JOHN GRANT announces third solo album, “Grey Tickles, Black Pressure”, released 2nd October 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jun 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I just received my CD from Rough Trade today, along with the limited EP, which actually contains five tracks, not four as previously suspected. There are Royal Northern Sinfonia versions of four tracks from the new album (Global Warming, Black Blizzard, Geraldine and No More Tangles), plus a version of the old Czars song 'Drug'. Nearly half an hour in total.

2. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

And recorded at the show at Sage Gateshead that I was at!

Great album as well.

3. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I saw him last night in Toronto. The new material is still growing on me, but he and his quite cool band did some crackerjack versions of 'Queen Of Denmark', 'GMF' and 'Glacier' among others. When John is good, he really is a revelation.

4. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

This reminds me to report that I really like the new album. No highs as obvious yet as 'Marz' or 'Glacier', but much more diversity and eclecticism than the previous two albums, embracing sides of Grant's musical personality that had been pushed to the sidelines on them. 'Snug Slacks' is kind of the slightly less outre cousin of 'That's the Good News' from Queen of Denmark's bonus disc, for instance. Not quite as hilarious, but nevertheless pretty funny.

The bonus EP is really terrific this time around, as well, particularly its versions of 'Black Blizzard' and 'Geraldine', which totally outclass the (very good) album versions.

5. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

I just received the 2xlp (lavender and orange vinyl) + CD version of this album yesterday. I gave it one listen thus far and feel I need to listen to it a few more times before commenting on the music itself. I did however want to mention what a nice package deal this was. Cool artwork, color vinyl, and a bonus cd....all in all, a steal at the about $25.00 I paid! Off to give it another listen :)

6. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The album is definitely a grower, took me a few listens but now I love it.

7. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

This is the best selling vinyl album in the UK this week, according to the official charts !

8. GabeL

GabeL Forum Resident

Fully agree! I'm really digging it now :)

ralphb likes this.
  9. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I received the vinyl today. 120 gm, 2LP, white vinyl and luckily the one pressed @ Optimal. [​IMG]
    The others are pressed at GZ Digital so glad I did not get one of those copies. [​IMG]

Not sure why the mixed reviews, sounds pretty good to me and even rocking out on a few tracks.

10. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Off to see him tonight in London, like the new album but don't love it like the previous two. The upbeat tracks sound a little bit forced in my opinion....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.