What Kiss Album Represents the Start of Their Musical Decline?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

The guy who did "Peanuts"? I thought he died...

2. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

They lost me when they sounded and looked like any other hard rock/heavy metal band of the time, and from when Ace left, so from Lick It Up (which isn't bad in comparison to what followed) on. And when I hear about Gene bailing and pretty much not contributing much to the 1980s albums, I like them even less. But Revenge (from the 1990s) is very good.

3. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

In reality, Dynasty is not as good as Love Gun. There is nothing as good as "Shock Me" on Dynasty. "2000 Man" is decent, but it's a cover.

4. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Sure Know Something and I was Made are better than Shock Me......surely or did Disco Suck? :)

5. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

6. Jose Jones

Shock Me is Ace's signature tune. The disco tune and SKS are footnotes now.

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

We can't really gauge the quality of one album by one outstanding tune (or at least I don't). I'd say, overall, Dynasty is better than Love Gun in terms of overall songs. Close, yes, but better.

Olias of Sunhill likes this.
  8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Shock Me kicks major tush. :)
    Its Ace at his best. I like live versions better than the studio version.

9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Dynasty has a better cover tune.
    Love Gun has a better album cover.
    Love Gun has Shock Me.
    Dynasty does NOT have Hooligan.

Dynasty wins.

Emperor5353 and GodShifter like this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I pretty much agree.

On "Love Gun" the only songs I think are outstanding are the title track, "Shock Me" (perhaps my favorite KISS track of all with apologies to "Strange Ways") and "I Stole Your Love". The rest is average to terrible filler.

Dynasty has filler, too, but I like it better plus it features three Ace songs (though, yes, one is a cover). I like "Dirty Livin'", too. "Magic Touch" is really good, too. I even like "Charisma".

Deuce66 likes this.
  11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Charisma is underrated.

bartels76 likes this.
  12. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I have no idea when their decline started but all I can say is I stopped buying at Destroyer.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The closest KISS ever came to a near perfect album imo was Hotter than Hell, recorded at a proper studio with a great producer it could've been magical. Their downfall started with mgmt. working them too damn hard and recording too much music, looking back at the albums I think Love Gun was really half baked and the beginning of the end of the original era. The rot was really starting to set in with Dynasty (where's Gene??) if it wasn't for the big hit single Dynasty would've died a very quick death a la Unmasked.

GodShifter likes this.
  14. Emperor5353

Emperor5353 Forum Resident

I hated Unmasked when it came out, except for Ace's songs on it..but the decline for me started after Hot in The Shade or Smashes. Thrashes
    In time I have learned to love Unmasked and The Elder..those 2 lp's get more listens nowadays then anything else by Kiss

15. Jose Jones

The problem is Ace's tunes are mediocre compared to Rocket Ride, Shock Me, or his solo album. I'd rather listen to Christine Sixteen than Charisma.

Dynasty is the "underdog" album and we all love the underdog, myself included. But it has a more generic sound, unfortunately. Anton Fig is Andy White and Peter Criss is Ringo, in my analogy here.

GodShifter likes this.
  16. helter

helter Forum Resident

At the time I thought Love Gun
    Because it included a paper gun so I thought I was getting too old for their music.
    Now I like Love Gun especially the title track....it rocks !

shaboo likes this.
  17. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

All due respect, I think Destroyer was the absolute peak. So I vote for R&RO as the beginning of the end. Not that it was bad, but it was a step down from Destroyer.

18. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Well not in my world........:)

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Actually I prefer Love Gun for sentimental reasons over Dynasty. I recognize neither are "great albums" and pointed to LG early in the thread as the album that marked their slow (rapid?) decline.

Fullbug likes this.
  20. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Agreed. Would add that Dynasty had much better production as well. Poncia's style might not be to everyone's taste -- it's arguably not very classic KISS-like -- but I think it created the band's most cohesive-sounding record since Destroyer. Which is ironic, since the band was in such utter chaos during recording.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

This thread raises a practical question: are the four 1978 albums that were simultaneously released solo records or Kiss records? I submit that they're all Kiss records because the Kiss logo is displayed on the covers of each of the records. If they're part of the Kiss canon, then I think the start of the decline was Gene's record, which was useless. Ace's record, on the other hand, is really good... it's a legitimate rock record that should have launched a full fledged solo career for him.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    Coricama likes this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I submit they are but they aren't. That answer your question ;)?

Fullbug likes this.
  23. Jose Jones

Nobody plays on each other's albums. That's not Kiss. The logo is just a marketing schtick.

GodShifter and Fullbug like this.
  24. Brian Ramone

Brian Ramone Well-Known Member

Rock n Roll Over proved it was over.
    Punk and Alternative took over which didn't help this crappy album.
    I spun it maybe 5 times.

25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

But Dynasty has Dirty Livin'...the worst song in the Katlog, so by default it loses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.