McCormack audio Dna-750

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bathory, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Your Sunfire Signature should be a decent amp. No?

2. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore Thread Starter

It is a great little powerhouse! It completely destroyed the emotive xpa1 monos. Emotive bass was deeper, but not as controlled, or as tight at the Carver sunfire

3. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I'd go with the B&K...Assuming it is in good working order.

4. coopmv

Isn't Emotive a line of inexpensive audio gears made and designed in China?

5. Bathory

Yes

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  6. Bathory

Wow, where to start. I can think of a few words first: soundstage, relaxed, emotion, accurate, sleeping dog.

I have never had this level of perfection before, the very first thing I noticed was my dog keeping her old **** on the couch, this has not happened in 12 years, each time I turn on my stereo, my dog will lay around the corner from me, or behind the couch, not this time, I put on some music, and I was absofu**inlutely shocked, my dog stayed on the couch next to me, and shared some music with me. The second thing I noticed is the completely relaxed sound these have, it's jaw dropping for me, at low volume, I have exactly the same sound, from bass, mid & highs, as I do with a louder volume, granted when pushed, these guys offer as much power as a charging rhino shi**ing glass, no joke.!!!!

I am floored, these beasts completely destroy my 600w Sunfire signature, and those 500w emotiva monos, can't even keep up the slightest bit. The only close amp I own is the odyssey stratos, which do hold their own, another shock, measly 200w monos, holding their own with 650 w McCormack/Conrad Johnson mono's........wow!

The McCormack amps are without a doubt the finest sounding amps I have ever had the pleasure to listen to, their sheer raw power, coupled with the most relaxed purest midrange/highs I have ever heard. I am glad I made the purchase.
    These are my reference, absolutely no doubt about it, NONE!
    The bass is very organic, not electronic sounding in the slightest, just deep deep tight, real sounding kick drums. Bass guitar is just there, as is everything. I just wanted to share a few words, as I am one happy camper, as I mentioned this is m y first real trip to real high end, and it is amazing, truly amazing! I honestly don't know where to go now, I doubt I can get better, and once I try a couple different preamps/sources, I will pick the best, and just stop looking for new amps, I think my journey has ended for quite a long time.

My modded cerwin vega d-9's have never sung to this level before, with absolutely no noticeable stress, from them or the amps what so ever. My Energy RC-70's are perfectly amplified, even at high volume, the small woofers are completely controlled, tight tight tight. Their sound is so accurate now, Gary Moore, Robin Trower are 7 feet from me playing live. I do not think I can get better. Honestly, I didn't think I could get any better, than the sunfire,....I was wrong!

I tried both my aging preamps, the B&K pro 10 mc and onkyo p-308. B&k sounded cleaner, made recordings less voiced.

Thanks to you all for your thoughts, I'm going to go "hear" some music now.............

Sanders sound systems preamplifier in the works for post holiday purchase. As is the NAD 565 CD player.

I am happy, that is all

Turntable likes this.
  7. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Awesome report, glad you are so happy with your purchase!

8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

You can, you just have to send them off to Steve McCormack for upgrading. Start saving now!

John K.

9. Bathory

I spoke with both Steve and Patrick a few times. They mentioned don't bother unless I have minimum 12-1500 per amp for upgrades, or not much in sound upgrades will be noticeable. I'm saving from now til I have several k for upgrades, but they sound so damn sweet now,how much better can they get?????

10. Bathory

I have had these for quite some time, and I am still floored at the unbelievable, accurate, almost rapture like relaxed sound these have. I did acquire the Sanders sound systems preamp, this combo is almost too neutral, not in a bad way, but the source material and the recording is what dictates the sound from the speakers. I can now tell which recordings are horrid, and which are perfection. Pretty cool really!

I am so happy to have such a nice system now, I have the sunfire in basement duty with the b&k pro10, and a cheap cd carousel, but still, it sounds great!! The upstairs is the DNA-750's, sanders preamp, denon pro CD player, blue jeans rca cables, and my aging 4 ga speaker wire with banana's. Feeding My energy RC-70's. I'm in heaven!

Who wants to buy a pair of emotiva xpa-1's ?? Lifetime warranty St Jude editions.

11. Bathory

I am using a new Yamaha cd-s300 for my CD player, wow, what a difference. Even the wife says, "it sounds like the music is coming from a stadium" I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds really good now.

I'm in love with these amps, and the Sanders preamp, and my new acquisition , the Yamaha CD player. Only about 9 hours of actual cd spin time, but it sounds open, airy, vocals are amazing, bass is still slightly lacking, maybe a break in will help, still, it sounds really darn good!!!!!

HAPPY, HAPPY, now, where did I put my 8 foot graphix, it's time to celebrate.

12. coopmv

:edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs:

13. Bathory

cd player dumped on me. so dna-750's will sit dormant until i get a replacement.

anyone else use these dna-750's.. ? ? ? ? ?

your thoughts

CJ classic SE or the mccormack LD2 ????
    would i benefit from the LD-2 preamp, instead of the Sanders pre ?? I know no mccormack has been made for 5 years now, so i don't want to buy a bad pre

14. coopmv

I wonder if McCormack will ever make new products anymore after its separation from CJ? :sigh:

15. Bathory

Steve has new amps, preamp, etc etc out now, but they are not affordable to me ( ever, unless used and at a substantial loss to purchaser)

new amps look amazing! preamp is wicked too, but the price just.......way too much.

i thought CJ still had the rights to mccormack gear??

they are a fad gone the way of the dodo according to CJ, last time i spoke with them. Its been over 5 years since any CJ(mccormack) gear has been made.

Steve's new products are amazing. check his website...... :)

16. coopmv

Where is the link to his website?

17. Bathory

SMc Audio

If i had the csh, i would send them in for the platinum (THE WORKS) ..supposed to be amazing.
    I'm happy with them now, the best caps were replaced by Dan babineau, all teflon in input and output stages. ...i don't think their even broken in yet.......... they are truly the best amps i have ever owned.

18. coopmv

Looks like the website has mainly upgrades of older McCormack amps/preamps though there are some new preamps but no New amps ...

19. timind

timind phorum rezident

Speaking of upgrades, look at this thread over on AudioCircle for a tricked out 750: McCormack DNA-750 pair is here and running

This guy took it seriously.

20. coopmv

The DNA-750 is some serious amp and maybe a better amp than any SS amps from CJ ...

21. coopmv

How about Bob Carver's latest
    Crimson 350/Raven 350
    $9,500 (U.S. dollars) for 2 monoblock amplifiers

[​IMG]

with ten year warranty!

22. Bathory

those were on my ( should I buy ) list along with Pass labs mono's which were at the time close in price to the mccormack 750's. I chose Mccormack, and am very happy, and I have a nice upgrade path should i choose it.

Looking at the LD-2 pre to accompany the 750s'.

those carvers were just about 2K less than that on audition, but that extra 3K forced me into the Mccormacks, and I have ZERO guilt, or remorse. Im super happy with the Mccormacks. They may be audio's big secret.
    nah, I'm just happy is all.. !!

23. Bathory

thoughts.............

bump

24. coopmv

I would have preferred McCormack resumes being a full production company ... :agree:

25. Bathory

Steve and Pat do make amps, preamps, but the prices are so damn far from what i will EVER be able to afford, leaves m,e in the cold.

its a shame for us blue collar schlubs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.