Pro-Ject MaiA CD Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by psulioninks, Oct 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone own one of these? Pro-Ject MaiA CD Player

If so, I was curious as to how you like it and how reliable it's been. I don't plan to use the DAC in it - will feed it to my Musical Fidelity M1DAC and use the player just as a transport only for the times when I want to listen to a disc without ripping it first.

I'm looking for something small and cost effective.

Thanks!

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've long wanted one of these for the same reason. I just wish they sold a cheaper, transport-only version.

Note too this is also called the "CD Box S". Not sure if MaiA is a new name, international moniker, etc.

3. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

CD Box S has a co-axial s/pdif, this has optical.

4. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident Thread Starter

I purchased a CD Box S - for the coax digital output...should arrive tomorrow.

c-eling likes this.
  5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'd love to hear your comments on it. Even though you're getting it as a transport A/B the internal DAC just for fun.

c-eling likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Curious how this player handles pre-emphasis
    If it handles both TOC and SUB it would be a nice little player for my set-up

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Hard to figure out what's going on here. The CD Box S and Maia CD are listed side by side, and are absolutely identical except for as you say, the different digital out. The reason for the Maia CD seems to be as a companion in name to the Maia integrated amp, but unless they're sold as a bundle (and even if they are, really), I'm just not sure why they created this distinction with virtually no difference.

8. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Well yes, it puzzles me too. Very odd given most hifi types (and it us who buy it) prefer co-axial outputs anyway.:thumbsup:

9. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Hi, does anybody have any other comments on the Maia player? Thanks.

10. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Well -this looks very tempting for the price esp. since the MAIA is not just a transport but a full blown CD Player , which plays - CD, CD-RW and Hybrid SA-CD. Analog outputs and optical output- so you can use it as a transport.
    The MAIA line looks tempting (esp. the PRE + Mono Amp sets play in a higher league than it's combined price = 349 & 3)
    If you are looking at a transport the mighty RS CD.T is what you want, Combined with the fantastic RS-DAC you get true High Fidelity. Top loader CD Drive - special Blue Tiger Cd management and superb audiophile quality for all your digital desires.
    Read what STEREOPLAY had to say about it..

http://box-designs.com/inhalt/en/reviews/PJ-BD-CDBoxRS-DACBoxRS-Stereoplay-0514-EN.pdf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.