Stevie Wonder Innervisions coming on AF Gold

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnnyH, Feb 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

To me, the AF is nothing to sneeze at! It comes very, very close to the HD Tracks version.

2. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

The SHM-SACDs are any good?

3. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Is there a really good, readily available, vinyl version out there ? Or is it a case of finding a nice original ? (I only have a Back to Black series reissue, which is OK).

4. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

The SHM-SACDs are said to be flat transfers. I think they're all a bit dull and lifeless and in need of goosing up and for that reason I think the HDtracks versions are a step up, but others may disagree.

Incidentally, not to be confused with the SHM-CDs, which are clones of the 2000 CD remasters.

Poxy Bowsy likes this.
  5. back2vinyl

The only thing I can think of is the MoFi vinyl from a few years back but I didn't buy that one so I don't know how it sounds. I have the original UK Tamla Motown LP but I haven't played it in a long time and all I can remember about it is that it didn't do much for me - I think it was a bit flat and lifeless to my ears, as with the SHM-SACD referred to above. A lot will depend on what cartridge you're using, though.

6. Poxy Bowsy

Should i assume the SACD sounds closer to the original vinyl releases? Do you prefer Audio Fidelity or HDtracks? And for the other Stevie albums not mastered by Audio Fidelity, which mastering should i choose?

7. back2vinyl

Generally speaking - and I've by no means heard every last one of them - I'd say the original LPs, the original CDs, the SHM-SACDs and the Audio Fidelity masterings all tend to be quite dark with not much top end. Since that's how most people grew up with them, that's how most people like them and I'm probably in a minority wanting them goosed up a bit.

Interestingly the tracks on the first Original Musiquarium CD are completely different in tone and have masses of top end - probably even too much for me.

Also, the 2000 CDs have a boosted bass and a very bright top that most people strongly dislike. They do go too far, even for me.

For my money the HDtracks versions are the closest so far to how these albums ought to sound. The bass and top end are goosed up a bit but not stupidly so and I think the tonal balance serves the music very well, from bottom to top.

But that's very much my personal preference and I wouldn't try to tell anyone the HDtracks were best. If the SHM-SACDs are indeed flat transfers, and I have no reason to doubt it, then arguably, that's how these albums were intended to be heard, for better or worse!

George P, Poxy Bowsy and Plan9 like this.
  8. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I am very satisfied with all the AF Stevie Wonder titles. Been listening to them non-stop these past few weeks in preparation for Tuesday's concert at MSG.

9. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I have the original CDs and the AFs.
    I agree with back2vinyl, the top end is decidedly muted and though I'm generally not in favour of futzing with things too much, I would welcome a bit of massaging on the top.

Edit, maybe I should have said tweaking, massinging sounds a bit inappropriate LOL

back2vinyl likes this.
  10. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

I second that Blair G.
    I have been itching to say that my AFs of Innervisions and Fulfillingness were muffled but was in fear of reprisals from the "devoted".
    I sprang for a copy (first pressing cd) of Musiquarium only to find the reverse!
    It's got top end but no b*lls.

back2vinyl likes this.
  11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I listened to Musicquarium yesterday, sounded just as muffled as the rest, guess I don't have the first pressing

12. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Someone please verify but MoFi did not release Innervisions on LP, just on CD...right?... I still think the MoFi CD beats the other digital versions I have heard even the hi res...

If you do go for an original US vinyl pressing, try to find the one mastered at Kendun Recorders because the first masterings not done there tended to skip on many turntables.

13. Poxy Bowsy

Thank you for your answer. HDtracks released his complete discography? And all of his albums were released on SACDs flat transfers, or just a few?

14. Poxy Bowsy

Does anybody knows the mastering of this version? Is different than my AF and my MFSL...

15. back2vinyl

My memory - not very reliable - is that Musicquarium CD set was remastered and it's the original version that has the interesting EQ with lots of top end and not much bottom.

16. back2vinyl

Very sorry, I just assumed MoFi had done all his classic albums on their silver label recently but maybe they only did one or two.

The only problem I have with the old MoFi CD of Innervisions is that the deep bass is just crazy. If you have a big, powerful subwoofer you can feel the earth move - and so can the neighbours. I love deep bass but I can't play the MoFi version without switching the subwoofer off so it kinda defeats the purpose.

Interesting about the LP - I wonder if bass was an issue there, as well.

17. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

"Musiquarium" includes a few alternate mixes, including "Living For The City". Supposedly, Stevie compiled the album master for "Musiquarium" from the two track master mixes for each song, rather than dubbing them from the album masters, which had crossfades.

18. back2vinyl

No - the albums I've been talking about here are his "classic" albums including Talking Book, Innervisions, Fulfillingness' First Finale, Songs In The Key Of Life and possibly, Music Of My Mind. All the first four were remasterd for HDtracks by Kevin Reeves and also appeared on SHM-SACD as flat transfers. Music Of My Mind later appeared on HDtracks but mastered by someone else, from memory, and I don't think it's quite as good as the others.

That YouTube clip you posted has been deleted now but I'm fairly sure it was the 2000 CD. Oddly, though, the speed seemed slightly wrong so I'm not sure what happened there.

Poxy Bowsy likes this.
  19. back2vinyl

Interesting - I wonder if it was aggressively mastsered to give it all that top end or if that's what the original masters really sound like and it's only the production masters that are all muffled? That's something I've often thought about.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Not sure whats wrong with the original cd. Sounds pretty good too me.

George P, ted209 and motownboy like this.
  21. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

I'm not a big fan of the Audio Fidelity masterings of Stevie's 70's work. I think they're kind of muddy, with not enough clarity. If i'm looking for a more open sound, where the instruments and arrangements breath more and better and also with more clarity, which other masterings should i try?

22. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Until Stevie lets the masters out of the vault that's pretty much the sound of those albums we are stuck with.

23. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Don't the SACDs and the HDtracks have a more open sound?

24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Compared to what?

The AF and HD Tracks versions are very, very close, except that the AF titles have a bit more depth. You really can't lose with either.

The way I have understood it for more than a decade is that Stevie Wonder has the first generation album masters in his vault, and reportedly won't let them be used, but the record label has very good copies or safeties. I suppose that's all we are going to get unless or until Steve finally allows his tapes to be mastered, or he croaks.

I recall reading about the one time when the first generation album master for "Innervisions" was accidentally given to Mobile Fidelity, and they definitely used it. I understand that it was the last time that mistake was made by Stevie's people.

25. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Agreed, although I kept the AF and sold the original. No regrets, though. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.