A Most Violent Year

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bill Hart, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident Thread Starter

The title is deceptive; this movie is less about physical violence and more about the choices one makes in the face of calamity. Oscar Issac plays an immigrant business man poised to reach the top rung of a dirty business (the home heating oil business in NYC) in 1981, an era of decay and corruption; his company's trucks are being hijacked, the D.A. is investigating him and he needs to come up with the cash to close on the purchase of a massive terminal facility, or all of his savings are at risk. He is supported by Jessica Chastain, his wife and daughter of a mobster, who keeps offering the easy (and predictable) way out. Instead, Oscar's character strives to play by the rules as the odds keep increasing. The movie has that washed-out look so characteristic of '70s films, and portrays a world just as threatening as the one in the Godfather without the token mobster tropes (which we all love, but which we've all seen too many times since Coppola brought them to life in the original movies). This makes for compelling drama, but not because of guys getting whacked and left in oil drums- the violence here is in some ways deeper and more disturbing, because it presents a world most of us know and live in; one that is unpredictable and unfair and can leave you with nothing through no fault of your own. You watch this unfold with one character to a bitter end. But ultimately, an ennobling film and one that, like its lead character, doesn't take the easy or predictable way out. Well worth the time. Not a fast-paced action thriller, but serious drama, well-written, directed and acted.

jupiterboy, Dudley Morris and sberger like this.
  2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Thanks. I've been thinking of watching this, and now I will.

3. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I had kind of forgotten about this movie, but my wife and I saw it in the theater, and I really enjoyed. Solid movie.

4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I was real interested in seeing this, seemed promising, but sad to say I found it too slow moving & was bored. Just couldn't get into it.

5. Bill Hart

Yes, it was slow, no action as such. Some people had the same reaction to The Good Shepherd, about the history of the CIA- very long, slow. Sorry if my recommendation led you down the wrong path...

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Not at all. I had it on my list of movies to check out months ago after reading some very positive reviews. Just noticed this thread on it, decided to weigh in. Not meaning to threadcrap or anything either, just voicing my opinion, was disappointed in it. Thought the lead actor was amazing though. If they ever shoot a remake of The Godfather (God forbid) he would be the perfect Michael Corleone.

7. Bill Hart

Not a poop at all. Yeah, I took this to be a Godfather movie without all the cliches. However, the cliches are what make it tick!

8. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I can see you mean, but still enjoyed it. I felt like there was threat of violence that could happen at any time that helped to keep it moving along. I hope the lead actor, Oscar Isaac, get the opportunity to act in other quality movies. Jessica Chastain was also very good -- she was elegant high class white trash, with a Mobster background.

9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Agree it was a bit too slow and a bit too long. I wasn't necessarily wanting more action, but it just felt too drawn out. I give it 3/5 stars. If it were edited down a bit, I could probably give it 4/5.

10. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I agree that this was a bit slow moving but Oscar Issac has become one of my favorite actors. I recently watched Show Me a Hero and he was just brilliant.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I'd never even heard of him before but if there is any justice he should be the next DeNiro/Pacino/Hoffman type of successful actor. Just hope he doesn't get swallowed up by Hollywood and turned into a braindead action hero or something like that.

12. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

He was great in Ex Machina as well.

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Holy crap he was in that? I saw it but didn't realize it was him (doh!).

14. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

He was the inventor with the wicked dance moves. :D

15. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Enjoyed this movie quite a bit. Oscar Isaac is quite a good actor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.