Neil Young Archives Release Blue Note Cafe Out 11/13/15 Via Reprise Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FrankieFontaine, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

I had some blank 12" outer sleeves laying around, and putting each LP into those really helped get rid of negative space (even though, this box is so weirdly huge there still is about half an inch on either side). I think just plain black jackets for each LP would've tremendously helped overall presentation. The box's size essentially requires it just so it doesn't flop around. I just don't know who looked at the packaging for this LP and said "Yes, this works, ship it out". Bah, it is what it is I suppose. Just wish I knew the US/EU editions were the same pressing/packaging despite the US edition being 40 dollars more. at 50 dollars MSRP I could live with the problems and with how much they cheaped out. Not so much at 90 USD.

2. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

After a week, still enjoying this one a lot, although the blues-y stuff quickly loses my interest (I'm thinking of Soul of a Woman, Fool For Your Love, etc). And, the version of Tonight's the Night on this is just tedious! The horns just seem so out of place on this song, it's supposed to be anguished but with the horns that feeling is lost. Not a great addition.
    Although I prefer the studio version of Ordinary People, the one on this release is good, but I miss the deranged soloing Neil does on Chrome Dreams 2.

SteveM and Heart of Gold like this.
  3. HoratioNelson

HoratioNelson Member

Yes, as good as the live version is, Neil's guitar playing on the studio version of Ordinary People is clearly in a different class. The cranked-up amplifier tone he uses is more suited to the song. The thin, sparse sound on Bluenote Cafe version really struggles to slice through the barrage of horns. The vocal is also more dynamic and impassioned on the studio take.

I respectfully disagree about the other songs though, particularly Tonight's The Night. The way the song lunges from eery, alone-in-the-middle of-the-desert guitar playing at 6:30 to full-on chaotic assault a few seconds later is sublime; a fitting soundtrack to "late at night when the people were gone, he used to pick up my guitar". Those parts are a celebration of Bruce Berry's life, not his death.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  4. Just because something isn't perfect you don't have to swing to the complete other side of the spectrum.

5. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

Maybe you can help me with one more thing: in the capitalization rules, the word "so" should only be capitalized if folowed by an adverb. So, in a song title like "I Need You So Bad", the word "so" should be capitalized or not? If you could give an example of a title where the word "so" should not be capitalized and one where it should, i'll be very thankful.

6. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the Bluenote Café release, but now i'm listening to the audience recordings of August 18 and August 27, and they're much better! Not the sound quality though.

7. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

8. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Praise for the Bluenotes audience tapes is why I think that if there is ever a release of the Bottom Line show 5/16/74, it will be the audience tape, even in the unlikely circumstance that a soundboard recording was made.

9. I'd say that Ordinary People is far better on CDII, the version on Bluenote Cafe is quite poor in comparison.

Yes, Tonight's The Night is also extremely TEDIOUS! The blues-y stuff is a little retrograde and hackneyed, ideal fair for a Jools Holland hootenany according to one critic. Listening through the whole thing again has made me change my mind about it. The album as planned in 1988 was trumpeted by some as being a serious return to form with amazing new songs like Ordinary People being viewed as Young's all-time best. Even if that were true the superior versions of all these songs have now appeared on studio albums over the years. What's left is largely trite and pedestrian blues/rock. Maybe they should have released it back in 1988 after all? I think its impact would have been much bigger.

As it stands this album is now at the bottom of my NY APS series releases. I doubt I'll be spinning this again any day soon. The sound quality is awful to boot.

GregK likes this.
  10. cookstown

cookstown Forum Resident

I suppose everyone has a different perspective. When I heard that this was going to be a 4LP boxset I thought there's no way I'm going to be able to afford that! However by using standard weight records & no fancy packaging(although the box is a thing of beauty) the cost seems to be good value. This way more people/fans can enjoy the vinyl without having to remortgage and surely its the music that's important " because sound matters"?

mick_sh and Nielsoe like this.
  11. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Sounds great to me.

laf848, elgoodo, rstamberg and 5 others like this.
  12. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Neil is always capable of dividing fans - this is by far my favourite Performance Series release. Bring on the crazy weirdness of 'Welcome To The Big Room'. Neil's songwriting at this time was bizarre - just imagine hearing these songs for the first time. Rarely since has Neil Young been able to drop new songs this intriguing into his live shows in this quantity. I agree maybe it should've been released in 1988 instead of the studio 'This Notes For You' which somehow sterilised the sound and feel of the band a bit too much.
    I hope we see a 'Trans' era release with live versions of 'Computer Age' and so on next.

13. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Interesting to note that 'Bad News' (or 'Bad News Has Come To Town' as it's listed) is also a 'Homegrown' 1974-5 era song...I bet the studio recording sounds nothing like it's Bluenote incarnation...

qtrules likes this.
  14. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I love Bluenote Café. IMHO, the sound quality is fantastic. After Massey Hall, it's my favorite NYA PS release so far.

15. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

As cookstown said, I suppose everyone has a different perspective. I heard Ordinary People from concert tapes long before Chrome Dreams 2. When I got at album I found OP had lost some spark from the live versions, probably played it no more than twice and have alwas gone to a live version to hear the song.

16. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

Just received the vinyl box. It is unfortunate that the box is so oversized but my recently acquired 4 LP Rolling Stones 'From the Vault Live at Tokyo Dome' fits nicely in it so I'm saving some space I suppose. Also of note - first time I've seen a box with no identifiers [ Artist/Title] on any of the sides.

17. frogfog

frogfog Zappaddict

My vinyl set was ordered from Amazon.uk and I got the first cover from the top. What about you?

18. John D.

John D. Senior Member

How many editions of this box set are available? I got mine a couple of days ago from POPMART and it was #271
    I was expecting a much higher number coming from there and weeks after the first wave of people receiving them.

19. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

CD version, matches #4.

20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

same here, from amazon.de

frogfog likes this.
  21. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

My vinyl box just came from amazon.de, can I download the autorip if I change my country setting? Will I be able to change back to the USA afterwards?
    Is there a thread that answers this question, don't want to derail this one?

22. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

My vinyl copy arrived today from Amazon.de. Outside box which was too big for the set was beat to hell but no damage to the actual box set. I'll second what others have said about the packaging and sleeves. Not the most impressive. Sounds great so far. I got number 7239. Not too bad for under $45 including shipping.

23. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Received mine saturday and listened to it all through (except Tonight's...) and I must say I think this is a blast even if this isn't my favourite period of his. Great sound and great performances. Regarding the packaging and cover design (and overall quality) I must say I much prefer this level if it means that future Young releases will keep this price level. Great sound, nice enough packaging, low price. What more do you want?

qtrules likes this.
  24. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Also ordered from A-uk, apparently shipped from Germany. Arrived trashed, outer box torn open, wet from rain and then re-covered by the USPS with plastic wrap. The lp box itself was crushed and shredded along one side. Sent back, replacement on the way.

Nielsoe likes this.
  25. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Bummer. I always worry about buying vinyl especially box sets from overseas. I've been extremely lucky over the years having several look like they were kicked all the way here but nothing's ever been damaged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.