Warner Bros., M-G-M, Terrytoons, Paramount, Disney, Lantz Animators identified by scene breakdowns

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by indy mike, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Which cels/scenes do you have?

2. indy mike

Mister Charlie likes this.
  3. indy mike

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I haven't seen that cartoon since I was in first grade, yikes.

5. indy mike

6. indy mike

7. indy mike

8. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, Mike.

9. indy mike

Always fun when Stan Freberg did voicework at Warner Bros.

10. indy mike

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  11. indy mike

12. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, Indy Mike!

13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Thanks Indy Mike!

A few days ago I was watching a two-DVD WB collection that I found for $2 at the thrift store, and "Daffy's Duck Hunt" was the first cartoon I wanted to watch. It made me realize that many lines that I use in life are from WB cartoons, including this one. I cracked up when Daffy said "Be careful of those fangs, Lassie. I bruise like a grape." I always make sure to give it extra saliva when I say it.

[​IMG]

McLover and Steve Hoffman like this.
  14. indy mike

Awesome post today - the finest Woody Woodpecker cartoon gets the treatment today: Shamus Culhane mans the controls for The Barber of Seville, an action packed short with topnotch animation from Emery Hawkins and Pat Mathews working at Walter Lantz' studio:
    http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/walter-lantz-the-barber-of-seville-1945/

Super fast cuts in this one - Tex Avery's fast-faster-faster approach to cartoons pushed the animation pedal to the metal, and Walter Lantz' studio showed they could do some great animation with the right people working on the shorts (Culhane/Hawkins/Mathews/Dick Lundy/LaVerne Harding/Fred Moore)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    stereoptic likes this.
  15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I don't know any of the behind the scenes details, but Hannah Barbara got terrible starting in the early 70s. It's worth getting Pussycats in Outer Space just to laugh at the animation.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, some of those were beyond terrible. In fairness to them, they were still trying to do the animation, backgrounds, and plate camera work in LA, and the shows were the best they could do with the budgets they had. Eventually, it all shifted to Asia, and some of the animation quality got better. But the stories were all over the place.

I won't name the company, but there was a 1980s animation studio I worked for where the boss told me at one point, "hey, we're not saying our shows are fine art, but at least we're employing 90 people a week." So they were doing the best they could to make the network happy and keeping people employed.

McLover and seed_drill like this.
  17. indy mike

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for that. I had completely forgot about Alias St. Nick

19. Steve Hoffman

That SANTA'S WORKSHOP is a sweet little cartoon. Animated 83 years ago, the soundtrack is clear as a bell, uncanny.

20. Reader

Reader Senior Member

indy mike, Thanks for all these. They are all fun to watch and I'm amazed at how beautiful some of them are. One of my favorites that I hope will have a complete set released one of these days are the Scrappy cartoons done by Columbia. Great films which deserve to be seen by many more people.

21. indy mike

stereoptic likes this.
  22. indy mike

The Columbia Pictures catalog is a tough sell - they never had a breakout series (The Fox and Crow shorts are well animated and have a number of funny moments, but they never caught on in the way Mickey/Donald/Bugs/Tom and Jerry/Popeye/Woody Woodpecker/Mighty Mouse did). The later UPA cartoons that weren't done in-house by a Columbia owned studio drew critical acclaim for their graphically oriented approach to animation, and Mr. Magoo finally gave Columbia a character that could be merchandised; the Magoo theatrical shorts have been released on dvd, and the non-Magoo shorts have also been available on dvd for a couple years, but they've never been aired on television consistently. The Columbia Pictures in-house cartoons made before UPA began providing cartoons to Columbia have never been shown consistently - they're inconsistent in a lot of ways, and their low budgets kept them in the lower tier of animation providers.

23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I love the old Warner Bros. cartoons and this thread is great!

I realize that this isn't related to the topic at hand, but, being that this is "The Steve Hoffman Music Forums", I wanted to be sure that all of you animation fans have seen this great "short" from earlier this year, called "A Single Life" …

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  24. indy mike

Disney strikes with an excellent/action packed masterpiece Hockey Homicide:
    http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/disneys-hockey-homicide-1945/

The influence of Tex Avery's Warner Bros. and MGM warp speed animation worked its way to Disney; Goofy seems to have been the main beneficiary of the frantic animation evolution, and this is one of the best from the Mouse Factory.

25. indy mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.