Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song (1960) SACD from Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rxcory, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tornadoman140

tornadoman140 Forum Resident

I guess my takeaway review is: the AF is the best this album has sounded, at least in a digital release, anyway.

Christopher B and rxcory like this.
  2. I guess some were expecting the crystal clarity of the better AP Nat King Cole SACDs. I am very happy with how this SACD has turned out. It's the definitive statement on these Christmas songs until someone is allowed to go back and remix the entire album.

rxcory, Simon A, Kkfan and 2 others like this.
  3. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

I can't imagine it being a matter of permission as much as it being a matter of finances.

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Not sure why it would be anymore finincially difficult to remix this title than it would be sacd Nats. Have no idea, but maybe its not possible to do a remix. Hope thats not the case. Who knows.

5. AudioVinyl Newbie

AudioVinyl Newbie Forum Resident

The greedy rat - bastards at EMI / Capitol want this title all for themselves! It's an old standby cash cow that's been turning a profit for 50 years. This is only aided by frequent re-packagings and reissues that seem to grow further and further away (in both sound and cover graphics) from the original LP.

A complete audiophile-grade remix would probably "intimidate" the marketing wonks at EMI/Capitol. The so-called "suits" would be worried that the audiophile release would out-sell their inferior slapdash product!

6. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

In my opinion, this release will be a great "test" of how well an audiophile version of a Christmas album can sell in what is generally-accepted to be a short selling period. They've licensed a stone classic here. Amazon's price notwithstanding, Christmas albums are generally marketed to sell cheaply & quickly. How many copies the label moves in a couple of months will be very interesting. Yes, it could continue to sell after the season, but most will want it to enjoy this release this year.

If it's successful, I hope they will do another title or 2 next year! Dean, Frank, Bing.....

Jarleboy, rxcory, jmrife and 3 others like this.
  7. AudioVinyl Newbie

AudioVinyl Newbie Forum Resident

Same thoughts here!

Get2Me likes this.
  8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

All that said, this is certainly not the first time an audiophile label has reissued Christmas music, so there is at least a modicum of data already out there.

Charlie Brown Christmas (remixed)
    •Duke Ellington's Nutcracker (also remixed, IIRC)
    A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra (MFSL)
    Ella Wishes You a Swingin' Christmas (MFSL)

....and several others, I'd imagine.

9. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

To paraphrase Mr. McCartney....

It's Nat King Cole, it's selling, it sounds better than it ever has sounded, it's the bloody Nat King Cole Christmas album. Shut up......

aarsonbet, JAG and Kkfan like this.
  10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

This release and this one as well...

They could release one every year.

bluemooze and Get2Me like this.
  11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Just checking, the first two were vinyl only, right?

There's also the hires downloads that have come out over the past few years including the Charlie Brown and Sinatra, but also Elvis, Phil Spector, Beach Boys and others. I'd be curious to know how well they sell. I know I buy one or two this time every year.

If this became an annual tradition with AF, releasing a holiday classic SACD every November, it'd be an auto purchase for me. Even if it were not a personal favorite (which this one is).

Still waiting for tomorrow evening to spin my copy as the first listen for this season.

Get2Me and MLutthans like this.
  12. MLutthans

To my knowledge, yes.

13. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Same for me, too!

I'm a diehard Christmas music fan - especially classic Christmas albums. Here's hoping Sinatra's Jolly Christmas gets the audiophile, SACD treatment next year!

14. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

Just listened to my copy. Kind of a mixed bag, but I'm glad it wasn't too futzed with. The instruments and background vocals are okay, not great. But dang, when Nat is singing it sounds like he is right there in the room with you! Considering when this was recorded, I'm not sure a better job could have been done. Loving it!

15. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Gave it a 1st listen and it sounded consistantly excellent throughout considering the various sources. Good job Kevin.

16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

That's a good description of the sounds. The orchestral and vocal arrangements have always sounded a bit cheesy to me (except for the title track, which I presume was done separately, perhaps as a single, from the rest of the album, with a jazz combo involved). It's a bit like an old Hollywood film orchestra plays XMAS. I am accustomed to the traditional carols being given a more stately classical music type sound and arrangements, rather than these very sprite and bouncy treatments. At least they sound smoother on this disc than previous CD releases, but that's not saying much. But the voice...now that is beautiful, and sounds quite nice. Pretty obvious to me that it was recorded separately under different conditions and added to prerecorded backgrounds. Or vice-versa. Since I don't care that much for the orchestra and chorus I should have just been content with The Christmas Song as it was presented on The Nat King Cole Story. But I wanted to check it out and give it another chance.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    JamesD1957 likes this.
  17. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

There's no evidence to suggest that this was recorded any other way than SOP for the time: vocals live with the orchestra.

In fact, the only thing known to be overdubbed on this album is the piano solo on "The Christmas Song."

MLutthans and Simon A like this.
  18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Which audiophile release of this title features a remix?

19. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

OK, maybe so. I just noticed that vocals stand out from the rest of it, like they were isolated. But I suppose it could just be the way they did the microphone setup and levels, and how they mixed the album originally.

20. MLutthans

I think I may have been mistaken. For some reason, I thought @Steve Hoffman had done a remix, but that was just a brain fart going off in my head. Thanks for catching that!

21. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

That's the way I'm hearing it too. No doubt that Nat was the star of the production.

22. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

Sure, I was expecting something close to the Analogue Productions Nat King Cole SACD series, but it's not bad. It's a bit of mixed bag, but sounds better than any other copy I own on this or Magic Of Christmas albums....and yes, the vocals are a knockout on this SACD!

mmars982 likes this.
  23. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

The CD layer sounds terrific. It really does sound like he's in the room with you at certain points.

JamesD1957 likes this.
  24. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Well, I finally got my copy. And I must say I am quite pleased with it. Track one was re-mixed by Steve and Kevin from the original 3-track master and sounds gorgeous. The rest of the album is a vintage 1960 stereo mix, which sounds pretty good compared to some stereo mixes done around the same time. As far as the mastering goes, it sounds good. Very good. I compared it to my old black triangle pressing, and there is really no comparison. The Audio Fidelity pressing sounds like Nat is in my house singing for me and my family. I highly recommend this disc. Two thumbs fresh!!

mmars982 likes this.
  25. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

Finally arrived in the mail today. Prior to getting this today, the only cd I played as my go to copy
    was the 2005 release, remixed & remastered by Bob Norberg or the original 1967 LP.
    Can't wait to play this tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.