Stephen Colbert: Not funny?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by erniebert, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Why Ted Nugent?

2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Diametrical opposite of James Taylor (and Colbert) politically and ideologically.
    Would make for more interesting TV than Stevie's usual liberal sausage fest.

jriems likes this.
  3. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

That's what I assumed. :rolleyes:

4. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Why would he have Ted Nugent on? He hasn't had a hit in 40 years.

3rd Uncle Bob likes this.
  5. Lightworker

You mean that James Taylor has? I must have missed it.

6. zebop

James Taylor just had his first #1 album Before This World this past spring. That's a hit...

905, Billy Infinity, danner and 2 others like this.
  7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i watched for the first few days........skipped a few days....went back......i guess i just don't get him, his whole delivery seems forced, if you know what i mean.

whereas jimmy fallon actually seems fake at times, i think he pretends to laugh at guests and he pretends to be paying attention, but his mind is elsewhere.

neither of them are even close to leno and letterman, and neither could even tie carson's shoe.

Lightworker likes this.
  8. Lightworker

I guess "low-T" Boomers still buy CDs. What's your point? The only redeeming aspect of Colbert's show for me is the house band anyway.

9. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I don't recall Carson, Leno, Letterman, Fallon, or Kimmel doing this, so I don't see why Colbert should. I think Conan O'Brien did, but he just loves old 70's rock. The last place that I saw Nugent was on That Metal Show. Eddie Trunk pretty much gave him half the show.

He hardly creates some type of political echo chamber on his current show. I doubt it even enters his mind. It's a variety show. He's not into shibboleths.

Even if he did, I would hardly call shows with Jane Fonda and Carly Simon sausage fests.

Billy Infinity, danner and OldSoul like this.
  10. zebop

Looks like the holidays started early over there!

11. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I imagine someone is gonna wanna be playing Adele at that table.

zebop likes this.
  12. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Jimmy Kimmel is on at 10 pm tonight. I'll have to watch.

zebop likes this.
  13. Lightworker

???

14. Lightworker

You can't be serious. At least I can admit the spin in the shows that I enjoy. Y'all are swimming in that river in Egypt...Denial.

15. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Methinks thou protests too much. I mean, at least everyone else is critiquing Colbert's comedic chops. Some think he's hilarious. Some think he's untalented. I can respect either position. You, on the other hand, seem obsessed on this one area (which is dangerously close to being against forum rules anyway).

Look, when I watch Stephanie Miller, John Oliver, or Larry Wilmore, I know what I'm getting. There is not going to be any attempt at balance or civility. Their comedy comes from a specific point of view and the shows are tailored to skew that way. This was true of Colbert's previous show, but not his current one. If some people still feel like he is somehow using his position as an indoctrination station, that is by accident, not design. He is certainly more respectful of people who disagree with him than Letterman ever was. The only time that Colbert was ever antagonistic to anyone on The Late Show was to an individual who was blatantly presenting false facts as true. Even then, he was simply correcting him. Of course, some people think it is worse to be rude than inaccurate.

But, hey, it's a free country. You can believe what you want.

Billy Infinity, Pete Puma and OldSoul like this.
  16. Lightworker

17. Lightworker

Only in the totalitarian mind would one think that a guest should be "corrected" on a comedy show.
    Were you a Red Chinese university student in 1967? You are actually a lot funnier than Colbert.

18. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

OMG! You've exposed him! Colbert was purposely installed by the Bilderbergs, the Rothchilds, the Rockefellers, the Illuminati, the Trilateral Commission, the Freemasons, and Bechtel to bring about the New World Order! He hires a bunch of Buddhist writers, too!

Bless your heart.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

P.S. I was conceived in 1967.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  19. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

:laughup::biglaugh:

20. Lightworker

As Bo Diddley once said: "I can tell..."

21. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Principal Vernon: You think about this: when you get old, these kids - when I get old - they're going to be running the country.

Carl: Yeah.

Principal Vernon: Now this is the thought that wakes me up in the middle of the night. That when I get older, these kids are going to take care of me.

Carl: I wouldn't count on it.

22. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I agree 100%, I clicked on the link and the entire segment was just not funny, and it lasted forever! For me, I just could never get past the name pronunciation thing, Colebert, VS Cole-bear, and it was a struggle for him to make that monumental change, come on, who cares, and he admits there was a pretentious element in that name pronunciation decision. Couple that with the fact he is just comes across so metro, just not a fit for me.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Lightworker likes this.
  23. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I have yet to see his new "Late Show" (I don't stay up that late anymore, I'm old...haha) Loved the "Colbert Report" though.

24. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Maybe Ted will crap his pants again. That would make for good TV.

25. Lightworker

Lotsa hater on here. Happy Thanksgiving!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.