Was Pete Best really that bad of a drummer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RichieSnare, Mar 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

He was the Walrus.

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Opposition is futile. He's the Supreme Court of Beatle theorists, undoubtedly rendering his judgments on history from the bedroom of his parents' house.
    "Mom! I want some meatloaf!"

Aftermath likes this.
  3. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Bill, THAT was really funny. If he eats all his meatloaf, he gets scones for desert. ..

Bill likes this.
  4. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

If they had thought Pete was "lousy" at that point, he never would have gone to EMI. George Martin's comments meant very little (if anything). The recording contract would have to have been the impetus there.

5. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

6. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

7. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

i presume there is a conspiracy theory in there, maybe you could remind me save me going back over the whole thread ?

8. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Well, at least the Fabs did the right thing by including Pete as one of the interviewees in the Anthology TV series. I know, they were obliged to because not including him would have made them look extremely petty for excluding him. Wait - they didn't include him???

Upsiditus and ajsmith like this.
  9. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

Here are some reasons to be skeptical of "Pete's paternal grandfather's medals story." Lennon and Mona Best are dead. There is no mention of this in either of Best's first 2 autobiographies. There is no mention of this in the liner notes of the 2009 Sgt. Pepper CD. There is no mention of this in Sgt. Pepper and the Beatles. I have looked through many biographies of John Lennon and never seen this story. John Lennon's first wife wrote an autobiography and there is no mention of it in there either. Considering Pete still lived with his mother, it would seem if Lennon called the house, he would have wanted to speak to Pete directly. He didn't do this. Also, if he wanted to honor Pete, he would have used something of Pete's not some ancestor Lennon never met. I don't believe this story, despite whatever Pete Best has claimed.

10. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

I believe you have that backwards.

11. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

i am sceptical too - there have been many rows about this already, I believe that PB claims John spoke to Mona so my beef is that it is at best a second hand conversation that could have been misinterpreted over time.

Upsiditus likes this.
  12. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

It's very interesting. Much has been said about how Pete Best "never smiled" etc. However, if you look at these publicity photos taken just after Ringo joined, it's George who doesn't smile and looks very unhappy, certainly some of this had to do with his black eye, but it still seems rather odd.

13. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

? There aren't any. The earliest recording of Ringo on drums is Some Other Guy from August 1962, very soon after joining the Beatles.

alexpop likes this.
  14. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

Yes, it is a very good book.

alexpop likes this.
  15. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

Rory wanted Pete, but Pete turned Rory down.

16. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

Brian Epstein was integral to the Beatles success.

17. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

Pete Best has zero acting ability, so movies would not have worked with him. He probably would have been like Lenny Davidson in Having a Wild Weekend and had no lines. I completely disagree about the press conferences though. I think he would have been quite funny there.

18. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

No, the Dave Clark 5 not only made great music, but even sold a large number of records despite having a terrible drummer.

19. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

He's looking at his drums.

20. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

Yes. Please note he didn't try firing the drummer, despite the certainty of many that he was "lousy."

21. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

I recommend taking another listen. This time though, make sure your speakers are turned on.

22. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

Pete Best maintains no studio drummer was used on any Pete Best Combo recordings. Producer Bob Gallo wrote in the 1990s, long after there would have been any need to hide "the truth" that Pete was a great drummer and great to work with. There were no studio drummers used on Pete Best Combo recordings-Pete Best carried his own.

23. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Instead of carpet-bombing this thread with your witty rejoinders, why not just use the +Quote feature?

somnar and Aftermath like this.
  24. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

Well, according to you, he's an accomplished liar, what with that whole business with the medals.

ajsmith and somnar like this.
  25. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident

That video is garbage. None of the Beatles ever told Best "either improve your drumming or we are going to throw you out." The Polydor session is misrepresented here. Best was not told not to play the bass drum because he was a terrible drummer. I would like an explanation for why Tony Sheridan felt a need to play drums with "the world's biggest loser," over 40 years after the fact. Sheridan must have still been upset over getting beaten up by Best back in 1961.

ajsmith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.