Kings of Leon vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by careybsn, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I wondered this aswell...i got the Bellman cuts cos i ordered from a US seller. MOV sometimes uses the same stampers. If they did their own cuts, their mastering isnt normally quite up to the guys at Bernie Grundman mastering..i find it very hit and miss!

2. MartinWarrilow

MartinWarrilow Forum Resident

I am trying to find out if the MOV boxset is identical to the Sony/Legacy boxset. Not having had much success i emailed Music on Vinyl and this was their response.

"I really can’t tell, haven’t seen the Sony/legacy box, but the differences should be very minimal (if there are any)
    One was produced & manufactured in the Europe, and the other in the US, that would be the main difference I guess.
    All the best

Music on Vinyl"

Can anyone elaborate further? For me the Sony/Legacy boxset is much much cheaper, and i only want to purchase it if it is on par with the MOV boxset.

3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

You need to ask them if the Music on Vinyl has the CB in the deadwax...

These CB recut ones are very worthwhile picking up....

4. MartinWarrilow

If the Sony/Legacy by Bellman are decent i may just get these. However, i'll still try and find out about the MOV mastering.

richbdd01 likes this.
  5. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Also i had the clear 2x 10" vinyl first issue of Aha Shake Heartbreak and the CB version kills that one....a case where the first issue certainly isnt the best!

6. MartinWarrilow

I've had another reply from Music on Vinyl

"Hi Martin
    Yep, The CB is in the deadwax.
    All the best
    Michiel"

So i think we can safely assume that both the MOV and The Sony/Legacy are the Chris Bellman masters, and should be identical.

7. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

But please don't forget that there are earlier KoL pressings by MoV. My "Youth" from 2010 doesn't have "CB" anywhere:)

8. MartinWarrilow

Yes, I agree... i have a copy of the 2010 MOV (non gatefold 2LP) and it doesn't have CB in the dead wax.

The 2011 MOV appears to be a different mastering, also used for the Sony/Legacy and has CB in the dead wax.

9. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

So there are MOV pressings of "Youth" with and without gatefold? Strange times when a label like Music On Vinyl suddenly has different pressings of the same album;);)

10. MartinWarrilow

The one i currently own is non-gatefold and has printed inner sleeves.

I've just ordered the Legacy/Sony box set...and they are gatefold, same for the MOV.

I'm just looking forward to increase in sound quality, i have the 10" Clear Aha Shake Heartbreak, and the Red Because of the Times....and the sound isn't great on these pressings.

11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

When are these guys going to put out a Greatest Hits disc?

12. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

It deserves to be shared here that you can get the KoL early vinyl box for $19.99 shipped...

Kings Of Leon - Early Albums Box [Vinyl New] »

Take another 25% off if you put together a $40 order. Stunning deal.

The following is taken from my first impression about this box that I posted elsewhere...

I need to chime in on the Kings of Leon early years vinyl box. This bad boy is still priced at $19.99 shipped and I'll be darned if it isn't going to be one of my cherished and go-to finds. Upon arrival on Saturday, I gave the first LP a spin, Youth and Young Manhood. How amazingly cool of an album. Dirty & sweaty rock and roll skillfully presented in terms of both songs and execution. I'm on the second album now, Aha Shake Heartbreak. A bit more muted but no less enjoyable. This is NOT the "southern-country-rawk" that was erroneously conveyed to me prior to KoL opening up for U2. These guys are a force to be reckoned with and I'm glad that I am now able to call myself a fan.

And the booklet inside puts these compositions into context which only heightens one's appreciation. I cannot recommend this box enough at any price, let alone for $19.99 for as long as this deal might last.

Preston and richbdd01 like this.
  13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Hopefully never...i hate best of compilations! Much prefer to listen to studio albums. If you want a compilation, why not do your own? They are only cash-ins anyway largely...

14. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Thats a great set, the LPs sound fantastic. Sound analog to me and cut by Chris Bellman...

Preston likes this.
  15. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

That is a stunningly good deal: ordered! Thanks for the tip!

16. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey Forum Resident

Just ordered the Legacy edition of the Early Years boxset on the basis of how good the MOV 2 LP reissue of Y&YM sounds.

17. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Out of interest, does the MoV have CB in the deadwax?

18. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey Forum Resident

Yes it does.

richbdd01 likes this.
  19. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Cool, yeah theyre great cuts by Chris Bellman. I think the most impressive improvement and best sounding on my setup is Because of the times...

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Great box, but so much for the 3250 copy limited edition they originally announced:

[​IMG]

21. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

+1 The CB cuts KILL the one-LP versions I have. Such a huge improvement!

richbdd01 likes this.
  22. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I bought Aha Shake Heartbreak original 10 inch copy when i first got into vinyl, thinking the first issue would be best....that was a terrible sounding record. I think these CB cuts are by far the best way to listen to these first three records...

Preston likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.