NEW David Bowie album: Blackstar (January 8, 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Well, he certainly has us talking!!! :D

JLGB and D.H. like this.
  2. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Underneath the large black star is "Bowie" written with pieces of star ;)

pablorkcz, drasil, jfeldt and 6 others like this.
  3. robbieplatter

robbieplatter Forum Resident

Donny McCaslin. I would take that with a grain of salt until there's real confirmation.

4. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Great spot but they will still need a sticker for the rest of us!

5. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Loving the (prospective) album cover.

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Holy crap - good spot!

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/forum-policies.303291/

Forbidden Topics
    •Race
    •Politics
    •Economic, financial, and environmental topics are allowed unless the discussion becomes distinctly political
    •Religion

Does no one read or care about the rules anymore?

1) It's against the forum rules and 2) subjects like this always devolve into arguments and hard feelings. This carries over to all other threads here and we've seen people snipping each other in other threads because of a disagreement. After all, everyone knows that I voted right, you didn't. :winkgrin:

Anti religious posts are the same as religious posts. Why would we restrict religious posts and let "God does not exist" posts stand?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2015
    SandAndGlass and Karnak like this.
  8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ok, folks, is it possible to avoid deep religious discussion? I know that the song (supposedly) has massive religious overtones but when we discuss differences between religions and all that stuff we are going just a bit too far.

I've reopened the thread (after all, it is Bowie!) Please keep in mind the forum rules, don't get too deep in the religious debate, be respectful of each others beliefs and try not to get the other Gorts mad at me that I reopened the thread. :laugh:

Okay? Deal?

Thanks, all! Appreciate it! :)

9. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

That's you with your "holy" :laugh:

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

:angel:

11. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

I don't know how anyone could call 'If You Can See Me' boring, it's probably my favourite track on the album! Each to his/her own though :) Agree with your other 'best left off' suggestion though - way too upbeat and cheesy (cringe-worthy in fact) for the album. I'd also have left off either 'Boss of Me' or '(You Will) Set The World on Fire' too. But whatever one's opinions, definitely a classic album. Just a song or two too many.

Blackstar has me bursting with excitement! :)

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  12. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

The problem that I see (and I've not listened to your edit) is that this thread is about a Bowie song that was just released, not a re-edit contest or remix version of the song and/or albums.

Not trying to be a jerk, but as plainly as I can say it, I just don't think most people right now care about your remix or edit. To me it looks like you're trying to turn this thread into a topic about your work and not David Bowie's when most people want to focus on Bowie's work.

Just my two cents.

13. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Deal! :)

Gary likes this.
  14. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

I apologize for that, fellow Forum members. Won't happen again.

Gary likes this.
  15. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Not sure where you get that from...final fit/finish/polish/mastering of a new album falls within the domain of the producer and A&R rep, if not the label executive branch...

16. Cool. So now rather than just discuss the parts and pieces and merits of music we now actually edit and change the songs for the artists. Hmmmmm :tiphat:

lodger79 likes this.
  17. Those four items. After love and death , the main topics of a rock and roll song :tiphat:

18. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Besides that, they are pretty much the only topics worth discussing. Which of course is why they are usually discouraged for conversations at social gatherings as well. :)

e.s. and Mazzy like this.
  19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

What about partying, dude? "It's not the side effects of the cocaine, I'm thinking that it must be love. . . "

drasil, Lost In The Flood and Mazzy like this.
  20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Well, OK, plus The Beatles. Always worth discussing. :D

FJFP likes this.
  21. 'If You Can See Me' (IYCSM) is definitely MY favorite track on The Next Day. I love the whole album, but I wish he'd done one or two more tracks that have those same kind of skittering energy and nebulous melodies as IYCSM.

Reality is my #1 favorite Bowie album, followed (in order) by The Next Day, Heathen, Earthling, and Outside.

Practically all my favorite Bowie is post-"Tin Machine", and I expect Blackstar to ultimately be among my ultimate Bowie top 3. (So to to say I can't wait, is definitely an understatement!)

Halloween_Jack and strummer101 like this.
  22. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I also like "If You Can See Me" a lot. Teetering on the edge of chaos.
    I'm with you on 90s-2000s Bowie. Taken on their own, each album is pretty darn good to exceptional.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  23. music and movies

music and movies Forum Resident

I don't see how talking about the structure of the song is not talking about the song itself. The new cut was simply meant to illustrate and emphasize the points which I had originally argued. Some people don't like the song, so I'm also exploring why, and I believe that pacing is one factor.
    For the purpose of discussion, yes. I think some of you are failing to recognize the difference between replacing a song and providing an illustration to advance a critical discussion of the original piece about the song's pacing.

What I'm taking away from this is that nobody here wants to engage in a thoughtful, critical discussion about the song. Somebody here said: "just enjoy the song." I guess if that was how we treated everything on this forum, there wouldn't really be much to talk about.

Maybe it's the short-term excitement of the new release that is making people defensive. That's a sociological phenomenon: new things are exciting; new things have a glow to them. I get that. Perhaps I'm just immune to that initial wave of excitement -- I tend to assess things as they are from the get-go. It might be more pertinent to have this discussion six months to a year from now.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    SteveCooks likes this.
  24. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

So you really aren't going for a know-it-all tone? Really?

Please stop talking about how you are a great video and audio editor, are immune to sociological phenomena and are the only person here who wants to have thoughtful discussions.

You're not trying to discuss anything - you're trying to prove how your vision for Bowie's latest single is better than Bowie's vision. Nothing other than self-centred pontificating.

If you want to brag about your abilities, start a separate thread. Let's get back to taking about Bowie's work on a Bowie thread, yeah?

Really interesting production. Very compelling and uneasy video. Cannot wait for the new album. Whether or not one considers TND and Blackstar to be successful, he has proved (again) that he can adopt whatever persona or approach he wants and make something substantial of it. So good to have him producing music for is again.

25. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

I was listening to it on headphones last night and was noticing that it's a pretty nice mix, I think it sounds great.

sunspot42 and Six Bachelors like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.