorens. as for the cart, I have not heard this particular model before. perhaps a nice microline upgrade would benefit you?

10. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Unfortunately that's the case for many of us. I do agree with the others that you have a fine turntable. I think there are other things you can do to warm things up a little. Good luck and enjoy the process!

The Seeker likes this.
  11. The Seeker

I understand. I suggest cancelling the order for the Elac speakers. I wouldn't expect anything great out of them and they were, as I'm sure you probably know, designed by the same person who designed your current speakers. If you post your budget for various components, I will recommend a system to you based upon what you're willing to spend. Keep your current turntable for now. Also, I think you're way better off buying used. You'll have better options and be able to stretch your dollar further.

coltlacey1 and timztunz like this.
  12. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Don't people ever just sit back and enjoy the system they have? This looks like the beginning of an endless cycle.

dennis the menace likes this.
  13. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I enjoy my system everyday but I cannot stop looking at gear. I look while I listen. I've recently discovered some local audio stores. I understand where you are coming from Lebowski, I am always looking to get the best sound for the dollar. I been looking at replacing my AS-500 in my main system with a rega Brio-r myself.

Lebowski likes this.
  14. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

No need to buy another one. Just go to a free event that gives away Thorens TT with a good friends of yours hoping that he wins and then claim the TT for yourself.
    No spoken promises... just seal the deal in writing :p

Trapper J, adamdube and Lebowski like this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I'm afraid that's the weak point you should be adressing, not the TT or cart, which are very good.

Trapper J likes this.
  16. Lebowski

Not that I've seen! Seriously, yesterday I did sit back and enjoy my system tremendously. But for a lot of people in this hobby, part of the fun is in the tweaking. Do I really to say that on this forum?!?

You should have seen me 10-15 years ago, buying and selling cameras like they were going out of style! Always looking for the silver bullet. Better I do it with gear than with women!

coltlacey1 and troggy like this.
  17. Lebowski

Maybe. I don't know. I kinda like it, but if you're going to twist my arm like this then I'm willing to try something different! Was thinking about a Rega Brio R for the future, or maybe an Emotiva XSP-1 and XPA-200. (but that's a considerable amount of money for me, and maybe overkill)

18. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Admittedly, it was almost rhetorical.

19. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

You're killing me Smalls!

Trapper J and PH416156 like this.
  20. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Cartridge and new gold leads.

21. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Lebowski.....I think in your case a different cartridge is in order. I saw that table has either a TP-90 or TP-16 mkIII arm - which is it? This makes a difference is what way you should go. If that cartridge isn't a proper match for the arm, then getting a better suited cartridge will not only be an audible upgrade but also perhaps a different sound (as in a different brand's sound)

22. Lebowski

Looks like I've got the TP 16 Mk IV. The Mk III was on this 'table through 1985, then they switched to the Mk IV in 1986.

Looks like this:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

(not my pictures)

23. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Way to go !:agree:

24. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

OK, then you're on the right track with your current cartridge as far as matching the tonearm just right. The TP90 tonearm was not a good match for the AT15SA.

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_resonance_evaluator.php?eff_mass=12.5&submit=Submit

You want to be in the green and, remembering to add the mounting hardware to the total weight (1-3 grams I think, depending on material, but know for sure to be safe). Your cart has a compliance of 9 for this chart. 10 Hz is about perfect.

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_database.php?m=Audio Technica&t=any&mod=at15s&sort=2&Search=Search&sty=&ovlo=&ovhi=&can=&dclo=&dchi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=

Now it's down to trying something different. How would you describe your systems sound? Bright, dark, neutral....etc. Hard to know really without hearing other systems really. Do you find yourself getting tired of listening at all....or perhaps you think it's muddy.

Jico makes one that's the next level up, from shibata to nude shibata

25. Lebowski

Wow, thanks!

I would say my system sounds neutral to bright. Don't really get tired/fatigue from listening, though I rarely get the opportunity to listen for more than an hour or so.

Jico? Does that mean you are suggesting a new stylus? Not an entirely different cartridge, maybe something that will get me into the 10Hz compliance zone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.