Adele- 25 album news and information

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

But why would a woman singing ballads in a theatrical style be "adventurous" to a young person? That's hardly new.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Sure it is if you're a teenager who's only grown up listening to a very limited selection of music done in one or two different genres. You forget how musically sheltered a lot of kids are.

3. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Apologises, I am viewing from a phone so just skimming the posts. But to be fair these threads are not usually light hearted ;)

4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

She's actually big on college radio, I think because she toured them early in her career and they're still grateful:)
    Don't for a minute think my excitement over her sales matters a lick if I didn't think the quality was there. I'd trash it in a minute if I didn't think it was good regardless of its sales. As I've said elsewhere, she's about as Alternative as it gets. Nobody stands in her class currently and she's about far, far more than just ballads.
    She's a musician breathing rarified air, and people of all ages and cultures are 'getting it' on a big level.
    You can hear Adele rock out with Jack White and the Raconteurs on Many shades of black, it's on you tube.
    She has an insane ability to sound Country Western, Gospel, R&B, Bluesy Jazzy and more, sometimes within the space of a single song.
    For some people who've never heard her style, she might just come across like a revelation.

alan967tiger likes this.
  5. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Are these numbers official?

BUILDING ALBUM SALES CHART
    UPDATED PERIODICALLY ON FRIDAYS
    Chart Date: 11/27/2015
    Last Updated: 11/24/2015 18:02:50
    LW TW Artist / Album Label Sales Index
    ADELE
    XL/COLUMBIA 2,518,177

http://hitsdailydouble.com/building_album_chart

6. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

that sounds about right, with a couple more days to go!

7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

hitsdailydouble is VERY reliable. Their numbers differ ever so slightly from Billboard, but they're an excellent gauge.

8. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The Nielsen Soundscan only goes back to 1991. How much did The Beatles, Michael Jackson etc. sell back in the day? Do these numbers exist?

9. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

They do not.

10. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  11. segue

bartels76 and D-rock like this.
  12. segue

13. ChrisEfterklang

ChrisEfterklang Forum Resident

Adele's appeal can be explained I think mostly because her sound sticks out amongst all the electronic, dancey stuff dominating radio / charts / online channels etc. Plus her songs really seem to touch on some very universal themes, just watch the Royal Albert Hall show and you'll notice that her audience is genuinely moved and touched by her songs. Also, her music crosses generations where whole families can share and enjoy her.

Thom, alan967tiger and bartels76 like this.
  14. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

I cannot see the appeal, quite honestly. She's OK but it sounds to me that she's always on overloud mode, at least the few songs I've heard.

-Richard

15. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Haha, no worries, that's true.

bob60 likes this.
  16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Although I'm not a fan of the music, I can appreciate her talent and I can understand the appeal. I just don't relate to it on an emotional level like so many others do.

If you really want to hear someone on overloud mode, have a listen to Florence and The Machine. I listened to a track last year I can still hear her yelling the lyrics at me!

BTW, whats the verdict on the SQ of this release. A friend who bought it, audiophile type, didn't like it and thought the mastering was worse than her previous releases.

17. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It's about the same as the last one. I'll get it on vinyl eventually.

18. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

on classroom instuments:)
    so good it could have it's own thread. Should be released as a remix LOL

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    realkilroy likes this.
  19. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

This is an interesting take. I don't think of her as alternative, although I have to admit that I've only heard a fraction of her material. She certainly is different from the average pop star though.

20. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

The best-selling singer in the world is the antithesis of "Alternative". She's as mainstream as it gets and is working in a well-established style.

goodiesguy and JDeanB like this.
  21. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Adele was considered an alternative artist until Rolling In the Deep blew up. It took a bit for the song to hit Top 40 radio. Now she is a pop artist for sure.

troggy likes this.
  22. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Well, this is what I think too. Being mainsteam isn't necessarily a bad thing but I wouldn't put the alternative tag on her.

23. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I think her commercial success is not only determined by her music but also her persona.

She's a good singer, has decent songs (2 or 3 good ones per album) and most importantly her music and her image appeal to music buyers of all ages. She's just 25 (only 2 years older than Miley Cyrus) but comes cover as a very mature and intelligent woman. Even a 50 year old can admit to his friends that he likes Adele.

She also didn't make the error of making too many albums or tours or wanting to be in the news all the time, which would risk getting people fed up with her quickly.

24. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

yes, methinks I must explain myself:)
    Let's look at what 'Alternative' means. Is it really only avant rock artists with weird voices and time signatures? I think not. Alternative in my view is that which separates itself from the pop mainstream.
    If you think about it, even though she's 'pop' as in POPULAR, sure! she's pop. I believe while her style is a throwback, who is really doing that today with such mass appeal? To establish so much with just 3 lps is something for the history books. She's an Alternative to the pop attitude.

bartels76 likes this.
  25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I see your point and would agree that she's different from the current pop "attitude". Still, I think she's very mainstream. Her music has very broad appeal.

I've had this kind of discussion before surrounding a record like Dark Side of The Moon. I once told someone that I'm not a fan of the album and they told me to "think outside the box". I responded that Dark Side of the Moon is one of the best selling, most mainstream records of all time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.