Monarch Delta Numbers for LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Frank Daniels, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Frank Daniels

Frank Daniels Forum Resident Thread Starter

The Monarch number would date the Ryder (Detroit) album to November, 1971. Billboard first mentions it on 11/20/71. Yep...it fits.

The Fleetwood Mac album was pressed by (you guessed it) Goldisc. WB didn't have their own pressing plants. That's a second pressing of the album -- the first being numbered MS 2225.
    The Monarch number dates to 1976, but I'm not sure the album came out with the new number until 1977.

2. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Fever Tree, Another Place Another Time, Uni 73040, delta 12706

3. Frank Daniels

Does your copy have 12706 on both sides?
    The copy I have recorded on the list has 12663 on one side.

4. narkspud

narkspud Forum Resident

Ooh, this gonna be good!

5. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I <think> it did match on both sides but I will have to doublecheck ... I posted that one on the fly the other night so I don't completely remember if I confirmed side two matched. I'll try and remember to check that and the weird Stones record tonight.

6. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

Rush ‎– Hemispheres
    Mercury ‎– SRM-1-3743, 1978

Masterdisk G.K. x 2, Monarch pressing, ∆23882

7. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

@Frank Daniels ... this copy of Fever Tree does have 12706 on both sides. I suspect it's a bit later pressing, the Uni stamper codes are T11 on both sides (it would typically start at T1 with their codes, for example). I'm surprised this album would have sold enough to go through that many stampers.

OK. The Stones thing is a copy of "The Greatest Group on Earth" on "Lurch Records". Red labels, actually gives the song titles on each label. No cover was with this copy. In the deadwax on side one (all hand etched): a triangle with a line thru it, and 14328, followed by a 1 in a circle; side two, the triangle with the line through it, 14327 and a 2 in a circle. (there's some other hand etched numbers as well before the delta on each side).

The numbers seem about right for when this would have been pressed, but I'm not so sure the record itself is from the Monarch plant. The pressing ring on the labels, for example, is in about the right place but is a deep groove rather than the usual neat line on the label of a late '60s Monarch. That being said, comparing the handwriting to the Fever Tree disc, the '2' on both looks to be from the same hand -- it has that distinctive hitch in the bottom of the '2' you see often in Monarch delta numbers.

8. Frank Daniels

The numbering isn't right to be a Monarch number. I looked up what the other markings are, and apparently both sides have X's. Also, the numbers continued from
    pressing to pressing to pressing. I have been told that they did press some copies of "Great White Wonder" (Dylan), but I haven't seen any boots made by Monarch.
    They really didn't want to be involved in any shady business because all the major labels used them.

9. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Leslie Uggams - What's an Uggams?
    Atlantic 8196
    promo only mono release (in a stereo sleeve)
    delta 12269

10. Frank Daniels

Good catch. Those mono promos are tough. Dot and Atlantic made a bunch of them, and quite a few are probably Monarchs.

11. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Here's another one I just found today:

Red White & Blue (Grass) - Pickin' Up
    GRC GA-10003
    Delta 19106

12. Frank Daniels

13. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

I suspect it's the bootleggers trying to make it appear to have been a Monarch pressing, for whatever reason.

14. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

For The Young Rascals' Groovin' (mono Δ10803, stereo Δ10812, both already on the list), the month fits: this link indicates the release date to be July 31, 1967.

15. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

Got one that I don't see on the list:

"Presence" - Led Zeppelin - Delta 20483/20483X

16. Frank Daniels

We have it now, Bob. Thanks!

17. narkspud

narkspud Forum Resident

I know some other pressing plants that that didn't stop them. :) It never ceased to amaze me that nobody at the FBI (or RIAA or wherever) ever seemed to figure out how to spot the work of certain pressing plants by the profiles and other "quirks". (Cough-cough-Rainbo-cough-PeterPan-sniff.)

I suspect that many boots were pressed without upper management at the plant being aware of it. I also suspect that any boots that came out of Monarch (if such there be) would not have any delta numbers or MRs. (For one thing, an under-the-table project wouldn't have a PO assigned to it, so there wouldn't be a delta number to give it.)

I've never seen a boot that struck me as particularly Monarch-y, but nearly all my boots are East Coast, so what do I know?

18. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

@narkspud ... yeah, this is the only one I've seen that seemed to be Monarch-y.

Don Preston, Bluse, A&M SP-4155, delta 12257

19. narkspud

narkspud Forum Resident

Continuing the talk of Monarch-y bootlegs, just thought I'd chime in and note my copy of TAKRL 2927, an Elton John boot helpfully titled "(no title)", looks Monarch-y as hell. Obviously no identifying marks, so I couldn't swear to it, but the profile is exactly right.

It's this one,
    https://theamazingkornyfonelabel.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/2927-elton-john-no-title/
    except that it has the "proper" TAKRL label, with the cartoon guy in the headphones (like this http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=941189 )

20. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Several L.A. area pressing plants - not just Monarch - had a pressing ring diameter of 2.875". So those boots' mentioned may've been pressed by one of those "other" plants. That explains why they may be Monarch-y. Other plants I know of that had that attribute (though I doubt any of them would have pressed those) included: Rainbo, Research Craft, Fidelatone, Century, United/Superior, and H.V. Waddell.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  21. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

would it be possible to have a link to the updated master list in real time attached to posts by Frank Daniels?

22. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

I just picked up a Fleetwood Mac - Rumours. Palm tree label. Has a sideways delta 22664 (F42). And same sideways delta 22664-x (F41). No MR that I can see though.

I've been told this is indeed a Monarch. Some have sold on EBay as such. I did a search on this thread for Rumours and also 22664 and didn't find either. Surprising if this is indeed a Monarch that it hasn't been posted here yet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  23. Frank Daniels

Cardanken likes this.
  24. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

thanks for the link FD !

Jimmy Hughes-Steal Away-Vee Jay VJLP-1102 delta 6841

25. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Art Pepper Quintet, Smack Up, Contemporary S7602 (stereo), delta 18533