Live at Leeds CD(best sound)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by progrocker, Mar 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbardc

sbardc Forum Resident

A bump for this as almost 10 years on I find myself asking the same unanswered question.

Louis Bova and dennis the menace like this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If you want the best sounding complete concert, Tommy and all, I highly recommend the most current digital version off of itunes. It has the cleanest sound of any version I own including the 90's deluxe CD package on which Tommy sounds AWFUL!! If you love the album, the digital version is a must (I say this NOT as a fan of digital downloads by ANY means...so that should serve as an indication as to impressed I am by it...it's my favorite live album of all time).

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  3. Lynd8

Lynd8 Forum Resident

My 2 cents - The 95 single disc is the one - the DE sound is awful. I still bought it for Tommy, but was a major disappointment.

Quadrophenia - The Japanese of the original remaster from late 90's is great. The boxed set is a must for the demos.

4. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

I've got the 15-track, UK 1995, Polydor single disc version & love it...It sounds like an honest reproduction of what a 1970 live recording should sound like I think. Either way, at least it has 10-more tunes than the original release ! It's not sweetened in any way except for maybe the removal of tape-hiss, & includes most of the in-between song chit-chat & jokes. Great stuff !!! (That Keith Moon is a classic. Another loss all-too-soon).

Crisp & clear is how I'd describe the sound, & it was a lot better than I expected it to be. ( Better sound than the original record I thought ).

All this being said, do I have a "good" version of the show, or where do I go next, & where are the improvements to be found ?

Cheers,

Gregster

5. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have never heard the German version, but I recently got the original MCA made in Japan disc. I like the sound better than the 1995 version I had been listening to for years.

Dave likes this.
  6. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

I agree with everyone who says the DE is horrible. I also think that the 2 disc Isle of Wight is just as bad.

I've got an old vinyl copy that I just retrieved from storage about a year ago after buying a new turntable that I hadn't played in at least 30 years. It's pretty noisy. But I cannot remember now if "crackling noises" we're throughout the album or not. I have a feeling they are supposed to be intermittent only.

7. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

8. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

Yes! I agree wholeheartedly! The 2014 digital is easily the best sounding version to have now - even the stage banter between songs is much easier to understand now.

Quadboy likes this.
  9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The 2014 digital release is the way to go now, it sounds amazing and the tracklist was restored to its original order, with "Tommy" in the middle of the show.

WhoTapes1 and Quadboy like this.
  10. sbardc

sbardc Forum Resident

Thanks for the replies to my bumped post, but they are discussing issues which have already been widely covered on the forum, rather than addressing the Japan CD comparison question.

No matter, I'll start a thread specific to that.

11. sonnyrock

sonnyrock Forum Resident

Bear in mind that the Japanese cd does not have crossfades, unlike the West German cd. If I remember correctly, the original lp did not have crossfades either. For what it's worth I preferred the sound of the West German.

12. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

i have a j-for-US in smoothsidedjewelcase

13. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

iTunes? No. HDTracks for the 2014 deluxe version.

14. misko

misko Forum Resident

I just play LAL complete very loud. Gets my blood moving and its in the proper order.

steveharris likes this.
  15. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

This! And it is in proper order, too!

16. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

Just picked this Japan-for-US pressing up in the bins, listening now :agree:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    rstamberg, mdm08033 and Dave like this.
  17. JPagan

JPagan Generation 13

Pono's the way to go; they have it for much less money, even after coupons.

18. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I like this one better than the 6-track WG CD. Smoother.

mdm08033 and MedozK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.