Your Preferred Way to Listen to John Lennon's Imagine?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robargebl

robargebl Forum Resident

I have an old purple label vinyl Capitol pressing from 1981 that I received on my 9th birthday. It is in decent shape still, and I prefer it to my remixed (Yoko approved) cd version. FWIW...

2. 3rd Uncle Bob

3rd Uncle Bob Forum Resident

I've taken the Yoko remixes of POB & Imagine and frowny face EQ'd them.

3. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Have you actually compared the 2010 remaster to the CD I mentioned? The Japanese CD is a different mastering than the original UK CD and does not have noise reduction on it. For more details, there are threads on the subject.

john lennonist likes this.
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No need to be snarky, I wasn't belittling you.

Okay I haven't compared this particular CD. I assumed they were the same. If you personally find it sounds better than the 2010 remaster in comparisons, that's great.

5. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I found the response "there are threads on the subject" a bit condescending. And to state "IMO the 2010 remasters easily beat the original CDs in all cases" without having heard all variations of the original CDs is not helpful. But I apologize for the tone of my response and will report once I have bought and compared the 2010 remaster to the original Japanese CD.

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

With earplugs:whistle:

7. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

No. I don't make that kind of money. Although, I somehow managed to own some pretty awesome vinyl box sets..I just can't afford to pay that much for a cd.

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It wasn't meant to be condescending, just informative. You knew but there are many new members here that don't.

I thought I heard all the original CDs variations (all NR ones and the rare couple without), but I guess there is always an esoteric Japanese variation that I didn't know about! :laugh:

John Grimes likes this.
  9. Zomvid

Zomvid Delicate Genius

Any updates on this Andreas?

10. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

This is very, very true. The remixed versions of Rock & Roll and Mind Games, in particular, are outstanding. I don't notice much in the way of mixing differences, when comparing them to the originals, but I do notice GREATLY improved clarity and slightly improved dynamics. They're essential.

Digital-G likes this.
  11. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

The 2010 remaster of Imagine beats the original CP32-5451 CD by a small margin, but it's a matter of taste. The sound is a bit clearer but also a bit brighter, and the short noise when during the intro at 0:15 is absent on the 2010 remaster which makes me believe a better source tape was found.

Zomvid likes this.
  12. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Is this the same (re)master as the Japanese platinum SHM-CD and the SHM-CD? Do you know how these sound?

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes. They are the same mastering. I only have heard the SHM-SACDs. The 2010 versions have the same master accross the board.

14. Riccardo2

Riccardo2 Forum Resident

Thank you for your very fast answer. How does the SACD sound to you?

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's the best version I have heard.

Riccardo2 and Musicisthebest like this.
  16. Can Discogs be right? I see almost 40 different CD versions & reissues/remasters!!

17. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

18. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Lately I've been enjoying the Pure Audio Blu-ray. For vinyl I usually give a 1st press US or the new remaster a spin. I'd like to pick up a nice -1U UK someday, but the new remaster isn't a bad listen until that happens.

19. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

I prefer the 2000 remix. Have the remixes been released on vinyl other than the MFSLs?

20. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Early Japan for UK CD. It has no NR, and it sounds good for me. I haven't compared with any remaster, though.

21. Addison

Addison Active Member

original UK, I don't like the overdone, glitzy remixes (few remixes aren't that, in my experience)

22. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Digital - Japan SACD

Analog - 1997 UK EMI 100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.