*Justin Bieber breaks both The Beatles and Drake chart records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

2. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

No weeping here. Different generations either embrace or do not embrace music from other generations. I doubt we had newspaper headlines in the 1930s when Beethoven or Bach were outsold by Benny Goodman or Bix Beiderbecke (were they? who gives a rats a$$?). The presence or lack of presence of said headlines or music sales has no relationship to whether I like something. Being a best-selling artist is the last reason I'd like something; it just so happens that the Beatles were top sellers and I happen to like them. Your point?

Rubber65, 5-String, Bolero and 4 others like this.
  4. certain words get censored here his name should be one of them

5. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

In 40 years, will people be analyzing his studio sessions?
    Or burning them for warmth in a post-apocalyptic hell?

6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Grant likes this.
  7. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

The fact that Bieber can have 17 songs on the Hot 100 simultaneously says more about Billboard's current chart methodology and rules than it does about his popularity. Sure, he is definitely very, very hot at present, but then, if it had been possible for the Beatles (for example) to have 17+ songs on the Hot 100 at once in 1964 or 1965, I think they very possibly would have. Still, yeah. Seventeen songs on the chart (three in the Top 5). That's unbelievable.

8. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

I don't know about the dynamics of the industry, but Billboard's more relaxed chart rules of the past decade or so certainly have. Like, look at the number of hits Glee has had. The show has had 51 Top 40 hits on the Hot 100 (and I think 207 hits in total). That's a ridiculous number. But, a lot of them debuted on the chart in the Top 40 (at least), because of the show's fans downloading the latest song(s) following the screening of a new episode, and then fell off the chart the very next week. So officially, the cast of Glee is ranked as one of the top hitmakers in history on the Hot 100, but really, their songs weren't 'hits' as we know them. (Well, at least not 'hits' in my opinion).

theMess, lv70smusic and sunspot42 like this.
  9. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Well it's spelled wrong in the thread title so maybe it won't come up in a search. :D

Apparently all the album release appearances have worn him down as he's just cancelled all scheduled future appearances.

Maybe Selena Gomez just rejected him again and he's pouting and taking it out on his fans.

10. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

It's not just the dynamics of the music industry, it has a great deal to do with world population; more particularly, record-buying population. Sure, it's a landmark to surpass the Beatles, Elvis, Michael Jackson, et al., but consider that the world population in 1967 was somewhere near 3.5 billion, and the world population in 2010 was nearly double that (GeoHive, as cited from UN Dept. of Economic and Social Affairs data). The question becomes, how has the recorded or digital-buying population increased? Statistics like those presented in the OP have no real meaning without the context of their time relative to our time. And I'm not trying to defend The Beatles in any way; just asking for context.

GeoHive. 2015. Population of the entire world, yearly, 1950 - 2100: http://www.geohive.com/earth/his_history3.aspx

googlymoogly, Zeki and starduster like this.
  11. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Nothing to weep about, it is a meaningless event.

The population of the world is more than twice what it was in 1965.
    In 1965 only developed countries had things such as phonographs and television, and even some developed nations were behind in this kind of technology.
    In 1965 there was the iron curtain and a huge part of the world that didn't have access to western entertainment.

Now, with twice as many potential music fans on the planet, the internet available all over the world, and even the most impoverished of countries having access to much of the technology rich nations have, the amount of people having access to popular music is God only knows greater than it was in 1965.
    You gotta figure, the Beatles being broadcast all over the world on a TV show was a huge event, even though chances are there were far more people who had never seen a TV than there were people who actually had one.
    I seen it on a black and white TV and had only seen a color TV for the first time a year before. Transistor radios were still popular.
    Audiophile? What is that? Sounds like a bizarre sex crime of some kind.

A platinum album isn't even remotely as significant in 2015 at a time when some kid with a computer in his basement has a chance to reach the entire planet by recording a song and putting it out on the net.

Rubber65, jsayers, tim185 and 7 others like this.
  12. the word dick gets censored sometimes even if it's used in a name

13. Grant

It ticks you off, huh? :D

ARK, Nostaljack and starduster like this.
  14. motionoftheocean

not in the slightest

and I'm guessing your reasons for creating this thread are about as authentic as Bieber's Nirvana shirt

15. Grant

My reasons were to gauge this forum's reactions because of how high most of us regard The Beatles. I don't care if the reactions are negative. I expect it.

I have heard snippets of his new album, and it's pretty good. I don't think i'd buy it, but it's better than the poop he had been releasing over the years, which the Bieber says even he didn't like, and what the label made him do.

Nostaljack likes this.
  16. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident

Yes, the 50-55-year olds will.

ARK likes this.
  17. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Respect. Remarkable. If it was the Beatles/McCartney reaction would be different.

ARK and Nostaljack like this.
  18. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Surprised someone was finally able to beat Drake at his own game.

sunspot42 and zebop like this.
  19. motionoftheocean

yes, because the preponderance of the Hoffman board are Beatles fans.

do you expect a board composed almost exclusively of thirtysomething-and-up males to be champing at the bit for Justin Bieber sales figures

conversely, do you expect a cadre of 12 and 13-year old girls in the year 2015 to be teeming with excitement over Beatles news

20. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Who cares....

ARK, chilinvilin, RichardG and 3 others like this.
  21. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I thought Bieber Fieber was over ... just goes to show that this unlikeable young man has some sticking power, despite predictions and prayers to the contrary. Good for him, I guess.

22. motionoftheocean

you're the guy who just professed "respect" and proclaimed Bieber "remarkable." a bit late for that tack, bro.

Raunchnroll likes this.
  23. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Its very weird people compare the pop culture & biz of today to that of half a century ago.

Heavy Music, bdfin, theMess and 4 others like this.
  24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Who is Drake?

Jimmy B. likes this.
  25. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

The most successful Hip-Hop artist of the last 7 years. The man with the Midas touch.

Joshua277456 and Moonbeam Skies like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.