Beach Boys vinyl reissues thread.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dvakman, Dec 30, 2014.

1. John D.

John D. Senior Member

They are very good about having sales on things you don't want. :sigh:

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Why did you sell the DCC?

3. AnalogJ

An FYI, AS will send Media Mail if you call them. A single LP I ordered cost me just $3.65 to ship that way. A bargain if you don't want to meet the $89 minimum for free shipping.

scotth likes this.
  4. Dr. Psych

Dr. Psych Member

How do the ones released thus far sound compare to their Capitol green label equivalent? The ones that have a Capitol green label equivalent that is...

5. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Thanks, I didn't know that. I'll keep it in mind in the future. I ordered pet sounds along with some other stuff from soundstage direct because they had a 10% coupon that applied to pre orders and media mail as an option.

6. AnalogJ

I don't know that either. But I knew that Media Mail was out there as an option within the US. I'm not sure why they don't offer it up on their website, though.

7. AnalogJ

I have a beautiful original of Beach Boys Today! I had to go through a few to get one that really sparkled. I had heard a copy at a friend's house and heard "Do You Want To Dance?" and fell in love with the song. Funny, but the first NM original didn't have that same sparkle. Could it have been my system, I thought? I didn't think so, knowing my system. I tried another copy. The third time was the charm, though. A brilliant copy. It was easy to sell the other two as they were truly NM looking. The dead wax information was identical on each, too. Anyway, it's possible that the AP might outdo it, but my original is really great. It's a fine album.

In the meantime, as part of a larger order of AP records on AS's recent 15% sale, I bought a stereo copy of Surfer Girl. I loved what I heard of the stereo mix of "In My Room" on Michael Fremer's website.

Alex Zabotkin and Wade Burrow like this.
  8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The stereo mix of the Surfer Girl album sounds great. It's the only AP I've purchased so far.

Alex Zabotkin and Wade Burrow like this.
  9. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

True

Tommyboy likes this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I've actually owned 3 copies over the years as crazy as it sounds. Sold them all on the forum to use the cash for other things. This time I was prepared to hold onto my most recent copy, but since I've upgraded my system, it didn't sound as good to me as I previously thought. Therefore, I decided to sell it and wait for the AP pressing.

chacha, Alex Zabotkin and FJFP like this.
  11. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Just finished spinning Today. It sounds excellent. I can now toss the McMaster pressing from a few years ago.

12. I just listened to ASL, Today, Summer and Party all in mono - they really sound great and handily beat my original black mono Capitols.
    Waiting for a comparison on the DCC vs. AP before I pick that one up.

Also - any opinions RE: green or yellow label Capitol stereo vs. AP stereo?

13. canada_toque

canada_toque Forum Resident

I see the stereo versions have a release date of Dec 21 on the AcousticSounds site. Overall, I'd happily go for the mono versions but that excellent stereo version of Surfer Girl has forced me to take a wait-and-see-the-reviews approach!

14. Dr. Psych

Dr. Psych Member

First you sold the DCC vinyl and now the Today McMaster pressing and claiming in the other thread that they are better than the green label pressings. Are you sure you aren't jumping the gun a bit and there's no placebo sneaking in there?

15. supermd

supermd Senior Member

One could also argue that keeping the DCC and Today McMaster and claiming they are better than these APs is also placebo. Can't a guy enjoy these new masterings more than the older ones?

Tommyboy likes this.
  16. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Beautiful Thorens and Marantz there!

Canoli and hishou like this.
  17. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I sold the DCC pressings because I needed the money. I still have the McMaster. Ever been down that road??

I've held onto to all of the APs, which are better than the green label pressings. I'm sure most will agree with me. It's ridiculous to suggest the placebo effect. The best mastering engineer in the business cut these albums.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    mikeyt, FashionBoy, Al Smith and 2 others like this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thank you!

FashionBoy and supermd like this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

AP > Green > Yellow

Tommyboy likes this.
  20. Wade Burrow

Wade Burrow Bound to get lucky

AP All Summer Long sounds much better than my previously owned 60's Capital if memory serves. The Vocals sound good and clear on my system on most tracks, the overall sound is not very detailed and a bit murky in the mid range but still a very enjoyable listen. Kind of a soft sound I guess. The last 3 Tracks on Side 2 sound pretty bad to me to be honest, demo quality. "Don't Back Down" starts out really muddy like a worn out tape like sound but livens up a bit midway through. Maybe there is tape damage on that track, I'm curious to hear from others about that track and if it's like that on other releases. Very glad to have this release despite some of my personal qualms, AP did another superb job on the overall quality.

21. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

No, it's not you. They sound pretty bad. Is it the mix or tape damage? Wow

Sound quality goes downhill after Wendy, although The Girls on the Beach sounds nice. It has to be tape damage.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  22. Wade Burrow

Listening to Today right now and I think this record was better recorded and mixed. The songs are so beautiful and the sound is full, and though they lack detail and clarity I very much enjoy the listen. I'm just not a Phil Spector Wall of Sound fan.

Tommyboy likes this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

[QUOTE="Wade Burrow, post: 13389134, member: The last 3 Tracks on Side 2 sound pretty bad to me to be honest, demo quality. "Don't Back Down" starts out really muddy like a worn out tape like sound but livens up a bit midway through. Maybe there is tape damage on that track, I'm curious to hear from others about that track and if it's like that on other releases. Very glad to have this release despite some of my personal qualms, AP did another superb job on the overall quality.[/QUOTE]

All mono releases of the 'All Summer Long' album have had these aforementioned issues regarding "Drive In" and "Dont Back Down". They've always sounded like that, unfortunately. Something went screwy back in '64.

mr. scratchy esq and Tommyboy like this.
  24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

All mono releases of the 'All Summer Long' album have had these aforementioned issues regarding "Drive In" and "Dont Back Down". They've always sounded like that, unfortunately. Something went screwy back in '64.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

I never listened to All Summer Long before. For the most part, it's a strong album.

25. Wade Burrow

Summer Days and Summer Nights is sounding really good to me. Much clearer in the Mid Range and Punchier on the drums as well. California Girls sounded so good I got a little self conscious singing along sitting next to my wife. Maybe I enjoyed that one a little too much!

Tommyboy likes this.