Too Much "Star Wars"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GLUDFSSR, Nov 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

to be honest I thought there has been too much SW since the debut!

Huck Caton likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

did you see the $129.00 YODA?

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Wasn't the original distribution deal with Lucas and Fox designed so George could hold on to his merchandising rights?

Star Wars and Star Wars merch have been together since the beginning of the saga...why would anybody expect it to change now?

DeeThomaz likes this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes. That was a very smart move on George's part.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/george-lucas-star-wars-288513

DeeThomaz likes this.
  5. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

Really no doubt.
    My 6 year old has already 8 toys from SW7.

Wounded Land likes this.
  6. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

I was disappointed in Avengers "Age of Ultron" and "Jurassic World" bored actually. And the last good Star Warts movie was "Return of the Jedi" in 1983. I have very low expectations for this new film. I am also certain that the lemmings who continually watch these films will open their pocketbooks and declare it is a wonderful movie and spend millions of Christmas dollars on Star Wars merchandise.

7. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

its everywhere ,you can't get away from it

8. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I basically agree about the live-action Star Wars movies ("The Clone Wars" CGI movie was pretty good though). I thought Episode 1 was okay, hated Episode 2, and thought that Episode 3 was an improvement over Episode 2. It's only the animated Star Wars features that maintained my interest in "Star Wars"

When it comes to the recent run of superhero based movies, I've basically lost interest because of the last movie I saw: Green Lantern. If it had been properly done "Green Lantern" should have rivaled "Star Wars" and "Star Trek" as a space saga, but unfortunately despite a few good moments (Mark Strong as Sinestro was great) I was left uninterested in seeing any more superhero movies (although "Suicide Squad" looks interesting enough that I might see it at a theater).

9. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

The sad thing they will have make new landfill for just this stuff alone.
    It will called the Disney dump of stars...
    Disney was whored it whole body to the public and called it Starwars
    Buy and piss off celebration. This worst product push I can remember.
    I remember the first star wars the later ones .
    This psychotic marketing at it's absolute worst. Disney, has the greed disease bad.
    I am sure there books in the works or online articles already about this..
    Been to Wal-mart seen all what others have seen...
    It's very unsettling...:rolleyes:

melstapler likes this.
  10. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

The weirdest tie-in I've seen is Star Wars lipstick and cosmetics. Yeah, use our makeup and look like an. . . Alien???

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It's sort of a tradition. We've been introduced to new characters ever since Boba Fett was part of the original Star Wars line (not completely sure if the figure pre-dated his appearance in the Holiday Special or not).

The most remarkable example of the power of the marketing of Lucasfilm is the fact that the word "Ewok" is never heard in Return of the Jedi. And yet it's instantly familiar to most every person I've ever met (aside from some very old folk). Marketing at it's finest.

Wounded Land, Piiijiii and sgtmono like this.
  12. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Agree 100%. It's a major thrill to go into a store and see racks of Star Wars stuff, it takes me right back to 1983 when I was 4 years old and buying a green lightsaber at K-mart, or gaping at the rows of action figures in Toys R Us.

I have stopped watching the actual promos for the film that have come out since the main trailer. I don't want to get oversaturated with 30-second teasers that show me more and more bits of the film. I'm ready to see the damn movie already!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

George sold it all to Disney as part of the Lucasfilm deal. That included all merchandising. It has been said before that Lucas made more money on the merchandising than he ever did on the films.

It's interesting that this week, the new Star Wars "Battlefront" video game has not done very well and is getting negative reviews...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...nt-cant-make-60-multiplayer-work-nothing-can/

That means all Star Wars merchandise isn't necessarily a slam-dunk in terms of success.

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

True. :)

15. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I love Star Wars but yeah it's becoming too saturated leading up to the first of many films, just think how bad it'll be afterwards.

Hutch likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

17. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

My local CVS is selling Darth Vader and R2D2 Christmas ornaments.

Imagine a Christmas tree with nothing but Darth Vader ornaments. :wtf:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Complier likes this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

"It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Sithmas..."

:)

19. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

;)

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

LOL! Okay, so my puns are terrible. :)

melstapler and Johnny66 like this.
  21. JimC

JimC Senior Member

22. Fixed.
    Not really a fan. Don't watch television, surf pop culture sites, etc. And yet I'm still completely fatigued by Star Wars mania. Even so, I'm excited for fans. Hopefully it's a return to form for them.

23. True. But I think the movie is probably the least way I could subject myself to the franchise!

24. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

May the Schwartz be with you.

Muzyck likes this.
  25. I'm not a fan really, but I think there's little chance it will suck. I've seen the trailer...because one of my instructors showed it in class!!! WTF?!?!?! Anyway, looked good to me. Can you imagine the imagine the fallout if this one sucked? With all the tie-ins, spin-offs and sequels already mapped out it would be the implosion of Hollywood that Speilberg and Lucas warned about.

EDIT: Correction. There's a chance it'll suck, but ZERO chance that it won't bank. And these days bank eclipses artistic indifference (see: the new Jurassic Park that no-one liked that much but everyone paid $$$ to see anyway.)

EDIT 2: And if it does suck, everyone will be in denial and pretend to like it simply to spite the previous installment it that no-one liked and wants to forget. (see: X-men DoFP vs. X-men 3/ Star Wars 2015 vs. prequel)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.