The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I like "Samba in the Rain". Had it been introduced in better times for the band, it could have turned into something much more interesting. It sounds kind of loose and underehearsed. But, I insist: I like it.

warewolf95 and madpanic like this.
  2. madpanic

madpanic Forum Resident

Exactly. This song could have been great with more time and a polish of the lyrics.

Rne likes this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I think it's good that they don't release a show if they don't have the master.
    We already have people like Charlie Miller doing his best with what is out there.

saundr00 and Jason Tenney like this.
  4. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

This is a band that spend gobs of money for the best possible sounding XXXX (fill in the blank). Why would they compromise those standards now?

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I don't expect/want them to compromise, but if they simply don't have something in the vault, what's the harm of releasing it using a non-vault source? Assuming it's legally possible, of course.

6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

That Wharf rat from Nashville '78 is indeed a great one. Go [​IMG]

7. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

But what happens IF they do get the master reels back? They're not going to re-release it. And you know us picky Deadheads would complain. Just avoid the whole ordeal and keep it on the shelf. That's what I'd do in their shoes.

trd and warewolf95 like this.
  8. Black Widow

Black Widow Forum Resident

I'm assuming you're referring to "unofficially released" recordings of SBDs? Many of the ones from the 1H of the 80's are derived from cassette masters. Compared to R2R, the sonics of casettes suck. They have limited dynamics and are often plagued with speed issues. (Ever noticed how often Jerry vocals sounds like Alvin The Chipmonk on those 1H 80's tapes?) And when the master cassette, or one of the cassette dubs off the master, was made w/ Dolby NR, the high end and the dynamics are further reduced. :cry:

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. Black Widow

Check out the Shakedown from the Oct 20, 1984 show at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. Although Jerry blows a lot of the lyrics he kills it on da geeeetar. They extend the tune about 10 minutes, and it's funky the whole way through. Some real nice vocal interplay between Jerry, Bobby & Brent during the Just Gotta' Poke Around part... right before they kick into the jam. :bdance:

10. warewolf95

6/11/76 - Boston

Holy crap that first set is the doldrums! It wasn't a lack of energy or bad performances. I don't know what it was, but that was the most time-wasting 94 minutes of Dead I've heard in a while.

11. warewolf95

That is true and I had thought of that. There's just no great solution, lol. :p

12. trd

trd Forum Resident

I don't know about "better" but the Shakedown from 6/30/85 at Merriweather Post is definitely on any list of top versions.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  13. warewolf95

I listened to that yesterday after the one I mentioned. I think it's almost as good, but not as powerful. There's a certain "strength" to the 12/31/84 version that just pushes it beyond, imo. Still, both kickass either way! :)

Crispy Rob and trd like this.
  14. Zipperheadbanjo

Zipperheadbanjo Forum Resident

If you are ignoring 1989, 1990 you are missing out on the golden age of the band in my opinion. They were a machine eating beast in 89/90.

91 had some pretty heady moments also :)

If only Brent had lived... we might still be enjoying all of the boyz in their 50th.

15. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Unless the band is able to produce a fresh transfer from a reel-to-reel source (8 July 1978, for example), the source is compromised due to the copy available being a DAT transfer. On a good system the difference between new, high resolution transfers, and older DAT transfers is obvious, and the comparison odious.

As noted above the band is attempting to regain ownership/control of out-of-value sources, and hopefully they will. Perhaps in due time Lemieux will, properly, wax poetic about April '78 the way he currently drones on about May of '77.

Crispy Rob, budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  16. Black Widow

Some of those 76 shows are painfully sloooow. Too many ludes before the gig? Or perhaps too much heroin?

Clearly they didn't snort enough coke! :winkgrin:

budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  17. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yeah, I have to say I wasn't going to show after show in '89 and '90 saying "Time for another sub par performance from a band way past its prime. Maybe I should stay home and listen to some '72."

WiseJake237 likes this.
  18. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

89 & 90 are A golden age, not THE golden age. Plus I think Jerry had already done serious damage to himself by 1990. It is difficult to imagine him being around now.

I just received a somewhat used copy of Dick's Picks 2 today, so I'm streaming everything before Dark Star tonight, then throwing this on. Do the tighten up. Then I have to go back and stream the last song. Weird. They should consider whole show reissues of some of these compiled Picks. The first 8, and others like 31 would certainly sell. I'd be in, probably for all of them. Dick's Pick 31 would make a nice little box set.

There are two new copies of Dick's 30 (3/25/72 & 3/28/72) at Amazon Marketplace for about $45. Or at least there were a day or two ago.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    WiseJake237 likes this.
  19. warewolf95

It's weird though as wasn't a slow show. It was just extremely bland. Like it literally had no character and they were just killing time until the next gig. Played great, a killer selection of songs for '76, but it was just.... lacking. :p

Now I'm onto the final night of the run, 6/12 and the opening Samson sounds promising, if still a bit lukewarm.

Also, anyone know if the FM is the only SBD we have available for the gig? That's all that shows up on the archive.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Apparently there is one in the vault since there have been several songs shared on the Taper's Section, but I don't know of a non-FM SBD in circulation.

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. warewolf95

Thanks. In regards to the Tapers Section, those are just straight "rips" without any mastering or anything, right?

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Not sure. I would guess little or no mastering considering the quantity of material they've shared there.

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. warewolf95

I've stumbled upon a "random" show in my collection that I have no memory of downloading - 6/23/88

Aside from Believe It Or Not being played, is there anything of importance about this show that might've made me DL it a long time ago? :)

24. warewolf95

6/12/76 - Boston

AKA

"'76 Hell"

I'm a '76 advocate and fan but man, this show.... *yawn*. SEVEN ballads?! On top of your usual '76 lethargy.

Row Jimmy is the ultimate secret assassin in this era. :)

25. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

My intro to 76 was a series of Betty Boards that went around on a tape tree in the late 1990s. I'm pretty sure June. I found them quite dull and have never really warmed up to 1976 since.

ducksdeluxe and warewolf95 like this.