Cleaning records- Do you clean the brushes in between?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Romerovm, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bump. Anyone? :)

2. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Looks fine to me. I eliminate a cycle - that first rinse - but otherwise this is about where I'm at.

Bottom line is does it work for you? Does it make your records less noisy? That's the test.

Romerovm likes this.
  3. Romerovm

Romerovm Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think it does most of the time. I guess some records cannot be improved, but I guess you would have to test different fluids, techniques to determine that.

What do you think about using the vacuum first for a very dirty record? I have seen some records with so much dirt that I would be afraid of pressing the brush against it fearing some of that stuff could scratch the record. In fact Ithink this has happened to me.

4. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Talk about abrasive - a dry vacuuming. I don't like that idea at all.

I still like the technique I mentioned upthread for this. Wet down the record well. Let the record rotate under the brush. Rub the brush on your pants leg, removing fluid from it. Repeat. Use the brush to transfer the dirty fluid from the record to your pants. If rubbing the brush on your dirty pants bothers you, use a towel instead. When the record is almost dry, then vacuum it. Most of the dirt has already been removed.

Try it.

Romerovm likes this.
  5. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I just purchased the Osage brush and I'm curious what you use to clean it after the cleaning session. I'm using a mild dish soap and cleaning it under the sink. I use a toothbrush to do the scrub and use the handle of it to squeegee it during the process. I do 5 rinses and squeegee each time.

I've done similar in the past with my Disc Doctor brushes but I just used the pressure from the faucet water and no soap. I'm thinking of adding soap.

I also started using using the AI 1-step and I think I'm going to start using the Osage brush with this process. I do 1.5 minutes per side. New records now take me 3-4 minutes.

I'm still saving the 3-step for used vinyl. I will used another Osage brush for the Enzyme the 2 DD pads for the wash and rinse. I do 1.5 minutes per side for the Enzyme and Wash (each) and 30 seconds for the rinse. Used vinyl take me about 7-8 minutes.

6. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I have a Hunt, a short Thunderon and a long Thunderon. Typically I use the short Thunderon on the Hunt before I use it on each side. The long Thunderon is used to clean the short Thunderon, or to take a static charge off a record, or even to brush off the platter.

7. russk

russk Forum Resident

Yikes. I just use my my Record Doctor V and the brush it came with and Record Doctor cleaning solution. Put two 1/2 inch wide lines of solution opposite of each other over the playing surface. Spread with brush and scrub for about 2 minutes, forward and backward. Let sit for a minute and flip over and vacuum for 4 slow rotations then repeat for other side, after that slide them into their Mofi sleeve and done.

8. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I've an Okki Nokki RCM and I try to keep the cleaning procedure very simple. I only use one brush- the original goat hair brush works perfectly for me, I don't clean the brush between records, only clean it once after a complete cleaning session. I never rinse the record extra with purified water.

This is my work flow:

1. Starting the platter anti clockwise, dry clean the record with a carbon fiber brush.
    2. Put on L'Art du Son cleaning solution, spreading out the solution and scrubbing the record with the Okki Nokki goat hair brush for 4-5 rotations and sometimes even more if the record is very dirty.
    3. If the record is really dirty I first spread out the solution over the record (avoiding the label of course) and let it stay on for maybe 5-10 minutes dissolving the dirt.
    4. Repeating the procedure above with the platter in clockwise rotation.
    5. Vacuum 2-3 rotations. Repeat 2-5 if the record is very dirty, sometimes repeat multiple times until it's really clean.
    6. Remove the record and before cleaning side 2 I clean the platter with a sticky lint roller.
    7. Repeat 1-5 on side 2.

All this works perfectly for me, my records really get clean and sounds great after a ride on the Okki.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I also use an Okki Nokki with the original brush/etc. I don't scrub, just hold the brush on the record and let it work the liquid round. Does scrubbing cause any scratches? Sometimes I can see that a record could do with a scrub with the brush to get it truly clean but I'm reluctant to do any damage.

GyroSE likes this.
  10. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Mostly I do as you just holding the brush but in some cases I scrub the record gently. So far I've never scratched any records while doing this.

Robert C likes this.
  11. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Good to know! :D

12. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Holy Cow! I never knew how much you guys put into cleaning records... I don't know if I'm missing out on better performance, keeping it simple so I'll use it more or have just started out with good quality records?

I have a Nitty Gritty 1.5. For normal, new and record shop cleaned used vinyl, this is what I've been doing:

1) Wet lips of RCM with Pure 2, place record on RCM
    2) Wet brush that came with RCM with Pure 2
    3) Turn on RCM without VAC and gently hold brush on top side
    4) Spin record about 3-4 time, then turn on vac while still holding wet brush on top another 3 times
    5) Flip record and VAC about 3-4 times

Done. Takes about 1-2 minutes a record.
    I have a few that still have some pops and clicks, am I missing out not doing all this extra steps you guys are discussing?

13. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

IMHO the secret about wet cleaning records with a RCM like the Okki Nokki is to be patient and let the cleaning solution do the "dirty" work. If the dirt is dissolved properly it's easy to mechanically remove the rest with the help of the cleaning brush and then let the vacuum cleaning unit do the final work.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  14. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The supplied brush sucks, it's about as good as using a sponge. I recommend upgrading to a MOFI brush, it does a much better job of getting into the grooves.

The RD-V brush is still useful - I use the bristle side for getting dirt off the felt lips.

15. padreken

padreken Senior Member

Heartily second the recommendation of the MoFi brush. I use a toothbrush to clean off the felt lips of my nearly 20 year old Record Doctor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.