Beatles Mono VINYL box set (Part #16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Nov 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

That first run of Boston Symphony Orchestra recordings, early 1970's. Highlight has to be the Michael Tilson Thomas recording of Tchaikovsky's first symphony:

[​IMG]

Only a few. Decca's back catalog would be more deserving, RCA/Mercury/Decca are the primary sources for most of the big-end Vinyl reissues.

Easy-E likes this.
  2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Oh, I'm just expressing surprise at the apparent lukewarm attitude to DG, whose pressings I've always admired. Decca are of course wonderful.

Easy-E and Robin L like this.
  3. HappyCycler

HappyCycler Forum Resident

Which inner sleeves are these? Is it the ones which ask you to use a particular product to care for your records? I cannot remember the name currently.

4. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes. The ones with the EMITEX logo. There were two types throughout the Beatles' early run. With a little patience I was able to source them easily and cheaply and as obsessive as it may be, it makes them simply look fab, when you withdraw the record to play.

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

DGG's vinyl is consistently great. A lot of their tube-era productions are wonderful. Post 1970, the tonemeisters were either getting instructions from the Generalmusikdirector to mach schau with rock 'n' roll styled recording and mixing or were taking year-long E-ticket rides courtesy of Sandoz.

And before derailing this thread, let me note that my set of Beatles Mono LPs have surfaces about as good as any I've encountered from a German pressing plant.

6. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Mine too. This thread moved me to play "A Hard Day's Night" today and it was sublime. Noticeable too was how much better Side Two was than Side One.

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  7. HappyCycler

HappyCycler Forum Resident

How significantly different is the playback of the LP with a dedicated mono cart? With my stereo cart it seems fine, but I worry that I am missing that "true mono" presentation.

8. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

I do look forward to getting the mono LP box at some point. My main motivation for getting it -- since I'm not a vinyl fetishist and don't have great gear -- is because I have never (brace yourselves) owned any of the original British LPs! I was raised on the U.S. Capitol LPs, transitioned to the 1987 CDs, and never felt like paying the prices that good UK mono vinyl commanded. This box will someday fill that terrible void in my collection...

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Don't worry. You're not losing anything. Save your $$$$

e.s., HappyCycler, Clanceman and 2 others like this.
  10. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I listened to the entire set again recently and it is still stunning how great and flawless it is. There is nothing that equals it.

11. G E

G E Senior Member

When I finally land a keepable set my plan is to clean all the LPs and put them in generic white jackets tagg d with album name. Original covers and slips will go in the keeper box and put on display with the t-shirt.

12. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

If your system has a mono switch, you should be fine.

Bob M. likes this.
  13. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Agreed, the only additional help would be if the vinyl was noisy, it would be less so from what I understand about these things. Since these are new lps that shouldn't be an issue.

14. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

The cutter was stereo so the groove dimensions are same unlike *most* mono originals of the period so just sum to mono if you want to be *any* odd 'pop' is centred.
    Who needs this newfangled stereo?:hide:

;)

15. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Are you going to listen to them as well? :laugh:

Mazzy likes this.
  17. Reader

Reader Senior Member

That's a daily deal only good for a few more hours. When I clicked on the above link it takes me to the U.S. Amazon listing but if you go to Canada's Amazon site it does show this deal. A great price. With shipping (U.S. Prime doesn't transfer to other Amazons) it should be about $200.00. Almost the best I've heard since this was released.

18. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

$202 U.S. dollars with the cheapest shipping. Had to grab it -- despite being massively in "music debt" thanks to Bob Dylan and Beatles 1+ -- because it's over $100 less than the normal price. Too good to pass up!

Bob M. likes this.
  19. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

@dobyblue, I thank you for posting that.

My wallet does not. heh.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  20. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

My wallet doesn't either; just pulled the trigger on amazon Canada too. Great deal. Merry Christmas to me...

21. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

Exact same boat as you. Saw the deal at the Super Deluxe website and thought about passing it up for about a minute and then hit the buy button. Hurray for us.

22. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

23. Dave_B80

Dave_B80 Forum Resident

popped on this earlier tonight....in canada it comes to $260 all in.

24. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Ok so this is unbelievable but true - Amazon sent me this boxset yesterday for FREE for being a good customer and because I had it in my wishlist!!!

Now I need a turntable - it's a thing of beauty for sure!

25. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Wow! How does one become a "good customer"?

AnalogJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.