Premium New Throwback Era Yamaha Speakers at Tokyo Audio Show

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Nov 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yamaha was displaying their new NS-5000 12" 3-way speakers at the Tokyo Audio Show. Availability ~ summer 2016. Approx. $11,000 US per pair.
    In the tradition of a reported legendary Yamaha speaker, the NS-1000 which I have never experienced.

56GoldTop and Art K like this.
  2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Those should sound very nice. The NS1000 was quite nice, but dated by today's SOTA standards. This new design should offer some significant upgrades, one important one is just being new and so not suffering any detrimental effects of aging. The cost is rather high for the aesthetic IMO.
    -Bill

3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

That's what I find awesome about this - $11,000 monkey coffins in 2015! :edthumbs:

4. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

I could find another adjective besides "awesome"... ;)
    -Bill

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Just get ready for the JBL L100 signature platinum edition, with egg crate foam grills created in a new space age zero-gravity process.

6. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Pretty cool.

7. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Always find it funny people uploading videos to YouTube to show how good their systems sound! Right now I'm listening through my phone's speaker. (Although the clarity of these does seem to shine through :))

Six String and Donniej like this.
  8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I owned the NS1000s for 5 years back in the '80s and they were awesome indeed.

They had their weaknesses, like all speakers. The 12" bass driver had good extension into the lower octave (only down a dB or so at 32Hz) and could pressurize the room easily, but it was slow compared to more nimble bass configurations like the Linn SARA I also owned (nice Isobarik - best speaker on kick drum I had heard).

The midrange and the top end on the Yammies was fabulous and would match anything at that time, and I daresay today. The crossover was complex and the speakers responded to a lot of good clean power - I used a 100w pure Class A Metaxas amp in the final configuration. The beryllium midrange and tweeter were a work of art.

I'd be interested to hear the new Yamahas.

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I have a pair of NS1000s, I need to replace a mid and they aren't easy to find, but I did fire them up, or at least the good one, a few months ago and although I wouldn't swap out my ATC 50s for them I did enjoy the experience and I get why they have a following, it's nice to see Yamaha returning to that space in the market and although I'm unlikely to get the chance I'd love to hear how these new speakers sound.

10. james

james Summon The Queen

Funny. NS-1000's and Saras are both on my itch to scratch list. Would like to hear these new speakers

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

nothing throwback about the price …..

beowulf likes this.
  12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have an opportunity to get a pair of the NS1000s from a friend in a sad situation. His daughter is asking me to sell his equipment for her so I can get them for a song. I'm thinking of replacing a pair of Paradymes in my second system with these. They seem pretty contoversial but people that like them really like them. Are they power suckers? My second system is an old Acoustic Research Integrated amp that is rated at 50W/channel in 8ohms though it measures 60+.
    Still, it's not a big boy so I'm wondering if they would make my amp cry or work well enough. It doesn't get a lot of use and rarely played loud so it might work, but those speakers way 80lbs. Plus the box so I don't want to haul them in the house and haul them back out if I can avoid it.

13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It will work well enough.

14. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

maybe pay your friend the market rate. if you don't like them you can sell them on pretty much for what you paid

15. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I worked for a store that sold NS-1000's 30 years ago. They were nothing special.

Anything from ADS were worlds better in resolutions, dynamics, imaging, you name it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.